out of state hunter CO

joebman

FNG
Hello,

This year I am going to Colorado for an elk archery season hunt. It's fair to say I'm from out of state, I'm from London England. This will be the first time I've hunted.

My plan is go spend my time in the backcountry. I am fully expecting to not even see an elk.

However that being said, I am conscious that IF, thanks to some miracle, I manage to get an elk on the ground (and find it) I don't want the meat to go to waste. I fully prepared to spend the 4 days hiking it out of the woods. Due to flying into colorado I will not have access to any coolers.

Is there anyone on here, or do you know anyone that would being willing to take a donation of elk meat (namely the whole elk)? And if need be let me borrow coolers to assist in transporting it?

Joe

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
You've probably got at least a couple grand into this trip. Stop by a Walmart and pick up a couple 120qt Coleman Extreme 6's for $57/each just to be safe. If you don't use them, return them on your way out. If you do use them, donate them and the meat.

Couple of potential problems with this scenario. It is illegal to use game meat in any type of transaction, including bartering meat for cooler rental.

Secondly, unless you take it to the recipient's home, giving them more than 20 lbs of unprocessed meat would require the recipient to have an unfilled tag for the same species, sex, season, and manner of take as your license.

From the CPW Big Game brochure:

Donation certificates are required for all game-meat donations. Certificates must show names, addresses and telephone numbers of donor and recipi-ent; donor’s hunting license number; species and amounts donated; date of kill; donor’s signature. The certificate can be a simple note; no special form required. It must stay with the meat until completely consumed. Donor and recipient are subject to bag and possession limits.
NOTE: A “like license” is a license for exactly the same species, sex, season and method of take as a donor’s license.
1. You can donate to someone WITH or WITHOUT a like license: a. any amount of processed and packaged game meat, anywhere.
2. You can donate to someone WITHOUT a like license:a. up to 20 pounds of unprocessed meat, anywhere.b. more than 20 pounds of unprocessed meat, only at recipient’s home.
3. You can donate to someone WITH a like license:a. up to 20 pounds of unprocessed meat, anywhere.b. more than 20 pounds of unprocessed meat, anywhere, only if: (1) recipient’s license is unfilled, and (2) recipient’s carcass tag is on the meat. This establishes recipient’s claim to his/her portion of meat and voids his/her license. Donor’s tag must remain with his/her portion. c. the entire carcass, if: (1) recipient’s license is unfilled, and (2) donor’s carcass tag and recipient’s like-license carcass tag is on the meat, voiding both licenses.​

You could purchase a couple coolers and if unsuccessful return them. If they get used, resell them.

Contact Farmer and Hunters Feeding the Hungry. They'll take the meat and might have some coolers to use. Fhfh.org

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fishslap

WKR
I agee on just buying a couple cheap coolers then returning them or giving them away at the end. For the actual meat, I would call a few butchers/game processors in the area to see if they can take or help you distribute the meat. If I kill an elk and a mule deer, I have a butcher shop that will take my mule deer since the wife and I just can’t eat that much meat. We keep it legal by filling out a donation certificate and there’s no trade/compensation. Most years the guys cutting meat want it but they also get people calling in for game meat that people may not have picked up. What general part of the state are you hunting?

Phaseolus

WKR
Joe,

Where in Colorado will you be hunting? I’m always up for some good exercise by packing elk meat out if it reltively close to me (Grand Junction area).

Ucsdryder

WKR
I think it would be awesome to get someone from England into some elk. The stories he would tell back in England!!! Are you going OTC? Do you have a door picked it?

Couple things come to mind immediately. first ..do you have a valid hunter safety certificate? I see you getting to colorado with no hunter safety cert and not getting a license. second. you are flirting with a wanton waste violation. Get some coolers and take care of the meat or make arrangements with a local meat locker to hang and process your elk.
based on what i have read so far you are correct you have very little chance of shooting an elk. That being said I have been completely shocked about who happens to get lucky and get one before so. long and short you are playing with fire. you come in here saying you want to hunt something you have absolutely no desire to eat. i have a problem with that. i am guessing i am not alone.

fishslap

WKR
@huntindog, as long as he has a plan, which is what he’s asking for help with, and someone eats it, then who cares? I’ve been lucky to kill a bull the last three years. My wife and I can’t eat more than that but I still want to hunt muleys. Guys at the butcher shop don’t get a lot of time to hunt so they really enjoy the donation. Legal and everybody wins. Also, why come on here and assume this guys not capable of killing an elk or that he’s going to waste it. Why try to scare him with your assumptions. Pretty shitty way to be.

gbflyer

WKR
I’d say the OP is doing the right thing by asking. If I were he I’d start by stating what unit I was hunting. Maybe someone here is hunting the same unit and can help the dude out. I’ve met plenty of Brits, always a good time.

@huntindog, as long as he has a plan, which is what he’s asking for help with, and someone eats it, then who cares? I’ve been lucky to kill a bull the last three years. My wife and I can’t eat more than that but I still want to hunt muleys. Guys at the butcher shop don’t get a lot of time to hunt so they really enjoy the donation. Legal and everybody wins. Also, why come on here and assume this guys not capable of killing an elk or that he’s going to waste it. Why try to scare him with your assumptions. Pretty shitty way to be.

yah i see your point. something about the way it came off the way he said it kind of got my goat a little . point taken.

Mosby

WKR
I have donated meat to local families in Canada and charities in PA, when I couldn't get it home. The important thing is that the animal is not wasted.Find a local game processor in advance and find out if he can help you donate the meat. Sometimes you pay the price to have it processed and then the charities or families pick it up.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
yah i see your point. something about the way it came off the way he said it kind of got my goat a little . point taken.

Well, there's no way he's transporting the meat back to England, so he has to donate it to someone.

One year when we were stationed overseas I came back and hunted elk with a buddy. I had an either sex tag and a cow tag and filled both tags. The meat did not go to waste.

Well, there's no way he's transporting the meat back to England, so he has to donate it to someone.

One year when we were stationed overseas I came back and hunted elk with a buddy. I had an either sex tag and a cow tag and filled both tags. The meat did not go to waste.

yah my initial knee jerk reaction was unfounded. shit we as hunters should be helping and encouraging the participation. sorry that i came off that way. my bad.

OP
J

joebman

FNG
Thanks for all the responses.

In regards to the Walmart coolers, I will definitely keep this in mind. And use this if need be.

I have no intention of wasting the meat. I plan to eat as much of it that I can myself, however I am aware that won't be a dent in that of an elk.

I appreciate the pointers in regards to donations and legality surrounding this issue. My last intention is to ruin someone else's opportunity or waste the meat.

I've got some calls to make to FHFH