Packwheel

Anyone used a packwheel? Pack Wheel - Collapsible, single wheeled, lightweight hiking/game cart that carries your gear, backpack, deer or elk off the mountain.

pack-wheel-single-wheeled-game-cart-hauling-moose-quarters.jpg

muddydogs

WKR
With the single wheel your going to spend more energy trying to keep it upright then it's worth, can't even imagine trying to push that thing up hill over a rough area.

CX5Ranch

WKR
Be like pushing a wheelbarrow full of elk out of the mountains. I'll pass.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Randle

WKR
I know several guys that have shot more elk then I will in a lifetime that have used a single wheel cart and swear it is the way to go. I have alot of respect for them and trust their opinions. .Monty is in his 60s and still hunts elk hard. Ross knows him well. He would not use it if it was a waste. That said I don't think it is for me. It is probably. Try it to see if it is for you.

I have not used one but there are enough guys using them around here that there most be something to them. On a trail I imagine it's pretty sweet.
In fact both companies were formerly hunting buddies, each say the other copied him. Guess if it was completely worthless it wouldn't be worth copying.

• Banned
OP
Where's Bruce?
I have one similar. It is called a Honey Badger wheel. Last season I hauled a whole boned elk out in one trip. Of course it was almost all downhill.......

HBW Game Cart | Backpacking Cart, Hunting Cart and Hiking Stroller

I was checking out the MP Fattie and MP E-Fattie as well. Which model is this? Would you still take it if you had a buddy along? When you entered the field, did you take it with you or leave it in the truck? If actually hunting with it along...did you put it on your pack or wheel it in? What's your overall opinion? I will be hunting an open country area that is largely flat by elk standards. Sounds like you hauled yours uphill a fair ways. Please elaborate.

Mine is the efattie. The electric packwheel is a MUCH better option. I loaded mine up at home, and when I got to the trailhead, run it out of the truck, and immediately followed it up the mountain. I didn't 'pack it', I let it do the packing. My tut had plenty of room to park it in the tent when camp was set up. I hunted on foot and left the wheel in camp. Packed my elk out on my back to where I could get the wheel to it, and went to the truck that way. My opinion is, the thing works great for me. 62 years old with some physical limitations, and feel this thing extended my 'on foot' elk hunting for a few more years. No frigging way I could have got my elk out last year by myself without being totally wiped, and maybe losing some meat to the heat. The guys saying they're hard to balance , have obviously never used one. As for using too much energy, yeah they're a workout, but way easier than using your back.....

OP
Where's Bruce?
That's what I was thinking...range extender for elk in deep. Can you confirm this is true? Taken from the manufacturer's website:

Where can I take the e-Pack Wheel?

Many public land areas we have found no restrictions on the use of a system like this. The e-Pack Wheel is not a vehicle that carries you like an e-bike would and the e-Pack Wheel is very quiet. We have been able to get permission to use the system on public land that has "no motorized vehicle" restrictions because it is quiet and you still have to hike yourself. We feel the e-Pack Wheel falls under "No Motorized Equipment" restrictions but not under "No Motorized Vehicles." If in doubt please check with your local authorities over the property you wish to use this in.

NV HUNTER

WKR
I am really interested in this topic and real world experience with the product. I almost bought one last season, because I thought I was going to be alone on my hunt and thought it would be great for the solo backcountry hunts. More info please.