Truck Topper to buy or not to buy

I have read a couple threads about truck toppers and it made me start thinking. We recently just sold our camper and now I am thinking I need to have a truck topper so I can still do some non-backcountry camping. My dilemma is, is this a want or is this a need? I have a Cimmaron I use for backcountry but I am not sure how it will fair out using as a truck camp. What are the benefits of the topper? For those that have them, how do you haul a four wheeler if you choose to take one? How do you haul wood, etc. ? It has been hard for me to justify a topper when I bought the truck for the bed and not an SUV. Any advice, tips or criticism.

Thanks,

Wyobowhunter

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

gelton

WKR
I have a topper and for me its main purpose is keeping my gear out of the sun, out of eyesight, and protected to keep honest people honest. I usually go out of state to hunt, and its usually sitting by a trail head for 10-14 days at a time with ~ 1-2K worth of goodies, coolers and back up gear.

It also is good if you have large pets that travel in the back of your pickup for long drives as it keeps them much cooler and or warmer depending.

My 2016 Chevy's bed is less than 6ft so, while I have used it to sleep in during snowstorms and the like, that wasnt the initial reason to include the topper. If I were only looking for something to camp in, in the back country by the truck, I would get a canvas wall tent instead.

As for wood hauling and the like, you can carry more than you would want to load even with a topper. For all the rest I use a trailer to haul my UTV but I havent ever brought it hunting.

Jet-Tac

FNG
Loved my topper and for the same reasons basically to keep my gear and self out of the sun rain etc. I use my trailer when hauling anything that doesn't fit in the bed under the cap. If you want to keep the bed but still camp non-back country check out some roof racks and some roof top tent systems.

Fatcamp

WKR
For us the schedule we have to work around is tight this fall. To be able to hunt we need to be as efficient as possible. My experience shows that a topper will help with that. We have a really nice camp setup, but it takes time, which we don't have. Being able to leave at the drop of a hat, sleep at rest areas, and be able to hit the ground running when we arrive are all significant advantages for us.

Found a Leer fiberglass for $200 with a roof rack. Using a tailgate platform large enough for two large coolers. Plywood and carpet inside with a full queen size mattress from home. Wired to charge phones and provide light. Carry a simple five gallon bucket style toilet that uses contractor bags.

My only chance at hunting much this fall is based upon this working out for us. Fingers crossed.

OP
WyoBowhunter21
Thanks for the replies! Those are some very good reasons. I don’t own a four wheeler or UTV but someday I would like to have one. There are some places in Wyoming that you can only access by a 50” vehicle and than walk from the trailhead to some really good hunting. I do have a two place snow machine trailer and that is what I was thinking I would use. Keep the uses/replies coming. I appreciate it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

H2PVon

Lil-Rokslider
Mine comes off in the spring and on in the fall. The dogs ride in back with a top and in kennels. Small trailer for ATV if needed during fall/winter although I really only use it for plowing and not hunting.

CX5Ranch

WKR
If I wasn't constantly pulling gooseneck trailers and hauling who knows what I would have one. But farming and logging wont allow it. I would probably go with a tonneau cover myself.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

JWP58

WKR
Dont have an atv, so I cant comment. Haul wood? Stack the bed full to the roof, back to the tailgate. I think you can haul just as much with one.

Fatcamp

WKR
There are a couple YouTube videos on solo removal.

The simple way seems to be ratchet straps from the garage joists.

FreeRange

WKR
I'll add my vote for a topper. I've got a Chevy 2500 with the regular bed, built two side shelves that go inside the wheel wells to the top of the bed and an accordian folding section of plywood in the middle so I can have a full middle deck when I want it. Rifles, trekking poles, tripods all have a place above or in front of the wheel wells, totes and ice chests on the bottom, packs and other gear on the top and everything is nice and organized and right there in front of you. If I ever truck camp on a hunt it's usually just a get in at 10PM leave at 4AM type of thing and putting up a tent for that short of a night drives me crazy. Much better to just climb in the shell. Fitting antlers inside is the only tough part of this setup which is only a problem in California when you drive through Los Angeles with an elk rack strapped to the top of your truck.

Whitty

FNG
I also have a topper and view it as critical to keep my gear dry, secure, and out of sight. I built a platform that is even with the wheel wells with two drawers underneath. I can store rifle, coleman stove, food, extra clothes, tarps, etc. in the drawers and toss packs, coolers, critters, etc. on top. I slept inside it last year in Wyo and it worked great. Bought a 5.5x10 trailer for the utv :)

just bought an are today for new ford f150. had one on previous two ford trucks as well , spanning 15 years. never used it for camping as have 12 enclosed trailer converted to small camper. have never wished it was off for height reasons. believed it has hauled a couple of fridges on their sides. mostly for security as mention and keeping stuff dry. not so good for keeping out dust however comes in around tailgate. new topper is carpeted , will see how that goes!!

264win

WKR
I always have a topper on my trucks.
Use it frequently to sleep in on short hunting trips. A full/twin air mattress fits great in a 6.5' or bigger bed. No worries about rain, wind, rocky ground or setting up camp.
Use it every day to keep tools and gear dry and secure.

LaHunter

WKR
I have a Leer cap/topper on my truck. It keeps gear dry and somewhat secure. It does not completely prevent dust from getting in as it is not air tight. I have been very happy with mine. I don't use it t sleep in, so I can't comment on that use. Downside is that you do give up some hauling ability of your truck, but I have a 14' utility trailer that I use for wood, UTV, or whatever I need to haul.

xziang

WKR
If you aren't sure about a topper keep an eye on craigslist and when one comes up cheap get it. I love having a shell on the truck, the dog can go back there plus lockable place to,keep gear. No need to worry about stuff blowing out too. For heading out west i keep everythjng in bins so i can remove everything easily and throw my sleeping bag back there.

xziang

WKR
Fyi to help with dust get some extra wide gorilla tape and put it between the bed and the tailgate. You can also double up some normal duct tape too, to cover that gap.

NV HUNTER

WKR
I have on on my F 350 . I have a hitch cargo carrier, Yeti 160 goes on that and gas can. All my hunts are usually short 3-5 day hunts. Keeps me mobile, camp is where I finish glassing. BUT it is a pain to take it off after hunting season.

Agross

WKR
I have one and love it. Most years I put it on in the fall and take it off in the spring. This year I left it on all year. As far as storing. I run a rope up and over the rafters in my pole barn. Each end of the rope is tied to the end of a 2x4. One on each end of the topper. I have it up high enough that I can store shit under it , and I can back under it to take the topper off and put it back on. I throw a couple layers of carpet in the bed for comfort and if they get too trashed I just yank it out and throw it away. Also, I like being able to lock up a lot of my stuff. For me, it's just convenient for a lot of scenarios. I got mine on Craigslist for less than half price and it was like new.