Hunting near fire

What are your guys’ experiences hunting close to a currently burning area (hoping they get it out by September). Should I look for another area as a first choice area or a different part of the unit all together. I do have a couple spots already e scouted but aren’t near a nice as my plan A

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IdahoElk

WKR
How close? Is some of the fire contained yet? sometimes they close down areas to all traffic adjacent to the fire,just because the fire is out doesn't mean they let you back into the closed areas,usually it's 4 weeks after full containment before they let you back in.I would definitely have a plan B

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
Plan B!!! I’m in the same boat myself. I considered things like where would the game move to if they did, how much land is open to hunt, do I want to breathe heavy smoke for a couple days again? I hunted within ten miles of a small fire before. Two days of smoke sent me to town for a day before returning. Had some good hunting afterwards but I wasn’t right for awhile. Not sure it’s worth it from a health or comfort standpoint.

Idahomnts

Lil-Rokslider
Not to mention glassing abilities, really messes with the efficiency of glassing long ways , and as mentioned the smoke really messes with some people

Riles1050

Lil-Rokslider
I tried to hunt an area around a really recently burning fire. Saw animals but felt like I was gonna die. I won’t do that again. Wouldn’t hesitate 3-4 weeks after the fire though

OP
T
How close? Is some of the fire contained yet? sometimes they close down areas to all traffic adjacent to the fire,just because the fire is out doesn't mean they let you back into the closed areas,usually it's 4 weeks after full containment before they let you back in.I would definitely have a plan B

My area is about 5 miles as the crow flies from the fire but it is headed straight toward my plan A. Fire closure area is only about a mile from our camp. I have never been close to a wildfire before, how far does the smoke travel and affect glassing and smoke smell? I will definitely be bringing my allergy meds with. Just stinks because this is a limited tag hunt so we are restricted to 2 units.

Tobe_B

Lil-Rokslider
Understand that 100% containment doesn’t mean it’s out. That just means the fire fighters have a gotten a line constructed around the fire perimeter and hope to keep it from advancing. Depending on the fire it could still
Be smoldering and burning on the interior.

As far as hunting near a burn I wouldn’t hesitate. If there isn’t any smoke then it’ll be good hunting. A few years ago my dad got a nice bull about a 2 miles from the perimeter of one of Colorado’s largest wildfires just a few months after the fire. If there is smoke I would hesitate. Few weeks ago when the 416 was still burning I went for a hike. The smoke had been lifting by the afternoon and I figured I’d be in the clear. Wind switched and dropped the smoke right down on top of me about three miles in. That was a long hike out trying to breath through that stuff. I won’t ever risk it again.

IdahoElk

WKR
My area is about 5 miles as the crow flies from the fire but it is headed straight toward my plan A. Fire closure area is only about a mile from our camp. I have never been close to a wildfire before, how far does the smoke travel and affect glassing and smoke smell? I will definitely be bringing my allergy meds with. Just stinks because this is a limited tag hunt so we are restricted to 2 units.

I can't believe the area you're interested in isn't already closed? what % of containment is the fire? I'd move to plan b,that's too close!
What state are you hunting?

OP
T
I can't believe the area you're interested in isn't already closed? what % of containment is the fire? I'd move to plan b,that's too close!
What state are you hunting?

1a4e50b64a3b5925fa848aeabbecb94a.png

The black spot is the approximate area where we were going to start

Depending on the wind, smoke travels 100’s of miles.
Even smoke coming from that far can be overpowering as far as smell.
Glassing too, can be difficult with smoke coming that far...let alone a mile.

Just keep tabs on that fire and make a plan last minute but I would not count on hunting that spot.

Depending on the wind, smoke travels 100’s of miles.
Even smoke coming from that far can be overpowering as far as smell.
Glassing too, can be difficult with smoke coming that far...let alone a mile.

Just keep tabs on that fire and make a plan last minute but I would not count on hunting that spot.

I saw an article yesterday that smoke from the California wildfires stopped a mountain bike race due to poor air quality in Steamboat Springs Colorado!

Brock A

Super Moderator
Staff member
A few years ago I had a good draw tag. I went to scout in late July and my "Plan A" rd was closed due to the fire. I immediately went to "Plan B" and saw lots of good deer. Fast forward to opening day of the hunt, the smoke was so bad that I couldn't glass. I hiked out and went to "Plan C". After spending 3 days in the plan C area, and not seeing what I wanted. I opted to head to home and wait for a different wind to pull the smoke out of plan B area. Once It shifted I headed back and glad I did. Here is the buck I killed from a "Plan B" spot.

CX5Ranch

WKR
That map is really blurry could you post the coordinates?

Lol.

I personally think you are risking several days being wasted by being that close. Smoke sets in......its bad.
You have plenty of time to rethink it all.

And that is one dandy buck bud

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

jmez

WKR
I wouldn't even consider being on a mountain 5 miles from an active fire heading my direction.

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
I hunted last year while fires were burning in the area. You have to be patient as the inversion layer changes, but I killed a good buck.

I have hunted danger close to fires where at night they were on adjacent ridges, probably not the smartest, but I am no rocket surgeon.

530Chukar

WKR
That’s pretty close. I wouldn’t be concerned with the danger of it as much as I would the smoke ruining glassing. The inversions will set in overnight and all the smoke will settle into the bottoms of he drainages. The ridge tops will be clear for a short period of time until the daytime heating begins and the upslope winds start. Once that happens it will be socked in pretty good. If it is a forest service fire, I wouldn’t plan on that thing being out until it snows.

There are better spots. I would get west and or northwest of the fire so the prevailing winds would carry the smoke away. I'd also recommend using OnX or the Colorado hunt atlas to give you a starting spot with greater game concentration instead of the area Rinella discussed the toponymy of in a recent podcast. There is likely to be many more A-holes hunting there after it was publicized.