Colorado Leftover List

I believe this is false. Reissued tags will be available August 14th, see bottom of page Colorado Parks & Wildlife -
License Refund, Reissue & Exchange
. Any tags seen on the list now were either truly leftover, or unpaid for tags.

They've had similar numbers of "leftover" tags at this juncture each of the last two years on tags that were all drawn out in the normal draw. The last two years they required payment up front, so how would those tags have been unpaid for? I’m fairly certain this list we’re seeing includes reissued tags that were turned in early on in the process, though they don’t verbalize it that way because it would be even more confusing. A friend of mine works for CPW and he's confirmed that to me before. It would be nice if they explained the process more correctly.

Bulldawg

WKR
I don’t, it’s still an elk/deer tag and your residency hasn’t changed so why should it be that cost? Heck non residents have a huge advantage this year compared to years past.

I do think that any leftover licenses should be at the same price as a resident.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sndmn11

WKR
They've had similar numbers of "leftover" tags at this juncture each of the last two years on tags that were all drawn out in the normal draw. The last two years they required payment up front, so how would those tags have been unpaid for? I’m fairly certain this list we’re seeing includes reissued tags that were turned in early on in the process, though they don’t verbalize it that way because it would be even more confusing. A friend of mine works for CPW and he's confirmed that to me before. It would be nice if they explained the process more correctly.

I am just reading the rules and laws, not intending to argue. The reissue process follows this law Colorado Wildlife Regulation Chapter 16, Article​​ IV, #1670. It looks like the law is dated 3/7/2018, so if that is correct, this is a different process than last year. If that is incorrect, then a majority of what is on teh refund page i linked earlier is false and the page is pointless. http://cpw.state.co.us/Documents/RulesRegs/Regulations/Ch16.pdf

Maybe your buddy will have some insight?

sndmn11

WKR
I don’t, it’s still an elk/deer tag and your residency hasn’t changed so why should it be that cost? Heck non residents have a huge advantage this year compared to years past.

Well, everyone is limited per the A, B, C licenses, and the tag quotas are intended to help population numbers meet or maintain objectives. If there is a genuine need for the harvest numbers to be met but the tags intended to help with that go unused, it would seem that either lowering the price or modifying the A, B,C requirement would help with that. I hate seeing tags sitting leftover when in theory they are at least partially intended to help with healthy population numbers.

In other words, if there are 100 tags sitting unused, and Farmer John from Iowa says he would buy two for one, would anyone rather see them go unsold/unused, or would you rather see at least some money made off of them and their intention of helping the population at least attempted?

ckleeves

WKR
They have absolutely no reason to offer leftovers at a reduced cost. That list will be wiped out of anything decent in 30 seconds provided the system doesn’t crash like usual.

Some of the deer tags on that list cost 2500.00 if they were LO vouchers. There is an elk tag that takes 14 points as a non-res to draw. I would happily pay non-res prices for either if it meant getting one.

I am just reading the rules and laws, not intending to argue. The reissue process follows this law Colorado Wildlife Regulation Chapter 16, Article​​ IV, #1670. It looks like the law is dated 3/7/2018, so if that is correct, this is a different process than last year. If that is incorrect, then a majority of what is on teh refund page i linked earlier is false and the page is pointless. http://cpw.state.co.us/Documents/RulesRegs/Regulations/Ch16.pdf

Maybe your buddy will have some insight?

You're absolutely right that if CPW is doing what they say they're doing then there's no reissued tags in the leftover list. What I've said before and will repeat is that, according to my buddy at CPW and how we've seen the process go down for two years already, reissued tags that were turned in early on get thrown into the leftover list. I'm not arguing or saying I'm right; honestly I don't see why it matters regardless. Just trying to offer my knowledge in the event that it helps someone make sense of it all.

