Flying with a bow

This year will be my first time flying with a bow. It will be in an SKB hard case. I’ve read a forum on here about flying with firearms and wondering if anyone has some experienced recommendations for me with the bow. Locks, checking in, TSA and such. Thanks so much!

Trial153

WKR
I have at times used my skb and it worked great. Lately I been using my sitka nomad

Anyway on the skb. Pack clothing all around it and it's good to go. Leave the stupid locks on the latches unlocked or some TSA gorrila might break them to look at it. I took two eye hooks and drilled them into both side of the case. I then lock it with a TSA lock ...so they can cut that.

FlyGuy

WKR
I've done it a couple times now. I use the TSA locks for my own comfort, but they are not required. A bow is not a firearm, so it just counts as regular luggage as far as the airline is concerned. (Unless it has changed since last september).

I too used an SKB case and filled in any extra space around the bow with food bags and clothes to cut weight on other checked items.

Sent from my SM-G610F using Tapatalk

N2TRKYS

WKR
Throw a pistol in the case so it'll be treated like you're flying with a firearm instead of a bow. That's what I'm gonna do, anyway.

pbcarch

WKR
Has anyone put a handgun in their bow case and traveled successfully like That?
Paul

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

FlyGuy

WKR
Then your Bow case has to have locks and follows all the normal firearm requirements. Should not be a problem.

Sent from my SM-G610F using Tapatalk

pbcarch

WKR
Ok next question refers to size of case. I believe I have it figured out for AA...
so in order to not get hit with $200 baggage fees , each way, your archery case needs to be under 62" in L+W+H
Anyone find a case that fits that ? And does it require you to remove your sights, stabilizer and have it all fit in case with arrows and quiver

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

GPATTI

WKR
Never had any issues with my SKB meeting dimensional requirements.

I always unscrew my site from the riser and bring in my carry-on wrapped in a piece of foam or something. Personally, I would not ship it on there as it could get screwed up. When you get to your destination, screw it on, and take a few shots to make sure you are still good. (which you would do regardless)

pbcarch

WKR
Never had any issues with my SKB meeting dimensional requirements.

I always unscrew my site from the riser and bring in my carry-on wrapped in a piece of foam or something. Personally, I would not ship it on there as it could get screwed up. When you get to your destination, screw it on, and take a few shots to make sure you are still good. (which you would do regardless)
Which skb do you use ?

TBarron

WKR
I’ve flown my bow with my SKB with a pistol in it no problems. I just used the locks on the latches and didn’t have any issues. Mine is the hunter series XL

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pbcarch

WKR
Didn't you get your case measured by airline?
AA is 62" max before they charge you $200 for oversized. That's L+W+H

Trial153

WKR
Didn't you get your case measured by airline?
AA is 62" max before they charge you $200 for oversized. That's L+W+H

I havent had a single case ever measured by an airline. Weighted ...every time. Measured never.
My sitka nomad is over sized and its probably been on a dozen flights with me. I haven't been dinged yet. That said the next one they will be standing there with a tape measure......

GPATTI

WKR
Geesh..... no idea which SKB I have. I don’t even think it has a model number on it. Sorry!

gansettx

FNG
I’ve flown with 2 bows in a double skb case. I wrote clearly on the outside “Archery Equipment” with a label with my contact info. As for locks, I used zipties in all the locking locations. My case has not been tampered with. My hunting partner used a inexpensive case and secured the latches with duct tape, his tape was cut open and his case was searched...fwiw.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

satchamo

WKR
Flew with 2 into fairbanks a few weeks ago in an SKB. I locked 1 of the holes and zip tied every other one. TSA never touched it on either trip. My theory is make it so annoying to open that they don't even want to bother.

OP
darcytribe
Thanks for sharing your experiences. I suppose I will label outside as archery equipment and zip tie the 4 locking points, and have replacements on the inside of the case.