non native big game species

boom

WKR
a Texas Aoudad was the first big animal i took. i credit it to the addiction.

didnt they just release kangaroo somewhere? montana?

Titan_Bow

WKR
I was stationed at Fort Benning, GA from 1998-2001 when I was in the Army. I hunted pigs ALOT. One night I was walking back to my truck down an old tank trail, and out 150 yards or so, what looked like a velociraptor, peeked out of the woods and ran across the road. It was just after shooting light, and that time of evening where your eyes definitely could play tricks on you. Well, I kept that to myself for about a year, becuase I knew if I told by buddies, they'd give me shit. About a year later, when I was getting my post hunting permit, I saw one of the wildlife guys had a grip and grin pic of himself with an Emu! I got to talking to him about it, and sure enough, he confirmed there was a small feral population of emu's on Fort Benning. Evidently, they had gotten lose from a farm operation that went bust. He said shoot them if you see them! I never did see another one, but did see there tracks a couple times.

JWP58

WKR
Public land? Texas has Axis, Sambar deer, Aoudad, Oryx, Nilgai, and maybe mouflon crosses (devils river nsa), and of course feral pigs. (a few warthogs at the Chap)

Private? Texas has whatever you want to pay for.

My public land Aoudad hunt was beyond epic, sure hope I draw it again before I'm gone. Didn't first go 'round this year.

Mountain goats in CO
Bison and elk in Alaska
Ibex, aoudad and gemsbok NM
Sika- Maryland

Then you got Texas... it’s a long cool list

COSA

Lil-Rokslider
I'm usually against introducing non-natives. But, those Ibex in NM are some cool animals, and they seem hardy. With our bighorn sheep herds struggling near domestics - I would not be opposed to introducing these in other ranges w/o bighorns. The oryx also seem to fill a niche that we don't have many big game animals on in the hot desert flats with little water.

boom

WKR
i spent (wasted) way too many hours trying to kill a bird out of a wild feral group of peacocks near yosemite.

that damn bird is a genius..very difficult to kill.

JWP58

WKR
to hunt those in texas is it pretty straightforward? buy tags n go? are there big populations on public land?

Depends. What do you want to hunt and where? Some public hunts take place in state parks, wildlife refuges, and wma's (which you have to draw). Some on army Corp of engineers and national forests (which u usually dont have to draw, but the only exotic would probably be hogs).

jspradley

WKR
to hunt those in texas is it pretty straightforward? buy tags n go? are there big populations on public land?

For private land hunts, yes. All you need is a hunting license and the $$$$ to get on the land. Legally exotic game is property of the land owner so what they say goes, no legal bag limit or season so have at it.

For public land, there are a few places you can hunt anything but small game, fowl or hogs without a special drawn permit but not very many. The only public land I can think of where you can do an OTC type hunt for exotics is Lake Amistad. There are populations of Mouflon, Auodad and Axis deer out there, never hunted there though

I drew a deer/nilgai hunt out at the Laguna Atascosa Wildlife Reserve this year for the second time, hopefully I can score a nilgai! :)