2020-2024 Colorado Big Game Season Structure Info

cnelk

WKR

Jbehredt

WKR
Maybe non res archery elk tags all become limited...... if it’s really about herd management...... That will be my recommendation. We all know it’s really about $$ first and foremost though.

Bulldawg

WKR
I have been up in the air about my feelings about the archery seasons, the hunting pressure during overlap periods, and how I feel about limiting all licenses. I go back and forth on a lot of it, I reckon that I will have figure all that out and get it on paper and sent in!

I don't like the sounds of how this might go though, because it could very easily end up giving archery hunters the shaft for sure.

FlyGuy

WKR
Going to get real crowded in Idaho....
ae4d8502a0d36f29f66705b1d9b4c934.jpg

Sent from my SM-G610F using Tapatalk

OP
cnelk

cnelk

WKR
It should be noted that license allocation and point creep will not be a part of the BGSS

There’s nothing in there where it mentions treating residents and nonresidents differently. As a resident it would be nice to have a little preference on OTC opportunities, like other states have. Does anyone know if they intentionally didn’t address it or if they simply don’t have the power to discuss it in the BGSS?

Dwnorton1

FNG
Was reading over questioner. That would be awesome to have to wear florescent clothing during whole archery season. Why don't we just at strobe lights and a fog horn to really announce out presence. And hunters are really hard to spot when sitting still. Maybe MOJO can make flag that moves, I'm thinking 3' x 3' should be sufficient, so we won't blend in.
As far as seasons overlapping, archery and muzzleloader, I have not noticed much difference in numbers of hunters in high country where I hunt. I'm struggling to understand the need to limit tags unless management objectives are being exceeded, then something has to be done. Otherwise leave it alone. But from statistics I see, a lot of the units are not hitting target, guess all us extra hunter suck at actually tagging an animal and by limiting numbers then the management goals will be reached by less hunters, since more didn't work. I can see doing something like that in units in decline or exceeding harvest numbers, but painting whole state with same broad brush is not a wise decision. IMO.

I filled mine out and sent it in, would recommend everyone else does as well. Thanks for sharing links with us.

Bulldawg

WKR
I don’t think they want feed back since they are requiring you to print and mail back in, in this day and age it be a whole lot easier to .1 make sure you don’t get a lot of people sending in multiple surveys, and 2. Actually access the data in a timely and organized manner if they did an online survey.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Does anyone know when the season structure will be finalized? I was thinking of using my 7 elk points for a muzzy hunt next year. If tags go more limited it may be worth waiting.

SWOHTR

WKR
I don’t think they want feed back since they are requiring you to print and mail back in, in this day and age it be a whole lot easier to .1 make sure you don’t get a lot of people sending in multiple surveys, and 2. Actually access the data in a timely and organized manner if they did an online survey.

I understand your position. The reason places do mail-ins is because not everyone has access, or uses, the internet. By doing a solely web-based approach, you inherently limit your audience to only those online.

Bulldawg

WKR
I don’t agree, I feel like more people have access to the internet than people that have access to a printer. If that was the case and they wanted to be more inclusive they wouldn’t have changed the application to exclusive online. 90% of Americans use the internet today.

I understand your position. The reason places do mail-ins is because not everyone has access, or uses, the internet. By doing a solely web-based approach, you inherently limit your audience to only those online.

d3ntalbliss

Lil-Rokslider
Does anyone know when the season structure will be finalized? I was thinking of using my 7 elk points for a muzzy hunt next year. If tags go more limited it may be worth waiting.

September 2019 according to the timeline linked.

mproberts

WKR
Not sure how you located the survey for archery, but is there a link for the other topic areas? ("Timing and length of seasons" and "Youth Outreach & Participation")

satchamo

WKR
As a non resident who relies on OTC tags to allot me an affordable, western adventure each September, this scares the shit out of me...

I definitely want what's best for the future of the game but selfishly, I would rather see them cut back in the rifle arena more so than OTC archery.

I would rather see them cut back in the rifle arena more so than OTC archery.

this is just purely speculation but I would guess they're two seperate beasts and right now the problem child is archery and it expanding to what it is. Right now archery hunting your own food is very vogue and CO just happens to have unlimited opportunity for it during the rut.

Bulldawg

WKR
What’s Annoying is that they have 4 rifle seasons but they want to cut back on archery tags. If we are to need to cut back for the benefit of the wildlife let’s all cut back equally.