Help With Maps

CiK01

WKR
Looking at Wyoming's Motor Vehicle Use Maps (MVUMs). In some of the National Forests areas on those maps, it shows no roads. However, on Google Earth it shows a beaten path even when I zoom out to altitudes of 20K.

Are those types of roads/trails that aren't on MVUMs but are clearly there good to use? Or are they supposed to be off limits and people are using them anyway?

Last edited:

Copen1822

Lil-Rokslider
Need to follow the MVUM in my experience. That's what it's there for, to show what roads are open for what uses regardless of what the road looks like.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Might need more help than he realized initially.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

H2PVon

Lil-Rokslider
I can zoom out on Google Earth to 20,000' and still see this beaten path of a road. According to the MVUM, it isn't supposed to be there. But its there.

Ahhh, ok. I read it as a road at 20k feet. Sorry about that. Unfortunately I can't help though.

LaHunter

WKR
I would follow the map, just make sure it is the most current version available (2018).
Some of those beaten trails / roads could be from ranchers running cattle in the area during the summer and they may have access to roads possibly that are closed to other users.
Also, sometimes people break the law and ride machines on closed roads, I've seen this more than once.
From my experience in the NF lands that I hunt in WY, roads open to ATV / UTV / vehicles are usually marked with a sign.

Gorp2007

WKR
I can't speak specifically for Wyoming, but next door in South Dakota there are lots of roads out in the Black Hills that are closed to motor vehicle use. They were put in for logging and are either no longer used or are limited use only for the timber companies. Similar deal out in the National Grassland areas, there are old two-tracks everywhere that you can drive down, but they're not actually open to motor vehicle use and you could face a citation if a ranger happened by.

Jskaanland

Administrator
Staff member
I can't speak specifically for Wyoming, but next door in South Dakota there are lots of roads out in the Black Hills that are closed to motor vehicle use. They were put in for logging and are either no longer used or are limited use only for the timber companies. Similar deal out in the National Grassland areas, there are old two-tracks everywhere that you can drive down, but they're not actually open to motor vehicle use and you could face a citation if a ranger happened by.

Same deal in Washington and area I pick huckleberries in, has quite a few FS roads that have small signs saying closed for motor vehicle use. Often the signage seems to be ignored but there are a number of roads with gates you wouldnt be able to see from google earth imagery.

JohnnyB

WKR
The mvum is gospel. The only thing that supersedes the mvum is a forest order that closes a road either temporarily or seasonally. Even if the signage says otherwise, the mvum is the one to go bye. Signs get torn down all the time.

Some of the forest roads have partial closings too. There is usually a graph on the forest website that will go into detail on road closures and link the roads to the website map. Give the local ranger a call if you have any questions, they are usually pretty helpful. I have saved some time by learning a trail is open on the mvum but several large trees are down.