Colorado Leftover List

johnhenry

Lil-Rokslider
Colorado just posted the leftover tag list.
In the number of tags available column they are at times using the term "Float" instead of stating the number of tags available.
I can't find any explanation of this.
Anyone knows what it means?

ckleeves

WKR
I haven’t looked, but it probably means that the number above it for the same unit but different season is the total number of tags available. Doesn’t matter if they go for a second season tag or third season tag for example. Basically you pick the season you want until the unit is sold out. That’s how it’s been in the past, they just haven’t said “float” I think it was noted with a “*” before. I could be wrong but that my best guess.

your right ckleeves. Say unit x has 100 tags for 2nd, 3rd, and 4th. That number is distributed by applicants per year. So one year it could have 60, 20, 20 or the following year it could be 20, 50, 30 depending on how people apply.

topher89

WKR
Just so I am clear on the process, tags that got turned in will not be posted until the 14th right? The tags that are on this list right now were either not chosen in the draw or not paid for, correct?

I have sour grapes right now, I drew my 3rd choice antlerless deer tag but there are 3 left overs of my 1st choice and 41 of my second choice. Same thing with my antelope tag, 14 of my 1st choice.

KEVINSENC

Lil-Rokslider
I dont understand it either, I didn't draw a tag but I see that my third choice has several leftover tags in it, not sure how it all works so I emailed them to see if I could get some clarification on it...

This whole leftover tag frustration by topher and KEVIN happens every year now. I didn't draw my second choice buck tag but there's a whopping 40+ tags available on the leftover list. Don't get mad, that's just how the system works. People don't pay or turn their tags in for whatever reason so now is your chance to pick them up again. Just don't pick up the tags I want ;)

topher89

WKR
This whole leftover tag frustration by topher and KEVIN happens every year now. I didn't draw my second choice buck tag but there's a whopping 40+ tags available on the leftover list. Don't get mad, that's just how the system works. People don't pay or turn their tags in for whatever reason so now is your chance to pick them up again. Just don't pick up the tags I want ;)

I am hoping to pick up my buck tag and walk into 3rd season with a buck and doe tag. Fill my meat tag and hold out for a higher quality buck!

topher89

WKR
I dont understand it either, I didn't draw a tag but I see that my third choice has several leftover tags in it, not sure how it all works so I emailed them to see if I could get some clarification on it...

Post up their response here. I would be interested

Both our first and 2nd choices and another unit we hunt have leftover tags. Hopefully can get in quick and get them. Would beat OTC for sure. Can't believe that all the years we have hunted CO we haven't done that.

Actually we've only hunted OTC twice, and one was by choice.

Just to clarify, if you are successful at picking up a leftover tag, do you still keep your points? That’s the way I interpret it but hoping for clarification.

Another question: if you have a draw unit LE tag, can you hunt OTC units with that same tag? In case you want to hunt with a buddy in an OTC unit before hunting your LE unit.

topher89

WKR
Just to clarify, if you are successful at picking up a leftover tag, do you still keep your points? That’s the way I interpret it but hoping for clarification.

Another question: if you have a draw unit LE tag, can you hunt OTC units with that same tag? In case you want to hunt with a buddy in an OTC unit before hunting your LE unit.

Leftover tags do not affect your points.

No, if you have an LE tag you are limited to the units on the tag and cannot hunt OTC units. I would look into getting a second tag though. A lot of Antlerless tags are 'B' tags which means you can get one. You can have two 'B' tags or an 'A' and a 'B' tag

I still cannot believe how much an out of state cow tag costs in colorado. Some time this January Land owners will be begging people to shoot cows, The DWM's will spend half their days dealing with angry land owners and depredation issues, and biologists will be talking about areas where there are just too many elk. but they want $500 for a B cow tag that will likely go unsold. I would love to purchase a cow tag to go along with my third season deer tag but for that price no way. I will pay my $700 for my archery tag and I will hunt hard and hope to get a bull. I really wish they cut us a break on that second cow tag. It just doesnt make sense. that was my winefest for the day. going back now to the blissfullness of realizing i get to go hunting in three weeks. :)

Last edited:
I still cannot believe how much an out of state cow tag costs in colorado. Some time this January Land owners will be begging people to shoot cows, The DWM's will spend half their days dealing with angry land owners and depredation issues, and biologists will be talking about areas where there are just too many elk. but they want $500 for a B cow tag that will likely go unsold. I would love to purchase a cow tag to go along with my third season deer tag but for that price no way. I will pay my $700 for my archery tag and I will hunt hard and hope to get a bull. I really wish they cut us a break on that second cow tag. It just doesnt make sense. that was my winefest for the day. going back now to the blissfullness of realizing i get to go hunting in three weeks. :)

In total agreement. If that makes me a whinny little girl in some peoples eyes, I can live with that too. If Colorado wants to reduce cow numbers then lower the dang price so people buy the tags.