Question for the back country camp guys

Being a flatlander that's never left the midwest, I've never back country hunted before, but I hang out here, listen to enough podcasts, and watch enough to have a pretty good idea how it works in terms of gear, packs, camp, etc.. Listened to a MeatEater podcast the other day and he was mentioning how crowded Colorado is, and a buddy and I were talking and we both have this question...

You get in the back country and set up camp, when you leave for the day to go hunting and are going to be gone all day, do you ever worry about someone happening upon your camp and stealing stuff? Obviously you would have your gun/bow, optics, hunting essentials with you, but your tent, sleeping bag, stove, etc is all still there.

I’d like to think there is a “code” in the backcountry, I see just a few people where I go, and I have never really worried about it. the amount of effort it takes to get in and out seems like it may be a deterrent, adding the weight of someone else’s camp to my back wouldn’t be any fun at all. the people in there appreciate the effort and the solitude of the backkcountry, they don’t want to ruin it for anyone.

It would be really shitty to lose some gear though, especially if it was lifeline gear(food, stove,first aid, etc..)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OG DramaLlama

Epic Rokslider
It is always a risk. If you are packing in and the day hiking from that you risk anything happening to gear. Bad people, curious critters, crazy weather. I usually have my back up stuff at truck.

If solo, I keep my camp on my back.

Definitely a code..
I have friends that leave their 2 person tents set up for a days if they have to come back and they pack back in and not a person has touched their stuff.
Can never be too careful but I think hunters have a code.. unless you’re in rock springs Wyoming then crackheads are just all over the place

I would agree with that...but I'd also like to think there is a "code" in daily life and we all know how well that works..

Agreed. That’s like saying common sense is still common.

I did have a buddy decide to leave 4K worth of Swarovski and clothes up high for 3 days, in order to get meat out before the weather ruined it. He took it well off trail and hid the hell out of it, we barely found it when we went back in.

cnelk

WKR
I should send a 'thank you' note to MeatEater

Think about it. You packed way back in. If someone else is back there, they probably did too.
Not sure if many want to pack out your stuff along with their stuff. :)

mproberts

WKR
I would agree with that...but I'd also like to think there is a "code" in daily life and we all know how well that works..

The type of guys that pack in that far into the wilderness aren't the type of guys you see in your everyday life.

Titan_Bow

WKR
Another thing to note is that "way back in the backcountry" means different things to different people. Where and how I hunt, I am going anywhere from 2 to 6 miles into a designated wilderness, and I am miles from any established trail. Again, as others as said, if I do encounter someone, they are of the same mindset as me. I dont worry they are going to mess with my stuff. That being said, every year I go in up there, and before I break off the trail to head up, I pass by peoples camps right off the main hiking trail before even the 1 mile mark. I would think they run a much higher risk of having their stuff messed with, than I do :)

johnhenry

Lil-Rokslider
I've been camping in the backcountry of the mountains and the deserts of Utah Colorado Wyoming and Idaho for over 4 decades and have never lost a thing. Its a crazy insane world out there but the backcountry still feels safe to me.

Last edited:

H2PVon

Lil-Rokslider
I only carry crappy heavy stuff. If it's there, I didn't even want to pack it in and I'm betting no one wants to add my camp on top of theirs. If someone takes it that gives me the reason to tell my wife I need new stuff.

Vandal 44

WKR
Someone stealing my stuff in the back country has never crossed my mind, what I do worry about is someone breaking into my truck and stealing that while it left at the trail head for 5 or 6 days.

A few years ago I was on a late season elk hunt with some buddies camping in a trailer and the guys camping up the road had their generator stolen. That's the stuff that worries me

Ultimately the answer comes down to one thing: Location-location-location. In some places (like So. Calif. for example) you are lucky if they don't smash the windows of your vehicle parked at the trailhead. In other places (like Utah) I don't give it a thought. As a destination hunter i choose to seek out remote locations and camp off the beaten trail using tents or hammock/tarp set-ups that blend into the country. No bright red and yellow shelters for me...just muted color like Kifaru's foliage. My camps are placed in areas that you can walk right past em without noticing...using dips in the terrain and vegetation to my advantage. If i worried about getting ripped off while hunting, it would adversely impact my performance and focus. I also avoid camping on water...I look for an elevated location near water (within a 5-10 minute hike) but not right on a river or lake most times...especially if i'm not around. For camping/fishing trips where i'm nearby...well that's different.

Listen to that inner voice but always have a plan B in case Murphy's Law prevails. Keep a clean camp to avoid issues with critters, try to find a place well away from people and be prepared to make a move if necessary. I went a week in Utah carrying a hammock on my back and sleeping in a different spot every night. It snowed all but 2 hours the entire week.

giphy.gif

Last edited:
Meat Eater is a TV show. I doubt he’s carrying camera gear and batteries and his crew that far into the Backcountry.

Meat Eater is a TV show. I doubt he’s carrying camera gear and batteries and his crew that far into the Backcountry.

Well you're wrong, there are production companies that specialize in such projects. My former neighbor owns one of em. You should see the size of his friggin' drone! Here's one of his trailers.

[video=youtube;CESv6p8wMWk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CESv6p8wMWk[/video]

Last edited:

mtnkid85

WKR
Unfortunately Ive had experience with having a entire bivy camp stolen. It happened to some good friends on a climbing trip into a somewhat popular area ~10mi in. Bivied at a lake with a light camp, broke and packed away camp into there back packs. Stashed the packs and left the lake in the early morning. They climbed all day and came back down that afternoon to every thing gone.
There were other groups at the lake that had already left when they returned. Made the hike back out in record time, but never caught up to anyone else.

So... Its always on my mind now too unfortunately.

Neverenoughhntn

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve never worried about it. I spend several weeks a year back packed in and have never had an issue.... if I had to guess, I would say that you increase your odds of something happening if you camp right on top of someone who is already there. (Primarily if they have obviously tried to distance themselves from the crowds.... at least set your camp out of sight and ear shot when able.) .... while I would never mess with somebody or their stuff, nothing frustrates me more than someone camping right next to me when there are a million other prime camp locations. Most of us go up there to get away from people, not to have neighbors.

CX5Ranch

WKR
I got rained on 12 miles in once. We were cold. Topped the ridge about 6 miles from the truck and ran into a camp. 5 guys in it.

They saw our need and immediately cooked us a hot supper and sawed wood with a hand saw for over an hour to warm us up. Spent the night in a dandy canvas house and had a sip of good whiskey with new friends.

That's the kind of folk I run into out there.

Thanks Brad Wilson.....

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk