Thinking of offering packing services

diesel7

Banned
So!! I’m thinking starting next year, offering my services to pack in hunters to the New Mexico wilderness via horseback. Basically packing in their gear and whatever supplies they need, and packing out elk or deer! They would need to walk in, or do whatever they normally do. But I would like to gauge an interest, and see if it would be worth it for me! Let me know! Thanks

• Banned
OP
D

diesel7

Banned
But I’m not guiding, just packing in equipment. I know a few people that do it without a license. It’s different if I’m packing in hunters, or guiding, but I’m just packing in gear. I’ll look into that, but I’m pretty sure I don’t.

CX5Ranch

WKR
That would be a much needed service I'd say. I would be super careful about breaking any laws. I could see where the "outfitter" is anyone who aids with moving gear, hunters, game, etc....

Other than that if you were legal and know the country, people will use you. Good luck.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

What's the going rate for having someone pack meat out for you? I honestly have no clue.

I would have a hard time sitting around all week, waiting for a call that may or may not even come, for the chance to make, what- $500?

• Banned
OP
D

diesel7

Banned
What's the going rate for having someone pack meat out for you? I honestly have no clue.

I would have a hard time sitting around all week, waiting for a call that may or may not even come, for the chance to make, what- $500?

I have a lot of details to work out! I have to see what the rates would be!

Gr8bawana

WKR
But I’m not guiding, just packing in equipment. I know a few people that do it without a license. It’s different if I’m packing in hunters, or guiding, but I’m just packing in gear. I’ll look into that, but I’m pretty sure I don’t.

Somehow I think if you're providing a service for $$ on Nat. Forest or wilderness areas you will need a license. It's up to you if you want to take that chance.

Bulldawg

WKR
It doesn't matter if you're guiding hunters or not. If you are accepting compensation from somebody by offering any kind of service on national forest service/BLM or other public land then you need to have a permit issued by the respective agency. So if you plan on packing gear for folks I would go to the forest service and talk to them about if there are any permits available, I would imagine there aren't because any permits that are worth a darn are all taken. You also need a $1mil insurance policy, be licensed and bonded through the state, and likely registered with the outfitters association around. Don't mean to bust a bubble but that is the law.

Any of your buddies that you know that do it without a permit are breaking the law.

Check on it. Don't take mine or anyone else word for it. Check into it. And look at the insurance rates. They will be cheaper then you think. I'm not sure the USFS or BLM is interested in limiting the permits you'd need so, I doubt they will be unavailable unless they run the forest different there then they do here. Good luck.

OP
D

diesel7

Banned
It doesn't matter if you're guiding hunters or not. If you are accepting compensation from somebody by offering any kind of service on national forest service/BLM or other public land then you need to have a permit issued by the respective agency. So if you plan on packing gear for folks I would go to the forest service and talk to them about if there are any permits available, I would imagine there aren't because any permits that are worth a darn are all taken. You also need a $1mil insurance policy, be licensed and bonded through the state, and likely registered with the outfitters association around. Don't mean to bust a bubble but that is the law.

Any of your buddies that you know that do it without a permit are breaking the law.
Your not bursting any bubble. I’ll get it figured out. I just want to see if there is a market for it here! If that’s the law, then that’s what I’ll have to do!

OP
D

diesel7

Banned
Check on it. Don't take mine or anyone else word for it. Check into it. And look at the insurance rates. They will be cheaper then you think. I'm not sure the USFS or BLM is interested in limiting the permits you'd need so, I doubt they will be unavailable unless they run the forest different there then they do here. Good luck.

I’ve got a friend here that’s a licensed outfitter. I’ll get with him and see what I need to do.

mtnwrunner

Super Moderator
Staff member
If you are on federal land and charging money for your services, you will need an outfitters license or at the very least, a permit to be doing it. You can't even have an organized run for non profit without a permit. You can find out what you need by contacting your local district ranger and/or local land officials. I know guys that do it under the radar but they are taking a HUGE risk.

Randy

rgrx1276

Lil-Rokslider
So!! I’m thinking starting next year, offering my services to pack in hunters to the New Mexico wilderness via horseback. Basically packing in their gear and whatever supplies they need, and packing out elk or deer! They would need to walk in, or do whatever they normally do. But I would like to gauge an interest, and see if it would be worth it for me! Let me know! Thanks

I would be interested. Managed a tag in 51 for 1st rifle this year.

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
It would be a great service. I’d love to have a mule or two available rather than carry an elk out on my back.

cnelk

WKR
Back in '91, I did just what you are referring to.

I had a few horses so I thought id go and help out hunters pack out their elk.
Hauled up a couple horses, set up my wall tent in a popular area for opening weekend of rifle season.

Word got around and by Saturday noon opening day I was packing out 2-3 elk for $100 each.
Packed out another one that evening and another Sunday morning.

About noon Sunday, a FS truck pulls up and we had a discussion about my 'operation'
I got a written warning for operating without a permit, and if I continued, I would be standing in front of a Federal Magistrate in Grand Junction

Im sure nothing has changed. You will probably need to jump thru a lot of hoops by now.

Good Luck

I inquired about providing pack services in Idaho. It requires a guides license and operating under an established guide or becoming a new outfitter (which requires proving that there was a demand and putting out a prospectus to other interested parties). The forest service is an idiotic organization with their red tape.

None of the outfitters in the area provide pack services--they're all exclusively chasing fully outfitted hunts.