Accidental cut poll

Have you ever accidentally cut yourself while field dressing/processing game?

• YES

Votes: 156 80.8%
  • NO

Votes: 33 17.1%
  • ONLY WHEN CHANGING BLADES

Votes: 2 1.0%
  • OTHER

Votes: 2 1.0%

• Total voters

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Yep, about 30+ years ago I was cutting the lower legs off at the joint and the fixed blade knife cut right through some ligaments and kept going downward slicing my right hand index finger to the bone, just below the joint closest to the hand. Still have that scar. Haven't done anything like that since. Can't say the same about chainsaws.

I'm guessing that most everyone that has spent any amount of time breaking down big game has at least nicked themselves with a blade here and there. But I've never cut myself changing blades.

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
I feel like the options should have been more along the lines of "how many times have you cut yourself?".

If you cut up enough animals you're going to get cut. Plain and simple imo.

Apollo117

WKR
It happens to everyone. I have an uncle who is a veterinary surgeon; he believes wearing latex gloves can help a lot to protect your hands. I keep a supply of latex gloves in my kill kit. If we kill a bunch of hogs I like to use 3mil latex gloves. I find they protect my hands well, and still allow me to feel what I am holding.

NebraskaStickHunter

Lil-Rokslider
Yes more so while processing the meat because it is cold and my hands get cold so you don’t even feel the slice until you see the blood. At least in my case.

MOHunter

Lil-Rokslider
Last fall I gave myself a dandy on my left middle finger to the bone. Had just started up the back of the neck. Off hand was on antlers and the knife jumped all the way up there! Was all alone and tried to doctor it and finish the job. Bad decision. Had to hike out and get help to come finish. Always will have super glue from now on.
7d09f8947b2203c56fdebfa7bc5c91ef.jpg
3a117bae2b067b1762af62aa9ff6c3cc.jpg

Bl704

WKR
It seems at least once per animal...unfortunately. And by that track record it sounds very odd to say I'm hoping to cut myself again in a matter of weeks. :S

Crippledsledge64

Lil-Rokslider
Nothing serious yet just a few nicks more on bones and broadheads rather than knives but that’s more a testament to youth and limited success than skill. Seen it happen to plenty of others though one bad one on a broken muzzy head.

jpuckett

Lil-Rokslider
This is my life motto: “Always cut towards your buddy never towards yourself”

So naturally I’ve cut myself about 10 times and cut my buddies/dad almost as much hahahahaha. But I can process a deer pretty damned fast hahahaha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Broomd

WKR
....Cut myself many times, but you forgot to include "cut others" on your poll...my wife stills wears a stab scar from '99 with an Alaskan moose we killed as a family. I slipped and stabbed her leg. Her camo wasn't even cut, but her skin was. Cut my son in '15 on a mountain goat I killed, as well.

And the simple truth is, I try to be careful! Sh t happens field dressing scores of animals over a lifetime.

I was using a havalon and was on the final few cuts to remove the hind quarter off a deer last year and slipped and cut my knee. My first reaction was “dang it I just cut my new attack pants” then I saw the blood coming through my pants and realized I gave myself a pretty good cut on my knee. I went and cleaned the cut at a gas station and hunted the rest of the day because I still had a tag in my pocket. I should have got stitches but wanted to keep Hunting. I have a pretty good scar from that one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

madtom

FNG
Been lucky, no major cuts in the field, but several small cuts while processing at home. I’m really afraid of cutting myself badly on the mountain, so I use a very sharp knife and take my time. Also keep first aid kit in my kill kit.

Nothing too horrible luckily but usually a light little poke here and there. Usually happens when im up to my elbows in cutting out the wind pipe. Splitting the sternum will reduce that dramatically i imagine but i pretty much bone everything out on site now and dont worry about guts and organs.

MattB

WKR
I've cut myself 4-5 times working on animals, nothing that required more than a bandaid.

The worst cut I've got was from my hunting partner, still not too bad.

I did get a broadhead cut to my leg in a freak accident that required stitches. Was back in the field a few hours later.

And then there were all those incidents while changing Havalon blades...

Last edited: