Blade changing tool?

Is there a lightweight tool option for safely changing the blades of a Piralta? Something you wouldn't mind carrying in your pack? Those blades are scary sharp. Been using this.

86123_R-1.jpg

WJS23

WKR
A leathermen skelatool..... I might not have spelled that right.

• Banned
OP
Where's Bruce?
Just ordered the Dime, very cool tool! Looks like the clam is only for removing blades, not replacing em.

At least get a pair of micro channel locks if you want a tool along but who doesn’t carry a multitool? I can’t imagine being without. Ever.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Where's Bruce?
At least get a pair of micro channel locks if you want a tool along but who doesn’t carry a multitool? I can’t imagine being without. Ever.

I used to carry a Skelatool but even it was heavy and I never used it, eventually stopped carrying it as I became more of a weight weenie counting ounces. I blame this website for that.

1444038309240-1hjhwex80fakf-630-80.jpg

Wapiti1

WKR
Have your hunting partner change it out for you. Fumble a bit, cuss it, and look like it has whipped you. They'll change it for you out of sympathy, or angst.

Works every time.

Jeremy

I used to carry a Skelatool but even it was heavy and I never used it, eventually stopped carrying it as I became more of a weight weenie counting ounces. I blame this website for that.

1444038309240-1hjhwex80fakf-630-80.jpg

Yeah I don’t get it. Scissors, limb saw, back up S30V blade. General all purpose get er done tool. I don’t leave home without it. Never will. I’ve said it on here before... if you ask me how much I weigh, the number I’ll give you will include my leatherman.

Owenst7

WKR
The blade changer that havalon sells for that knife works as if it were designed for changing the blades on that knife.

UtahJimmy

WKR
Is there a lightweight tool option for safely changing the blades of a Piralta? Something you wouldn't mind carrying in your pack? Those blades are scary sharp. Been using this.

86123_R-1.jpg
Get a knife that doesn't require a tool to change the blade. Kinda defeats the purpose of a lightweight/minimalist replaceable blade knife if you have to carry an extra tool just to swap blades.

I've been pleased with the gerber vital.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

gdpolk

Lil-Rokslider
Carry a small Leatherman. It has multiple functions and the pliers are good for more than just blade changes.

I use maybe a 3" long pair of hemostats, I did use the plastic piece designed to remove the blades but some of them worked better than others depending on the mold. I tried the Gerber dime for a year and the part of the pliers tip has no grip slots so it's really slick and did not work well at all. Gerber vital is a sorry excuse for a replaceable blade knife since you can only use half the blade or less and the blades are not very sharp, sold mine for those reasons. Hemostat is the best I have found and works every time.

Beendare

WKR
It sort of mitigates any weight advantage to these replaceable blade knives when you have to have another tool to change the blades, eh?

Before I get a bunch of irate responses defending them....I know its possible to do it without tools, I have one...and have buddies that use them.... To each his own....though mine just gathers dust as I don't see any advantage to these over a good processing knife.