Go hunt backpack stress test

H2PVon

Lil-Rokslider
There has never, or ever will be, a time I open my pack a few miles from my truck and decide to start tearing at one of the zippers or a seam like that. If I ever decide to sit on my deck and tear apart packs now I know which one will hold up best. That's all this showed me.

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
I don’t follow along gohunt, but I certainly won’t now. WTF was the purpose of that video. There isn’t a pack made you couldn’t break a zipper or seam on if you wanted to break it.

I wonder if these guys go out and buy a brand new truck and see if they can tear the upholstery.

Just a complete idiotic video.

Trial153

WKR
All the packs got treated the same from a physical standpoint. Regardless how applicable it it to real use, it is still probably more useful then most joe hunter reviews on the internet. Meaning the pack sits in closet 358.5 days a year while he spouts off how great it is and why he loves it.
At the very least someone considering those packs has better understanding of what their money gets them.
Being objective about a test like this is good policy, as it brings the good and bad into focus. However being overly critical to the point of dismissiveness doesn’t accomplish anything, except acting as deterrent to a possible better or improved upon test or discussions in the future.

FURMAN

WKR
I don't see any negative comments about the Nightforce videos of them shooting a sighter, removing the scope, hammering a nail, reinstalling the scope, and shooting the rifle showing the bullet is still in the group. Is anyone going to hammer nails with their scope? No, but it is nice to see the abuse things will take or won't take. It would have been nice to see Kifaru and EXO as well. I personally liked the video even though a couple of the packs are packs I would never consider. Too many reviews are so afraid of being negative in anyway about the product for any number of reasons that all they say is the good stuff. Some people get free gear and therefore will not say anything negative because they fear it will preclude anymore free gear from that company. Others won't do it because companies may not want to be subjected to the same negative feedback and therefore will avoid sending products for review.

Stwrt9

WKR
this was more of an advertisement than an actual real world test. The wanted to make the packs they sell stand out by in which they chose to compare obviously less comparable product to them. In the end the best packs showed their worth, MR and SG make great packs but in order to sell more packs they couldn't really show a comparable pack that they don't sell. it's the wow factor as in man those other packs are cheap and poorly made to fall apart like that. Bring back the cliff test, or at least try and come up with something objective with real world applications between comparable bags!

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
There isn’t a pack out there that can’t be ripped apart like that. I would agree it seemed like an advertisement, it didn’t seem they pulled as hard when needed. Either way it seemed like a useless video.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
There might be some bias in some of the responses this thread has generated.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

OP
J

jpuckett

Lil-Rokslider
I feel like you guys aren’t looking at the biggest value here. It looks like if a large grizzly bear wearing a plaid shirt and a trucker hat attacks me, I’ll wish I was wearing a mystery ranch lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IT showed what you can do with a pack if you intentionally try to abuse it. There will never be a "load" placed on that pack that this video simulated. It did show the weakness in some of the components concerning frames. However, I don't agree that the load lifter tabs breaking off the KUIU or the carbon inserts breaking out of the Stone glacier as a failure. Because there is nothing in use that would simulate what it took to break them, As far as the zippers and seams being ripped apart, I think that could go under the "You could tear up an anvil if you try hard enough." category. It really holds no relevance as far as I am concerned. It'd be no different buying new trucks of different makes and, running them into trees and ditches to see which one lasts the longest. I imagine everyone here would say "WHY?" then.

adamm88

WKR
Non of the packs that catastrophicly failed are touted as recommended packs on this forum other than the kuiu....

They knew what their results were going yo be. There gear shop they say they only carry what they recommend so with mystery ranch coming in number 1 its no real surprise.

It would be interesting to see how other packs hold up like kifaru, exo, horn hunter( only reason because i owned one and it was very solid).

There testing wasnt very scientific, i would like like to see them strap a bag of cement to them and throw them off the back of a truck see how they held up lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No other brand would fair any better. The "man bear" would have applied his subjective effort to a kifaru or EXO to make the Mystery Ranch look better had they picked those as well. It goes back to what has been stated about misuse and abuse. You can tear up anything if you misuse it with that intent. That goes from tanks to ball point pens. This was a joke and alone stands to discredit their efforts more then accomplish a good promotion of products.

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
If gohunt was smart they would ask to have this thread deleted and they would remove the video.

It was a marketing video that was foolish and not well thought through.

I will never recommend or use them for anything.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
If they weren't a sponsor I'm sure you have deleted this thread by now.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Things were broken. That's the whole point of the video to push them until they break. They have a whole series where they break expensive gear. People love a good train wreck. Now how that translates into actual durability for real world use is left up to the viewer. It's not like they fell off a cliff or something. If band x wasn't shown half the comments in this thread never happen.

sr80

WKR
Wow, I can't believe how many guys have their panties bunched up over this video. Im not surprised how easily that kuiu pack tore apart. I had a kuiu pack once for a couple days. Loaded my gear into and tightened down the straps and tore a seam apart right off the bat. Sent it back. Their pants rip easier than that pack did too!

Ozzymodel70

Lil-Rokslider
Yeah a lot of boys got their panties all bunched up for sure on this video. However I thought it was very useful for anybody considering lesser quality pack i e. Badlands Eberlesuck or Tenzing. For a little bit more money you get away better quality product. Just because it wasn't a rokslide type test doesn't mean it was useless.