Removing Fish Fillet Bones

treillw

WKR
How do you remove the bones from trout fillets? I know how to remove the rib bones, but there is that single row of bones that run in a line between every flake of meat around the top third of the fish. I have cut them out in the past, but then you're left with a cut-up fillet. I have also tried pulling the bones out with a pair of tweezers. I was able to pull a few out, but it seemed like they were just breaking off in the meat anyway and they pulled out that hard that it was making a mess out of the fillet. Maybe it would work better if I had the fillet really cold?

How in the world to commercial fish processing centers do it?

Huntin wv

Lil-Rokslider
I don’t worry about them if the trout is under 14” or so because they are small enough that when cooked aren’t really noticeable. On larger trout I’ve pulled them with tweezers and didn’t have any problems tearing up the fillets. I do think colder would be better as long as they’re not frozen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CX5Ranch

WKR
Filet the fish just like you would a crappie. Now hold the meat rib side up. Remove rib cage. Now "score" the meat in 1/8" increments being careful not to cut all the way through. You will feel the bones crush under the knife. Don't cut any deeper than that. Fry in a hot cast iron skillet.

Remember I said 1/8 inch.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

reelnmn

FNG
For trout the best thing to do is cook them bone in. You can skin them by gutting, then cut then skin around the throat. Use a pair of pliers to pull the skin back down towards the tail. Grill, fry or bake. The filets will shrink slightly and you can then take a fork starting in the middle of each side and pull each filet off (top and bottom of each side) without any bones.

gbflyer

WKR
The pin bones don’t pull easily until the fillet has been either frozen or have been in the refer for a couple of days. We pull them after freezing, for fresh fillets we just live with them.

The pin bones don’t pull easily until the fillet has been either frozen or have been in the refer for a couple of days. We pull them after freezing, for fresh fillets we just live with them.

this is what i do with salmon.. i usually don't pull the pin bones unless im going to grill it that night. after freezing they slide right out before cooking or smoking.
also forceps for fly fishing or something work better than regular tweezers.