Maybe someone else with more inside knowledge can chime in.

sndmn11

WKR
You're absolutely right that if CPW is doing what they say they're doing then there's no reissued tags in the leftover list. What I've said before and will repeat is that, according to my buddy at CPW and how we've seen the process go down for two years already, reissued tags that were turned in early on get thrown into the leftover list. I'm not arguing or saying I'm right; honestly I don't see why it matters regardless. Just trying to offer my knowledge in the event that it helps someone make sense of it all.

I suppose the only way we will know is if there are a bunch of tags that show up on 8/14.

sndmn11

WKR
They have absolutely no reason to offer leftovers at a reduced cost. That list will be wiped out of anything decent in 30 seconds provided the system doesn’t crash like usual.

Some of the deer tags on that list cost 2500.00 if they were LO vouchers. There is an elk tag that takes 14 points as a non-res to draw. I would happily pay non-res prices for either if it meant getting one.

I should have worded what I said better. By "leftover" I meant those tags that are genuinely leftover and unclaimed after all of this shotgun start purchasing is done....like in September or so.

ckleeves

WKR
I should have worded what I said better. By "leftover" I meant those tags that are genuinely leftover and unclaimed after all of this shotgun start purchasing is done....like in September or so.

Ok I see where your coming from. Most of the tags left after a few months I’m not sure if reduced prices would help a whole lot. Maybe a little bit, but if the residents aren’t touching them at resident prices there is usually a reason. Tough access, very low success and PLO tags seem to be what is usually left after a few months. I would imagine they plan for this, if a hunt code hasn’t sold out the past few years they probably don’t expect it to this year.

topher89

WKR
I don't think a price change for non-residents would help sell out all the tags. The tags that are never purchased, the true leftovers that do not get bought are private-land, whitetail only or tags in units that are basically 100% private. People aren't buying those tags because they are hard to access or low success.

Fitzwho

WKR
I think I know the answer to this, but can't find anything lined out specifically...

Are B tags cheaper than A tags? I noticed that there are antelope doe tags available for the same Pronghorn buck hunt that I have. As a non-resident, does that doe tag still cost me $396?

topher89

WKR
I think I know the answer to this, but can't find anything lined out specifically...

Are B tags cheaper than A tags? I noticed that there are antelope doe tags available for the same Pronghorn buck hunt that I have. As a non-resident, does that doe tag still cost me $396?

Same price.

sndmn11

WKR
Ok I see where your coming from. Most of the tags left after a few months I’m not sure if reduced prices would help a whole lot. Maybe a little bit, but if the residents aren’t touching them at resident prices there is usually a reason. Tough access, very low success and PLO tags seem to be what is usually left after a few months. I would imagine they plan for this, if a hunt code hasn’t sold out the past few years they probably don’t expect it to this year.

Yeah, all of those PLO tags stick around, and there isn't much one can do about that. I do agree that there is probably a consideration given by the powers that be to those numbers to account for the obstacles. My examples would be EF0060xxR, EF011xxR, EF012xxR.....those alone amount to over 5000 licenses. That is enough to satisfy all complainers on facebook and the three most popular forums and get them out hunting and not starting a computer riot. I would place a small wager that there will still be some of these leftover come December. I am out of A and Bs, and I woudl imagine a lot of folks probably are as well. So, either allowing more Bs, or lowering the price would get all the tags sold. Even if they went from $500NR to $200NR after a certain point in time, that is more money than not selling them, and still hundreds of thousands of dollars.

I only regret that for deer my 3rd choice which I drew is an A, and my first two choices which I did not draw now have leftovers and are A as well. First year in many that I did not get my first/second choice so I didn't look ahead this far to really care a lot about what class my third choice tag was. My bad....(note to self.....)

Danggitt!

Last edited:

sndmn11

WKR

I had time to look through the numbers tonight a lot more than i had during the day, and there seems to be more tags available in areas that had a fire than there should be. So, I am believing now that the leftover list has turn ins, and not just unpaid and undrawn.