Thinking of offering packing services

Bulldawg

WKR
It would potentially be madness for a minute, but I think once people start getting the permits, licensing, insurance and equipment people would start to drop out. Then people would realize how many clients they have to book for it to be profitable and more would drop out when they couldn’t book enough. Then people who stuck it out would realize how much they didn’t like guiding after doing it for a minute because of the different types of people they have to work with would start dropping, and then even more would quit when they realized they weren’t any good at guiding. More would come and go but eventually we would be left with the best guides at the lowest prices and it would be a win for everybody. Free market at work. But unfortunately that’s not the case and that is why there are bad Outfitters out there and why some hunts cost so much.

This topic just gets me riled up because I have dove so deep into this that I understand how it all works and the types of stuff that goes on out there.

In this particular set of circumstances, the feds step in...so something doesn’t get ruined.
Otherwise, there would be 1000 dudes just like you, and it would be an absolute shitshow(no offense intended and just my opinion).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MIC

FNG
In Northern New Mexico there were many camps that would offer this service. They would have signs off the road and they made good money packing in and out of wilderness areas.

I haven't heard of this still happening but a quick google search lead me to this from the NMGF:
NMDGF regulates registered outfitters, guides and outfitted hunts. An outfitter is any person who advertises or holds themselves out to the public for hire or is employed or accepts compensation for providing, within the unit where a hunt occurs, facilities, equipment or services for hunting activities.

and:
All outfitters shall execute a written contract with each hunter-client, signed and dated by all parties before the hunt begins. Contracts shall designate the terms, guide to hunter-client ratio, hunt dates, compensation charged and services to be provided.

The demand is there but the contract requirement before the hunt starts definitely limits your potential customers.

squirrel

WKR
i was right there too bulldawg. They even offered me an area (high alpine) as another user had gone bankrupt. It woukld have been fine for summer pack trips and bow season but the real money is later.

Remember that you arre not in the packing business you are in the people business.

An example: four days ago a client brought my llamas home dropped them and the stock rack off, floored his truck showering my house with stones, I just painted it in June. He still couldnt get up the tiny incline so pulled into my yard, burned two inch ruts in her highness' grass floored it up over the 18" rise and blew straight through my 3 rail vinyl horse fence, (that expensive for looking at only style of fence)

Snapped off posts and broken rails laying there he yelled to send him a bill to his contact address... after running inside to get a gun to kill him with I went out and he was gone and a huge bag of garbage was left in my yard for me to find a home for...

That's what being in the people business is REALLY like. All skittles and unicorns!