Where to spend $$ and where to save $$?

So with a pretty tight budget, I want to make sure I don’t miss anything necessary for a backpack trip while keeping cost a bit low. I have a few decisions to make on gear and could use some help deciding whether or not I should go with this list or spend more money on one item and less on another. Here is everything I have left to buy and what I plan on spending:

Base layer shirt-FL Wick $80
Merino Boxers-Woolly Co $30
Puffy- Slumberjack $100
Rain Jacket-Slumberjack $150
Gaiters- OR $40
Stove-Camp Chef $70
Tarp-DD 3x3 $70
Sleeping bag-Slumberjack $60
Trekking poles-Kelty $40
Battery Pack-Anker $100

I will be hunting Colorado archery season, most likely Sep 10-20, if that makes a difference in opinion for y’all. I appreciate any feedback you may have in regards to quality of this gear or experiences you have.

Lowke01

Lil-Rokslider
I think you can save some money and do just as well with the puffy, rain jacket and boxers. If you aren't already, look at camofire.com every morning to see their current deals. You're running out of time though. Not sure about that stove. But I know you can get decent burners and light weight pots for less. I found a Primus kit that was around $50. The sleeping bag is where I would spend any savings I find. I can't say I'm familiar with that slumberjack bag but I never hear guys talking about using there stuff on backpack hunts. You can probably save 1-2 lbs in that area alone, but the bag will be more expensive.

OP
Gerard Marcaurele
I think you can save some money and do just as well with the puffy, rain jacket and boxers. If you aren't already, look at camofire.com every morning to see their current deals. You're running out of time though. Not sure about that stove. But I know you can get decent burners and light weight pots for less. I found a Primus kit that was around $50. The sleeping bag is where I would spend any savings I find. I can't say I'm familiar with that slumberjack bag but I never hear guys talking about using there stuff on backpack hunts. You can probably save 1-2 lbs in that area alone, but the bag will be more expensive.

Should have said I’m going in 2019. I’ve got time

CX5Ranch

WKR
I really don't want to be rude but I could slash many dollars off that list if I was on a budget.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

OP
Gerard Marcaurele
I really don't want to be rude but I could slash many dollars off that list if I was on a budget.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Not rude at all, hit me with what you’d do. I have literally NEVER done this type of hunting, so if you have something you’d recommend I’m all ears

I will add that I plan on doing this annually, so a cut in budget won’t be worth it if I can’t get a couple years out of my stuff. Also, the one thing I will be sure to pay to have is a camo base layer, simply because I’ll be wearing that the most between Co and hunting back home where camo is a bit more important.

FURMAN

WKR
Olicamp makes some great stoves/pots for around the same money.

I would go look at the options for some sleeping bags on Sierra Trading post. You will not find one for the price you have listed but you could not give me the bag you have listed. There are a couple great for the money bags right now on STP .

sdfuller

Lil-Rokslider
Why is a camp chef necessary on a backpacking trip? Those things are huge & heavy. Do they make the small backpacking stoves now? If that's what your talking about you can get a knockoff on amazon for under $20

You can get merino boxers on sale for around $10

I doubt you'll need a puffy that early on in the season but that's up to you.

First lite gear is nice but you can get cheaper merino, or buy used.

Put your phone on airplane mode or turn it off and it will last a week without charging. Saves you $100 on the battery pack

OP
Gerard Marcaurele
Why is a camp chef necessary on a backpacking trip? Those things are huge & heavy. Do they make the small backpacking stoves now? If that's what your talking about you can get a knockoff on amazon for under $20

You can get merino boxers on sale for around $10

I doubt you'll need a puffy that early on in the season but that's up to you.

First lite gear is nice but you can get cheaper merino, or buy used.

Put your phone on airplane mode or turn it off and it will last a week without charging. Saves you $100 on the battery pack

Yea the camp chef makes a backpacking stove that mimics the Jetboil

ljalberta

WKR
If you have time and are on a budget I would definitely wait and pick things up as they are on sale!

