Truck maintenance before hunting trips

tttoadman

WKR
My 95 powerstroke has 330K and just keeps rolling. It is a little weak on pressure, so it doesn't always like to start well. I stuff my generator in the back of the canopy so I can run the block heater and the battery charger during late season. It is really incredible how bad a rig can start after sitting in the 15-20deg cold for a week or more.

My advise is don't be afraid of using low range on those serious downhill descents to save on the brakes.

Brendan

WKR
They make a pocket size jump pack that they say can jump 15 diesel trucks on 1 charge but I don't own one yet but they are around $250 on snap on truck I think I am sure you can find cheaper online

Not sure how all of these work, hopefully some better than others. A friend tested one (not snap-on) and he had to warm it up to room temperature before it would jump his 6 cyl passenger car this past winter, and that is freshly charged the day before. So - bring one, but I'd be worried about relying on it.

One thing you didn't mention was radiator and heater hoses. How old are they and are they in good shape. Also make sure you put on new wiper blades. It's nice to be able to use your wipers and windshield fluid after driving on dusty dirt roads.

I replace my radiator hoses every three to four years, and the cooling system gets flushed when I change the hoses. At least test the anti-freeze, making sure it is protecting the engine at low temps. Look at the belts, also. I change the main (serpentine) belt every three years, and keep the one I take off as a spare.

Last edited:

WoodsWalker270

Lil-Rokslider
I changed the spark plugs and brake pads/rotors on my truck this past weekend. New tires and coolant flush still on the to do list. I also bought a set of recovery boards for cheap insurance.

OP
nrh6.7

nrh6.7

WKR
You can check u joints for play or if you see and rust color dust around caps if none there I would not change then. Best way to check is pull drive shaft out and move then by hand to make sure not binding. Most time batteries are good for about 5 years. What type truck do you have (year,make,model,eng size)

Thanks for the info, I'll have a look at them and decide. Truck is a 2011 F-250 with the ps diesel.

OP
nrh6.7

nrh6.7

WKR
Yep same here. 24 hours from here to Chama.

You and Brendan need to find a way to move closer! I'm dropping hints to my wife weekly that we need to move west. She's a teacher and I own my own business and can work from anywhere, but she doesn't like the cold.

You and Brendan need to find a way to move closer! I'm dropping hints to my wife weekly that we need to move west. She's a teacher and I own my own business and can work from anywhere, but she doesn't like the cold.
Could never convince the wife to leave her family and grand kids here. Wouldn't stop me from moving to Chama though. They could visit us any time they wanted !! Except during hunting season.

Brendan

WKR

I'd get west if I could - 36 hours or so for me to get to Western MT. Job and family make it tough, but enjoying myself in every way I can. Retirement - maybe that gives me a better shot of spending part of the year out west...

Sage

FNG
fire extinguisher and shovel is need in some states in fire season. electrical tape and fuses are handy to.

I take a toolbox full everything I'd need for most repairs. That includes the fuel filter socket. I also carry a spare lift pump, 3 fuel filters and a belt. That goes along with the chains and small shovel for recovery. Don't forget the 5 gallon jug of extra fuel.

I change all the fluid and filters before I leave. Those battery jump packs won't start a diesel, mine anyways, if the batteries are dead.

My truck is a diesel, so I don't have to worry about the whole helicoil spark plug thing. And since it's a Cummins, it always starts in the winter without the block heater.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

robloft

FNG
We will be renting a truck for the trip. I have one that is capable but after I had a lifter go bad and the repairs, rental, shipping my truck home 2 weeks later costed me a few thousand It makes me nervous for any long roads trips. So the few hundred bucks it will cost to rent a truck for piece of mind that if Shit breaks then they give me a new one, I’m good with that to save my trip.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Where are you renting the truck?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My 95 powerstroke has 330K and just keeps rolling. It is a little weak on pressure, so it doesn't always like to start well. I stuff my generator in the back of the canopy so I can run the block heater and the battery charger during late season. It is really incredible how bad a rig can start after sitting in the 15-20deg cold for a week or more.

My advise is don't be afraid of using low range on those serious downhill descents to save on the brakes.

Put a starter from an 03 7.3, or any of the aftermarket 4kw starters on it, make sure you get the nippondenso style. That starter makes even the most worn out ones start pretty good. Probably the best money spent on a 7.3 powerstroke. The starter will be 2 bolt instead of 3, and sometimes a little bit of grinding on the crossmember is needed, but well worth the huge increase in cranking speed.

uzikaduzi

FNG
can we expand on this a bit? how capable does a truck need to be elk hunting? does a stock 4x4 truck work or do you need winches and lifts and big mud tires?

i'm in texas and at the moment an elk hunt is still a dream for me, but down here it seems like everyone thinks they need a 1 ton diesel with a lift and 37's when in reality almost any stock truck will do and i can't even remember needing to turn on my 4wd besides when goofing around.

tttoadman

WKR

Put a starter from an 03 7.3, or any of the aftermarket 4kw starters on it, make sure you get the nippondenso style. That starter makes even the most worn out ones start pretty good. Probably the best money spent on a 7.3 powerstroke. The starter will be 2 bolt instead of 3, and sometimes a little bit of grinding on the crossmember is needed, but well worth the huge increase in cranking speed.

Thank you. I looked into it earlier and it wasn't crystal clear what I needed. Thanks for the clarity.

New Mexico, especially southern NM, is anything but cold. :D

I typically make sure I'm not too far into a fresh oil change and check fluids. Keep tow ropes, a shovel, jumper cables, water, tire slime, Fix a Flat, basic toolbox, etc with me. I've got a pair of 2000 watt Honda generators...I might start throwing one in along with a battery charger for a just in case thing. I really need to invest in a Hi-Point type jack and a 2nd spare too...one of these days :)

Brendan

WKR
can we expand on this a bit? how capable does a truck need to be elk hunting? does a stock 4x4 truck work or do you need winches and lifts and big mud tires?

i'm in texas and at the moment an elk hunt is still a dream for me, but down here it seems like everyone thinks they need a 1 ton diesel with a lift and 37's when in reality almost any stock truck will do and i can't even remember needing to turn on my 4wd besides when goofing around.

Stock 4x4 is fine - just be smart about it. 3 years I've gone I could've gotten away with a front wheel drive rental car from Hertz if it would have fit my crap. Last year - we got snow, hit some rougher roads, but my stock F150 was fine, I just have new slightly more aggressive A/T tires. I bring chains, high lift jack, pry bar, recovery straps, but have never used them.

OP
nrh6.7

nrh6.7

WKR
All my goodies have arrived, so if anyone wants free beer in the FW area in exchange for a little help, come on by!

zbw9hqQ.jpg