Accidental cut poll

Have you ever accidentally cut yourself while field dressing/processing game?

• YES

Votes: 156 80.8%
  • NO

Votes: 33 17.1%
  • ONLY WHEN CHANGING BLADES

Votes: 2 1.0%
  • OTHER

Votes: 2 1.0%

• Total voters
When I was 12 and had just shot my first deer, a doe in Wyoming, my dad handed me the bone saw and told me to saw off the lower part of the back legs. I grabbed the sheath with my left hand to hold it down while I pulled the saw out of the sheath, without considering where the blade would be going. I sawed pretty deep into my left thumb and started bleeding everywhere. I tried hiding it for a while but it wouldn’t stop bleeding so I fessed up about what I had done. My dad tied a handkerchief around it and told me to go finishing cutting the lower legs off.

I still have the scar visible on my thumb. Honestly a great memory for me. This year will be my first time hunting Wyoming since way back then.

KSP277

WKR
I’m pretty accident prone. Hell ive crashed everything with tires on it. Probably cut my self once eating cereal. How in the hell are you folks cutting yourself changing a havalon? I have used one for years with size 22 scalpels through trapping season. Buy blades by the 100 pack. That may be the only way I haven’t cut myself

Beendare

WKR
You didn't include sharp bones....I've been nicked by those a few times. I couple minor sticks with a knife.

Luckily, never anything major while processing game...now watch, you cursed us all!

I've been cut much worse when sitting down on the toilet..........by a folder that opened in my pocket...long story.

303TrophyHusband

Lil-Rokslider
I have cut myself but never accidentally, I do it intentionally so that I never have the embarrassment of having to admit it was accident. That sounds better right?

jpuckett

Lil-Rokslider
Lol me and my dad/ buddy probably skin/process 7 deer and 5-10 hogs a year...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jimbob

WKR
a little nick here or there but never anything that even required a band aid. My brother cut right through his tendon on the back of his hand skinning a moose.

oldgoat

WKR
If you haven't, you haven't been playing the game long! I think a better poll question would be "have you cut yourself so bad that you needed medical attention"!

MattB

WKR
So we've identified 1.67% of the Rokslide population that is the target market for a blade-changing tool. Can we now call this issue a wive's tale?

Boudreaux

Lil-Rokslider
So we've identified 1.67% of the Rokslide population that is the target market for a blade-changing tool. Can we now call this issue a wive's tale?

No, because I am sure that most will include changing blade cuts AND skinning cuts into YES. The few people who say only while changing blades, says they never had a self inflicted injury other than that.

To think that cutting yourself while changing blades is a wive's tale is crazy. If you have never cut yourself changing blades, you have either used a tool or not changed enough blades.

Wapiti1

WKR
Probably one out of 4-5 critters and I'll get a minor cut. Seems like the colder it is out, the more likely from stiff fingers. Worst was not remembering that there was half an arrow and a broadhead still in my elk. Got me across the back of the wrist when I reached in to get the heart. Nothing major, but clean cuts like that bleed forever.

For the record, I don't use a havalon. I own a havalon so that my so called friends don't make fun of me, but have never actually used it.

Jeremy

Several times. But nothing major. I seem to knick myself with my Havalon a few times a year. I stuck that dang thing right into my
Index finger last year while gutting my Ohio buck. Stupid things are just TOO sharp lol. I bought a pair of lightweight Kevlar gloves just for this purpose. I’m not careless by any means but you process enough critters and it’s gonna happen!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WJS23

WKR
Small cuts and stuff like that wile braking down animals but nothing that required stitches or superglue.

Scrappy

WKR
I have quick clot gauze, bandages, and cut resistant gloves in my pack. What does that say about me?

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Nics here and there but once when tired and cutting fast straddling a carcass side hill I opened up the groin area of my pants a few inches and was damn glad nothing other than my pants got cut.

2five7

WKR
Did 20 animals last year, no cuts. Can't remember the last time I cut myself, probably 5 years ago while changing a havalon blade. A wise man once told me the #1 rule for field dressing...

"Cut towards your buddy, not your body"

AKDoc

WKR
Classified Approved
Glad to see I'm not alone on this one!

Anybody have their own personal coffee cup with their name on it at the local emergency room?

I have given myself minor cuts multiple times. Only once (so far) have a I given myself a major cut. Late season deer hunt, in a hurry, with cold hands and I slipped. The knife went all the way through my thumbnail and was trying to poke through the skin on the other side. Fortunately, it was 3 degrees and the wound froze over!