Altitude sickness

rayporter

WKR
I have had some altitude problems for the last 3 years and decided to try the Diamox.

I don't know for sure but I had a reaction or something. my arms and hands would tingle after taking it and I would feel awful. almost sick, get dizzy and be very cold. after 4 days I quit and the symptoms went away.

darn I wish it had worked.

you all will have just send me pics now.

circles

FNG
I live at 300' elevation and I'm prone to altitude sickness. I get mild headaches, mild shortness of breath, and it saps my motivation. Every other year I hunt elk at 10,000'. The absolute best thing you can do is build your aerobic capacity. Second is acclimatization, hydration, ibuprofen, and eat enough calories. The more you can do the better, (except the ibuprofen.) I haven't tried any of the over-the-counter remedies, weak gatoraid is my preference for hydration.

I occasionally have to go to Colorado for work. This may sound weird but I find that going for a run in the morning really helps with altitude sickness symptoms.

AKDoc

WKR
Classified Approved
If someone is truly concerned about altitude sickness, go talk with your doctor and review your options. There is medication you can take to prevent altitude sickness, as well as medication to take if you get it.

My wife and I went overnite from sea level to nearly 14,000ft, where we stayed for several days in the Andes mountains of Peru...the preventative medication worked just fine for us.

I strongly believe that altitude sickness is a purely individual thing. Some people get, while some do not. With me, no amount of Diamox, water or acclimation time will get me past 13,500 feet. This has always been my ceiling. And it seems that it always will be. It actually seems to be getting worse the older I get.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Scam as well. No evidence to support any of it. Caveat emptor.

7Bartman, are you referring to the Altitude Products (capsules), or the Hydration Supplements (powder to add to water) ? Do you think that plain water would be just as effective as the Hydration Supplements? Or Gatorade or similar products to replace electrolytes? Is it just a placebo effect? Staying hydrated is extremely important, and water is better than nothing, but I was thinking the electrolytes in the water supplements are necessary. I could be the victim of slick advertising.

Last edited:

JP100

WKR
What altitudes are we talking??

Ive lived near sea level most my life, and been to 10k feet a few times with no issues.

I didnt think(from my experience and others I know) that up to 10k feet/3000m there are few issues. past that can be a different story I guess.

From what I know altitude 'sickness' can be completely random, can effect some guys massively, fitness does not matter, even guys who have been at altitude with no issues can be ruined by it at times. But I didnt think it was really a worry for most hunting. Only really some Marco hunts and blue sheep/Tahr in Nepal that would a real issue in my mind??