Here's my thoughts though:

Base layer: Costco 100% merino long sleeve $20.
Boxers: Exo Officio on sale $20ish?
Puffy: Costco down Jacket - $35
- Bring a puffy! Don't be the guy who freezes at night or during an early winter storm because they weren't prepared. My wife and I got 2 feet on snow dumped on us this year on July 2nd, hiking over a mountain pass. It can snow anytime, anywhere in the mountains.
Gaiters: Looks good! Keep an eye out for sales on the OR stuff. It's quite common.
Stove: Plenty of cheap options out there on Amazon or even some major retailers like REI. You should be able to get a set under $70.
Tarp: never heard of the one you have listed. Is it your full shelter?
Sleeping bag: Here's the area I wouldn't skimp on! Get a good bag and pad that will keep you warm! I'd guess at least an R value of 4 for a pad for that season! Although I've never hunted Colorado myself.
Trekking Poles: Costco Cascade Mountain. These are the best value poles in my books! 35$ish
Anker battery pack: These are only $30-$55 on Amazon depending on the model.
Rain gear: Marmot Precip on sale. Can be regularly had for between 30-50% off.

These are my thoughts based only on my experience hunting Alberta during this time.

muddydogs

WKR
I see no need for wool boxers, this item is just not needed. Think about it, what underwear do you were everyday and do you have a problem with them? Spent 20 years working in the woods and I have no idea why anyone would spend $30 on a set of underwear when a Walmart 4 pack works just fine for $10.

Next if your truly on a budget I would think about spending $80 on a FL shirt. Whats it going to do over any other regular tee shirt? I don't care if they claim wicking or not if your carrying a pack your back is going to get sweaty as there's no place for the heat and sweat to wick to.

I would take the money your going to spend on fancy base layer clothes and use it for better needed gear. Unfortunately a $60 sleeping bag is the low end of the spectrum and will probably leave you cold and disappointed.

Not sure how good a Slumberjack rain jacket is but Cabela's has a set of Frogg Toggs rain gear for $60 that come in at 24 oz for the set and the stuff is tough as nails. Cheaper sets can be found in other non camo colors.

Chances are your going to be sweating your butt off in September during the day and fairly cool at night. Probably be hunting mid day is short shirt sleeves.

OP
Gerard Marcaurele
If you have time and are on a budget I would definitely wait and pick things up as they are on sale!

- Bring a puffy! Don't be the guy who freezes at night or during an early winter storm because they weren't prepared. My wife and I got 2 feet on snow dumped on us this year on July 2nd, hiking over a mountain pass. It can snow anytime, anywhere in the mountains.
Gaiters: Looks good! Keep an eye out for sales on the OR stuff. It's quite common.
Stove: Plenty of cheap options out there on Amazon or even some major retailers like REI. You should be able to get a set under $70.
Tarp: never heard of the one you have listed. Is it your full shelter?
Sleeping bag: Here's the area I wouldn't skimp on! Get a good bag and pad that will keep you warm! I'd guess at least an R value of 4 for a pad for that season! Although I've never hunted Colorado myself.
Trekking Poles: Costco Cascade Mountain. These are the best value poles in my books! 35$ish
Anker battery pack: These are only $30-$55 on Amazon depending on the model.
Rain gear: Marmot Precip on sale. Can be regularly had for between 30-50% off.

These are my thoughts based only on my experience hunting Alberta during this time.

The DD tarp is a full shelter. A buddy of mine has been using it in Co and likes it, and it is quite a bit cheaper than my other choice, which is the mountainsmith LT

OP
Gerard Marcaurele
I see no need for wool boxers, this item is just not needed. Think about it, what underwear do you were everyday and do you have a problem with them? Spent 20 years working in the woods and I have no idea why anyone would spend $30 on a set of underwear when a Walmart 4 pack works just fine for $10.

Next if your truly on a budget I would think about spending $80 on a FL shirt. Whats it going to do over any other regular tee shirt? I don't care if they claim wicking or not if your carrying a pack your back is going to get sweaty as there's no place for the heat and sweat to wick to.

