Carrying Food On You In Grizz Country

CiK01

WKR
Aware of the rules for grizz, food and all things smelly in your camp, but what about when you are out hiking/hunting? Do you take food with you? Keep it in its package and store a wrapper in a sealable bag to prevent smell? Or do you just leave it at camp and feast every night since you didn't eat all day?

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aware of the rules for grizz, food and all things smelly in your camp, but what about when you are out hiking/hunting? Do you take food with you? Keep it in its package and store a wrapper in a sealable bag to prevent smell? Or do you just leave it at camp and feast every night since you didn't eat all day?

Naw just carry it with you! A bear isn’t going to want your snickers bar enough to go through you. Just have it all in a ziplock and put your trash back in the ziploc then burn the trash when you get back to camp. You will 99.99% not have problems with a bear because of your daily food. It’s when your sleeping or gone that they may come through camp, be curious and tear the hell out of anything with scent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As long as you’re not smearing melted chocolate all over your pack you’ll be fine. There’s been more problems with bears when packing meat out. And even that’s rare, and most often when they’ve stopped for a break and let their guard down. Haven’t heard of a bear going after a clif bar in a pack while someone was wearing it. Pay attention to your surroundings and all that “Bear Aware” stuff and you’ll be fine.

OP
CiK01

CiK01

WKR
Thanks guys! First time in grizz country. Just trying to prepare for every situation and be be smart about it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jeffpg

WKR
We've all been there with having that first hunt in grizz infested country, especially us guys from east of the Mississippi. There's a lot of right and wrong things to do, and before you experience it one tends to plan for the worst case scenario, which is a good thing actually. But even in places where you are constantly seeing fresh sign, sightings aren't really all that common, especially when there are a few hunters scattered around.

Negative encounters are even less common, but the consequences are often horrendous. If you will just learn the do's and don'ts and remain extra diligent during situations when there's a high percentage chance of an encounter you will be fine. I believe that situational awareness is important, as victims of attacks consistently claim that by the time they knew a bear was coming, everything happened so quickly that they had no time to react.

Mattt

Lil-Rokslider
I have my kid roll a tire downhill at me. It has white paint at 12,3,6, and 9. I don't stop practicing the shot until I can hit all four paint spots before the tire hits me. That's how u prepare for grizz east of the mississip