Yeti, RTIC, ORCA, what????

KJH

WKR
I have two K2 coolers, one ORCA, and a soft sided yeti. From my experience, they are all real good coolers. I had a hard sided yeti that was stolen out of my boat, but I think the K2s are a lot better hard sided cooler than the yeti. The K2 just seem to keep ice longer then the yeti hard sided ever did. If you're going to be opening it repeatedly to grab a beer every 20 minutes then there is no reason to use one of the "high end coolers".

I'm sure they will all work fine. Pick the one you like the best and meets your budget.

OP
Whitetaildown215

Whitetaildown215

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the replies. I'm not getting it for elk hunting or tailgating really. We are currently on a camping trip and have 3 coolers that we have opened maybe 6 times each in 3 days and have to buy ice every night and my wife is tired of it so she wants a good cooler for these types of things

CorbLand

WKR
Its only been used on one over night trip so I cant say for sure how it will do but I purchased a 65 quart Lost Creek from Sportmans Warehouse. So far I am impressed. Roto Molded, smaller than Yeti, Lighter and has wheels. I will see how it does in September and October.

Whisky

WKR
I'm not going to nit pick on which cooler holds ice 2.3 hours longer then the next. Most all higher end coolers are sufficient for what you're looking for.

For me it comes down to bang for buck, and when RTIC has 20% off sales and free shipping (which they do often), you really can't beat that IMO. So that's my vote.

I will also add, wheels would be nice on these heavy ass coolers. RTIC unfortunately doesn't make a model with wheels yet. Not sure about other brands.

blackdawg

WKR
Don’t know what size your looking at but don’t overlook lifetime. 97$ at the Walmart.

I second this, picked one up a couple of weeks ago for less than a Benjamin, extremely surprised and pleased with how long it holds ice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ID_Matt

WKR
I second this, picked one up a couple of weeks ago for less than a Benjamin, extremely surprised and pleased with how long it holds ice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I will second this as well. I have one and it seems like we always take it over my friends Yeti, RTIC, Cabela's, etc. The lifetime just flat out works and is a really good size.

Don't forget about Orion! They are packed with features and you can get great accessories for them...

Is there still room for meat with all those features packed in?:p

To the question go with price/features. The roto molded coolers will perform similar. No need to spend a bunch more on the name. I have been using a Coleman Extreme for 4 years. It holds ice all week during hunting season.

SW hunter

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve got good stuff to say about Yeti and Canyon. The technology is out there and theyre all making a very similar product. Good advice I got was pick a size then look for the features you want amongst the different brands and then prices from there. Drain plug location and number, shape, handle locations, latch locations, dimensions. Some of that matters if youre putting them in a certain location in the truck.

I think many of them are made in China but the company advertises well about where they’re based out of giving people the impression they’re made in that state.

Jsunkler

Lil-Rokslider
If you plan to use it for Camping, I would go with the Yeti or Rtic. Both have served me well in the past, I really like the Yeti 75 for camping as its a bit deeper than the 65 and seems to fit my camping needs perfectly. I can layer my meals in it to reduce the amount of time its open and can have food items in it for upto a week no problem. I use frozen half gallon milk jugs in the corners to keep everything cold.

As for hunting and bringing home large quantities of meat: Coleman Xtreme Marine Coolers, they are relatively cheap ($60ish for 120qt). I brought home my elk in two of them last season from CO to MD (28 hour ride) with 2 blocks of dry ice in each cooler. Everything was rock solid frozen when I got home. If you get ur meat processed or at least frozen/chilled before you head home, the high end coolers aren't necessary.

Mtnboy

WKR
Cordova is another option. Made in Idaho.

I don't own one, but they look nice and have some features that the others don't according to the guy I talked to in their booth at a show.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Trial153

WKR
Show me another cooler company that is even remotely close support they(yeti) have provided to conservation organizations and maybe I will start looking at another brand. But till then I will still support them, great products and company.

Show me another cooler company that is even remotely close support they(yeti) have provided to conservation organizations and maybe I will start looking at another brand. But till then I will still support them, great products and company.

The April dustup with NRA foundation still has me negative on Yeti. They stopped the program working with NRA but continue to offer discount programs with two other conservation organizations that I sit on committees...which contradicts the statement they released about "discontinuing outdated discount programs"...
They tried to save face in the following week but the damage is done as far as I am concerned.

I wont purchase another yeti product...there are way too many great options out there from companies that support conservation organizations AND support the second amendment. The Friends of the NRA doesn't impact conservation land or wildlife directly...but Friends puts money back into shooting ranges, 4H, boy scouts, local shooting programs for kids, local trap programs etc. We need support for Friends to keep hunter recruitment up...which in turn brings in more P&R money...which in turn brings more dollars to states for conservation of land.

Trial153

WKR
The April dustup with NRA foundation still has me negative on Yeti. They stopped the program working with NRA but continue to offer discount programs with two other conservation organizations that I sit on committees...which contradicts the statement they released about "discontinuing outdated discount programs"...
They tried to save face in the following week but the damage is done as far as I am concerned.

I wont purchase another yeti product...there are way too many great options out there from companies that support conservation organizations AND support the second amendment. The Friends of the NRA doesn't impact conservation land or wildlife directly...but Friends puts money back into shooting ranges, 4H, boy scouts, local shooting programs for kids, local trap programs etc. We need support for Friends to keep hunter recruitment up...which in turn brings in more P&R money...which in turn brings more dollars to states for conservation of land.

YOUR take on it, and your welcome to it. Personally I don’t see that way. They have been a great company for supporting conservation and they continues to be. As long as they keep that up and provide great products I will continue to support them.

YOUR take on it, and your welcome to it. Personally I don’t see that way. They have been a great company for supporting conservation and they continues to be. As long as they keep that up and provide great products I will continue to support them.

Yep. Totally agree with you...to each their own.
That is the beauty of all of us being unique individuals...we gather and process information differently and come up with opposite conclusions.

I do wonder how their view and stance has affected their sales?
Anyone know? I know they lost my sale to an RTIC this summer...

K

Kootenay Hunter

Never heard of RTIC before this thread. Wow, they shamelessly ripped off Yeti's designs, right down the text font on the sides! Good deal though. China has a habit of finding a backdoor for products like these, generating off-brands with a little extra machining on an old mold...

Yeti is a marketing machine, you either buy into it or not.

I agree, any roto molded cooler with a gasket is going to do well, especially if you pre-cool it before stocking it and restricted opening it. I usually bring a cheaper cooler with cubed ice for drinks as it gets opened way more often.

If you're worried about conservation, you could buy a RTIC instead of a Yeti, save $200 and donate that directly to a cause of your choice. Much more bang per buck per cooler!

KSP277

WKR
They’re still all just plastic and Styrofoam. Way over priced. Profit margin has to be astronomical. If you end up with the Yeti make sure you get a big sticker for your truck so the other Yeti owners know your part of the cool kids too.