Accidental cut poll

Have you ever accidentally cut yourself while field dressing/processing game?

• YES

Votes: 156 80.8%
  • NO

Votes: 33 17.1%
  • ONLY WHEN CHANGING BLADES

Votes: 2 1.0%
  • OTHER

Votes: 2 1.0%

• Total voters

TheCougar

WKR
If you haven’t cut yourself, it’s because you don’t have anything to dress. It happens. The real question is how often and how severely?

jspradley

WKR
Worst self inflicted cut was while I was field dressing a buddies Nilgai last year... was pretty bad on my left thumb, left a decent scar.

And, after all that Nilgai blood directly in the cut on my left hand, I ended up getting a bad infection in my right hand from a stupid cactus... lol

Took the top of my knuckle off with a dull buck knife one year. My buddy had sharpened it with a bench grinder. I had no knife so I was forced to use his.

There was no re-attaching penny sized chunk of skin. It was gone forever. lol

Shepherd

Lil-Rokslider
I cut myself pretty bad about 5 years ago on a Colorado elk. I slipped and cut my pointer finger to the bone. It took 15 stitches to patch me up. Luckily we were at camp and only had about a 1/2 hour drive to the nearest clinic. I try to be more careful now and not force anything or apply too much pressure.

OP
Where's Bruce?
Just a suggestion having reviewed the responses...I own a company that feeds nearly 1000 people daily...in our commercial kitchen everyone wears Dowellife Cut Resistant Gloves when holding a knife. Since we implemented this policy, injuries have plummeted. These people are cutting for several hours each day...far more than any hunter spends dressing game. Worth the ten bucks.

s-l300.jpg

skifunk2

FNG
After a few years of processing my own deer, and being around knives in a beef packing facility... I finally got myself. My neighbor was over watching, as he wanted to learn how to butcher at home...he got more than the usual demonstration when I sliced through the ribs and my finger!!
IMG_0084.jpg
IMG_0079.jpg

Foldem

WKR
I cut myself pretty bad about 5 years ago on a Colorado elk. I slipped and cut my pointer finger to the bone. It took 15 stitches to patch me up. Luckily we were at camp and only had about a 1/2 hour drive to the nearest clinic. I try to be more careful now and not force anything or apply too much pressure.

Where's Bruce?, I don't get it. Guys will wear latex gloves to not get blood on their hands but I've suggested cut resistant gloves a couple of times and nobody seems interested. Seems pretty obvious to me as a quick review of the results of the poll shows its not a matter of if, but when, and with the knives we use today they are made for surgically slicing right through tissue and tendon. If you get a tendon its a bad day.

Where's Bruce?, I don't get it. Guys will wear latex gloves to not get blood on their hands but I've suggested cut resistant gloves a couple of times and nobody seems interested. Seems pretty obvious to me as a quick review of the results of the poll shows its not a matter of if, but when, and with the knives we use today they are made for surgically slicing right through tissue and tendon. If you get a tendon its a bad day.

Lol exactly. I don't care one bit about getting blood on me, but I have started using the kevlar gloves and the very first time using them last year I was quartering a doe in very cold weather and my hand slipped with a brand new Havalon blade. The gloves saved me a nasty cut that day. I am a believer in them!

Shepherd

Lil-Rokslider
Yes, I just ordered two pair of the cut resistant gloves yesterday - one for me and one for my son.

Great suggestion - thank you. :)

My first elk about 4 hours into cutting her up by myself in the dark on almost no sleep I popped my hand with a Havalon, maybe an Outdoor's Edge, landed on the hand side of my pointer finger knuckle. It was weird in that it didn't bleed, at least not initially, but it was a nice gash and if I pulled it open I could see my ligament and could see I had dented the ligament too. It was pretty sore for a few weeks and I thought it would just be like that forever but a couple months later it was fine.

blackdawg

WKR
I picked the cut resistant glove tip up last year, best tip I have had in a long time. I skinned, deboned, cut into portions for table,10 deer and didn’t get a scratch. I do recommend multiple pairs, if it’s cold when they get bloody they will chill the hands very quickly. I just swapped a glove out when that occurred. I only wore a glove on the hand not holding the knife.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

unsuccessful

Lil-Rokslider
If I didn't cut myself.... I didn't kill anything.

Those gloves are great ... I’ve never wore them for dressing out game, but my buddy got some for my boys to use when they help us process meat, they love to help and this helps them (and me)

ChrisS

WKR
Hell, I just cut myself last weekend while camping & cleaning a small laker for dinner.

My self-inflicted wounds are more poker than slicer typically.

Fatcamp

WKR

I'm all over it. Thanks for the tip.

Tleek

Lil-Rokslider
I haven’t cleaned a ton of game, but have never cut myself cleaning fish.
I have cut myself cutting wood for fires n the field

Jskaanland

Administrator
Staff member
Just a suggestion having reviewed the responses...I own a company that feeds nearly 1000 people daily...in our commercial kitchen everyone wears Dowellife Cut Resistant Gloves when holding a knife. Since we implemented this policy, injuries have plummeted. These people are cutting for several hours each day...far more than any hunter spends dressing game. Worth the ten bucks.

s-l300.jpg

My wife and I use these while shucking oysters, they are a life(small cuts all over my fingers) savers! We just started using them in June, now that I'm thinking about it I'm gonna get a set for processing animals.