Accidental cut poll

Have you ever accidentally cut yourself while field dressing/processing game?

• YES

Votes: 156 80.8%
  • NO

Votes: 33 17.1%
  • ONLY WHEN CHANGING BLADES

Votes: 2 1.0%
  • OTHER

Votes: 2 1.0%

• Total voters
I recently added Bandaids and Woundseal to my kill kit. This isn't because I think I'm good with a knife.

fishslap

WKR
Three times:
1. Skinning a whitetail while it was hanging, had one hand holding/pulling down on the hide and was going to fast. Skinnin’ stroke overshot a bit and sliced into a finger pretty good but not an emergency.
2. Taking the lower leg off an elk. Cut finger.
3. Taking the lower leg off an elk. Cut finger pretty good.

All small/medium fixed blades.

Axlrod

WKR
worked many years in my dads meat shop and when someone would take a bandaid break he would say " we have plenty of meat to cut around here dont need to cut your own!"

First time ever was on my last turkey... kind of... i reached into my pack to grab my knife to cut some paracord to tie to its legs to my pack and some how the sheath stayed in the bag and the knife diced the heck out of my finger. Bled like a stuck pig and probably needed stitches. I actually got to use the maxi pad I have been packing in my first aid for just such an occasion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

on 3 or 4 deer a year i typically will nick myself at least once but nothing that has required medical attention. i used a havalon for a couple of seasons and it seemed to happen more frequently because there is just zero forgiveness if one of those blades touches your skin.

twall13

WKR
I wore a cut resistant glove on my left hand last year (I hold the knife in my right hand) and it prevented several nicks to my hand. I plan on making that a permanent part of my kill kit.

strand

Lil-Rokslider
I answered no because I've never cut myself bad enough to even need a bandaid while cutting up animals in the field. HOWEVER, I've cut myself terribly while cutting tape off a hockey stick (umpteen stitches), slicing bread (wtf right?), prepping dinner which included wild game, opening up amazon packages, shaving, etc. Crap happens when I'm handling a blade and I'm not 100% focused on it, so I take twice as long as the next guy to field dress anything, but it's worked out so far. I carry bandaids, gauze, tape, etc and fully expect it to happen eventually. How's that for confidence?

Lawnboi

WKR
Little nicks over the years, but nothing bad. Usually get a small one every animal.

This year I'll be carrying a cut resistant glove for my left hand, as I almost did a number last year cutting up a deer on a good slope.

No blade changing for me, I tried the replacement blade knives and they are not for me.

If your that afraid of getting cut changing a blade just go buy a quality knife and learn to sharpen it. You can easily make a quality knife havalon throwaway sharp with some practice.

MattB

WKR
No, because I am sure that most will include changing blade cuts AND skinning cuts into YES. The few people who say only while changing blades, says they never had a self inflicted injury other than that.

To think that cutting yourself while changing blades is a wive's tale is crazy. If you have never cut yourself changing blades, you have either used a tool or not changed enough blades.

Agree that the poll was poorly conceived to test the premise. But qualitatively speaking, of the respondents who said yes and then described how they were cut, I didn't see an instance where changing a Havalon blade was the cause.

The 3rd option on not being cut changing blades is that there may be a technique that mitigates that from happening. I've only changed 40-50 Havalon blades so perhaps not as many as others, but I honestly struggle with this being an issue given how frequently the subject is raised on hunting forums versus the infrequence with which I have read where it has actually happened.

Carlin59

WKR
It seems like since i switched to a Havalon, I've had many small nicks, usually one per critter. However, now I'm much more cognizant and aware of what the Havalon can do, and try to be really cautious. Knock on wood, i've avoided any significant cuts so far, but i'm sure its just a matter of time (regardless of blade system used).

I've found that the small cuts from a very sharp knife like a Havalon are much less severe than those from a relatively dull knife that I'm putting a lot of Umph behind.

wapitibob

WKR
"The 3rd option on not being cut changing blades is that there may be a technique that mitigates that from happening."

That and paying attention to what you're doing.

TripleJ

WKR
Use of a Havalon has led to more cuts for me in the last few years. I cut a thin slice off the end of my thumb right at the beginning of breaking down my bull a couple seasons ago. It bled until I was done processing and back at my truck about 3 hours later, where I was able to wrap it in duct tape. That could have been a lot worse since it was a solo hunt with zero cell phone coverage anywhere near. I now carry a regular knife in my pack again, as well as a havalon.

Foldem

WKR

elkyinzer

WKR
If you havent been cut you probably havent cut much....

Yeah, I thought about it and just went with "other" because reflexively I was thinking of the field and stream survival article, like oh shit, I just knifed my femoral and almost died in the woods. Or less dramatically even at a minimum, maybe needing a few stitches. Neither of which I've done despite having many minor cuts over the years.

TXCO

WKR
I had one bad cut where I sliced the back of my thumb. Took about 7 stitches.