I would take the money your going to spend on fancy base layer clothes and use it for better needed gear. Unfortunately a $60 sleeping bag is the low end of the spectrum and will probably leave you cold and disappointed.

Not sure how good a Slumberjack rain jacket is but Cabela's has a set of Frogg Toggs rain gear for $60 that come in at 24 oz for the set and the stuff is tough as nails. Cheaper sets can be found in other non camo colors.

Chances are your going to be sweating your butt off in September during the day and fairly cool at night. Probably be hunting mid day is short shirt sleeves.

The reason I want to go FL and not something else is because I want something in a decent camo for turkey hunting. I don’t have to have it, it’s just one point of the gear I was willing to sacrifice money for something “better”. But again, if people see no need for it I’m not above cutting it out.

Base layer shirt-FL Wick $80
Merino Boxers-Woolly Co $30
Puffy- Slumberjack $100
Rain Jacket-Slumberjack $150
Gaiters- OR $40
Stove-Camp Chef $70
Tarp-DD 3x3 $70
Sleeping bag-Slumberjack $60
Trekking poles-Kelty $40
Battery Pack-Anker $100

Base layer shirt-FL Wick $80...if you want FL, go for it. A good baselayer is nice
Merino Boxers-Sitka boxers on sale or OR boxers are around $20. ExOficio can be found cheaper
Puffy- Shop Eddie Bauer Sales or the Costco puffy for 30
Rain Jacket-Frog Toggs or the Space Rain set from Cabelas $90 but they will go on sale
Gaiters- OR $40
Stove-Pocket Rocket 2 + cup or go with one of the similar ones from Amazon <$30
Tarp-DD 3x3 $70
Sleeping bag-Slumberjack $60...don't skimp too much here. A good bag is worth the $$$
Trekking poles-Cascade Mtn alum poles on Amazon $23
Battery Pack- You can get a good one for under $30.

ChrisS

WKR
Puffy: Hawke & Co Men's Packable Down Puffer Jacket at Amazon Men’s Clothing store: Down Outerwear Coats

I've used this thing for four years now and haven't found another that I like as much. It's only about 9 ounces and still plenty warm enough for early season.

rain jacket: save money here and look for discount codes to knock off more like with this: Men's Rainfoil Packable Jacket | Eddie Bauer

Spend some more on a descent sleeping bag or maybe a quilt. Hammock gear makes an econ quilt 10F for $180 (Burrow Econ 10 - Hammock Gear). Plus I think you can still get a rokslide discount code for another 5% off. Combine it with an insulated pad. Klymit makes a descent enough insulated pad if you don't have one. You can get reconditioned ones on ebay for $60. It's no thermarest, but I've slept on them in winter conditions (~15f).

xziang

WKR
Like others said:
Loose battery pack
Sleeping Bag need to spend more $$ there
Stove: Pocket rocket and toaks or TI cup/pan can be had cheaply. (sign up for mass drop)
Base Layer: Look at used and along with IceBreaker too. Cabelas has some merino stuff too hit SALES.
Puffy, you can/could get away with Columbia etc if wanted and buy that next spring after winter coats go on sale. (neutral color)

Good luck you have plenty of time to hit and watch out for sales and used items.

Bassman

Lil-Rokslider

Hi Ijalberta, do you know if Costco still sells the merino LS and down jacket? I just checked the website and did not see them

K

Kootenay Hunter

I see no need for wool boxers, this item is just not needed. .

To each their own, but I find synthetic and cotton boxers stink like holy hell after a day hiking in the mountains. Once cotton is wet, it's wet and cold. Wool does not stink nearly as much and keeps warmth even if a bit wet, it also sheds dirt pretty well too. I find most of my wool gear stays stink free for days, if not weeks.

Savage99

WKR
Pro-tip for amazon and something I use for my everyday exofficios: use camelcamelcamel.com. It’s an amazon price tracker. Find the item you want on amazon and copy/paste it there. You’ll see the price history for sometimes as far back as several years. And you can set price alerts to email you. I buy a pair when they are below $15.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk