Truck maintenance before hunting trips

nrh6.7

WKR
I have been putting off some basic maintenance on my truck lately so I ordered a bunch of fluids and filters to get it all done before Sept. Got me thinking about what others do to their vehicles before a big trip. I'd like to hear any ideas that I might have missed that could lead to a hassle free road trip.

So far I'm changing front and rear diff fluid, transfer case, oil and filter, both fuel filters, trans filter and fluid exchange and lubing the whole front end. Also putting 5 new tires on a few weeks before leaving.

It's gonna be a busy couple of weekends in the driveway for me.

diyguy

FNG
I have always before any trip done simple things, Pads and Rotors being the top of the list. I change them every August just before scouting for goose season really kicks off and then I know they will be good throughout the year on all my various trips out of state. I also make sure to check the serp belt and the plugs and wires. Before my first big trip to MT I replaced everything that was within reach for me and it worked out well for me. Better to do it now than to be in the middle of nowhere and have something go wrong in my opinion!!

NV HUNTER

WKR
Tires have always been a thorn in my side. These Nevada mountains really beat a guy's vehicle up. Cracked a rim last month on a fishing trip.

Belts, fluids,tires are checked every trip .

oldgoat

WKR
I put gas in it and windshield wiper fluid and check the oil, kind of like on any other 60 to 100 mile trip.

muddydogs

WKR
I find it's easier to keep my vehicles maintained as they need it so unless I'm close to an oil change and will go way over on a trip I don't do anything. Then again a 1000 mile road trip is nothing big to me so I don't get to concerned about jumping in the pickup and heading off.

One thing I have seen on several mountain trips the last few years is guys not checking their tire chains for fitment. With tire heights/widths ever changing on trucks nowadays it seems quite popular for folks just to toss their chains in and never dry-fit beforehand to see if their old chains fit their new ride. In addition to overall tire issues, front tire clearances on a lot of newer trucks/SUV's isn't what it used to be and aggressive chains can pretty quickly chew up tight fenderwells and all of the electronics the manufacturers are seeming to locate there in recent model years. Just one of those little things that is often forgotten as people load up it seems.

As for me, my truck is old and hasn't changed in many years and isn't likely to soon, so...….

Last edited:

Gr8bawana

WKR
One thing you didn't mention was radiator and heater hoses. How old are they and are they in good shape. Also make sure you put on new wiper blades. It's nice to be able to use your wipers and windshield fluid after driving on dusty dirt roads.

Wapiti1

WKR
I don't do a lot to my truck pre-trip, but I also keep up on it. Usually an oil change and a check of the fluids is all. Then I'm off on a 3000-5000 mile trip. Now, I have broken a few things while out in the boonies, so....

What I spend my time on is my emergency tool kit. U-joints, belts, hoses, antifreeze, slime tire fix, a couple of tire plugs (hate to use them, but sometimes you have no choice), tire patches, a couple of schrader valves, a couple of bolt on air stems, tire inflator, anti-gel for diesel, roll of duct tape, roll of wire, tools to get it done and two bottles of heet. A hi-lift jack, tow chains, ratchet straps and shovel round it out. For advanced users, learn how to un-mount a tire with a hi-lift jack. Re-mount with a ratchet strap and inflator. See youtube for details.

Loggerchas has a solid point on chains. Know what your truck will take, and make certain you can put them on without driving onto them. You should have enough extra slack to drape them over the tire and get them secured in place. Use wire to tie up the loose ends, and check your stretchers are in good shape. Sometimes you need the chains after you are stuck. Sometimes things thaw out and all of a sudden your truck wants to slide sideways or won't move at all.

Everyone have a safe and fun season.

Jeremy

Smash

Lil-Rokslider
We will be renting a truck for the trip. I have one that is capable but after I had a lifter go bad and the repairs, rental, shipping my truck home 2 weeks later costed me a few thousand It makes me nervous for any long roads trips. So the few hundred bucks it will cost to rent a truck for piece of mind that if Shit breaks then they give me a new one, I’m good with that to save my trip.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
nrh6.7

nrh6.7

WKR
I should add that I am always up on maintenance, but my truck has 112k miles and is now due for most of what I have planned anyways. Forgot to mention that I'm also replacing the belt.

loggerchas, don't have chains yet, but will be checking at home before leaving.

Gb8bawana, also replacing blades and adding fluid but hadn't thought about rad hoses. I'll check into that.

Question to all: what are you thoughts about preemptively changing u joints? Mine are currently fine but with the mileage I have I'd much rather do it in the driveway than on a mountain somewhere. Front drive axles are new when I replaced all front end parts about 25k miles ago, but drive shaft joints are original.

OP
nrh6.7

nrh6.7

WKR
I don't do a lot to my truck pre-trip, but I also keep up on it. Usually an oil change and a check of the fluids is all. Then I'm off on a 3000-5000 mile trip. Now, I have broken a few things while out in the boonies, so....

What I spend my time on is my emergency tool kit. U-joints, belts, hoses, antifreeze, slime tire fix, a couple of tire plugs (hate to use them, but sometimes you have no choice), tire patches, a couple of schrader valves, a couple of bolt on air stems, tire inflator, anti-gel for diesel, roll of duct tape, roll of wire, tools to get it done and two bottles of heet. A hi-lift jack, tow chains, ratchet straps and shovel round it out. For advanced users, learn how to un-mount a tire with a hi-lift jack. Re-mount with a ratchet strap and inflator. See youtube for details.

Loggerchas has a solid point on chains. Know what your truck will take, and make certain you can put them on without driving onto them. You should have enough extra slack to drape them over the tire and get them secured in place. Use wire to tie up the loose ends, and check your stretchers are in good shape. Sometimes you need the chains after you are stuck. Sometimes things thaw out and all of a sudden your truck wants to slide sideways or won't move at all.

Jeremy

Great points Jeremy. I have everything you listed except for u joints and hoses, and am considering both of those. I like to keep all my tools and such in milk crates in my tool box. Also know how to use the hi lift jack to change tires. Picked up a couple long tire spoons and have a large pry bar also. The ratchet strap trick is good also, but I also keep bead goop to help them seat. Viair compressor will be here tomorrow to air them back up.

Last edited:

Brendan

WKR
Replace old batteries, even if they test fine - cheap preventative maintenance. Had my truck die a long way from the main road last year and got bailed out by a nice guy at the trailhead... Battery still tested fine when I went to the local auto store, but definitely wasn't holding a charge in the cold like a younger one would.

Billinsd

WKR
Belts and radiator hoses are important to check. If I'm close to needing to maintenence, like changing oil I'll do that. Say, I'm driving 4,000 miles total for trip, I'll take care of what won't wait until I come back. It's most important to check, like preflighting an airplane.

My truck stays maintained but I carry a shovel, recovery kit, air compressor, back-up starter battery, food, water and emergency shelter just in case. A 4000+ mile round-trip drive to hunt is not unusual.

Netherman

WKR

Jeremy

I really like this list. We obsess over our personal medical kit but I haven't seen many threads on truck/vehicle repair tool. I really should put more thought into this, as most of my problems have been truck and not body related (knock on wood). Two years ago my truck puked a spark plug. Running on 7 and sleeping in an autozone parking lot is not how I wanted to start my trip. Luckily I hadn't gotten too far west and had options. Now I've got the helicoil kit, spark plug, high temp RTV, and a new coil (truck is coil on plug) in my repair bag.

Now that I'm thinking about it, two things I need to look into are a battery jump pack and an air compressor. Anyone have recommendations?

Adam B

FNG
You can check u joints for play or if you see and rust color dust around caps if none there I would not change then. Best way to check is pull drive shaft out and move then by hand to make sure not binding. Most time batteries are good for about 5 years. What type truck do you have (year,make,model,eng size)

Adam B

FNG
They make a pocket size jump pack that they say can jump 15 diesel trucks on 1 charge but I don't own one yet but they are around $250 on snap on truck I think I am sure you can find cheaper online