2018 Pack weight?

amp713

WKR
Some people are already filling tags, some people are hunting and some people are awaiting opening day! This next weekend is the opener here in Utah and so I have been finalizing getting my gear loaded up. I decided to weigh my back after getting it loaded, no water, food for over 5 days and camera gear and I came in at 36 pounds! What is everyone else looking at?? Obviously situations and time in field changes it quickly but I thought it would be fun to see what everyone says.

I have a video on my youtube of me unloading the bag after weighing it if anyone wants to see what I'm using to stay under 40 pounds. A 36 pound pack for 2018 Archery season!! - YouTube

OP
amp713

amp713

WKR
Throw away the scale and train your legs to carry your gear.

I hike through out the year with more weight than what my complete bag weighed in at. I'm not cutting out any essentials to save weight but by actually paying attention to what it weighs I've kept the weight easier than someone who just throws shit in and ends up packing 20 pounds of extra unnecessary gear.

OP
amp713

amp713

WKR
5 days of food, gear, 2 liters of water, and bow weighed in at 37.6 pounds Friday.

Ya my bow is not included in that weight haha Its almost 8 pounds fully dressed for the dance...

Water is usually not a big issue for me but this year I drew a desert unit and it's a bad drought year so I'm going to pack in way more than normal

Crippledsledge64

Lil-Rokslider
I'm definitely one of those guys who packed way more than I need. First trip out West last September my packed weighed 67 pounds. I thought I needed every ounce of it until I was halfway up a mountain. Cutting back on food and some unneeded gear will help but until I can get some lighter gear i'm probably looking at low to mid 50's.

tuffcity

WKR
Curious... why do people weigh their packs and then add the disclaimer "but without food, water, spotting scope, rifle/bow". Do they have a sherpa that brings this stuff up the mountain for them :) or is it just a mental game to try and fool yourself that the pack is lighter than it actually is?

Why not load everything that is going up the hill with you then weigh the pack?

That being said I'm usually around 65# for a 10-12 day sheep hunt.

RC

The smart hunter, does both.
Scrutinize every piece of gear, and condition your body.

Really? If you truly scrutinize your gear why do you care what it weighs? Not hacking on ya. I just don't understand the whole pack weight thing. If it is your first trip ever with a pack then maybe.

ljalberta

WKR
Really? If you truly scrutinize your gear why do you care what it weighs? Not hacking on ya. I just don't understand the whole pack weight thing. If it is your first trip ever with a pack then maybe.

This is a thread about pack weight! If you don't like the focus on pack weights, you don't have to read or comment on this thread! That's like going into the long range hunting forum and complaining about the distances...

Everything (including 2l h20, 5 days food @ 1.5lb/day, rifle/ammo): ~50.5lbs

Dry weight (no food, water, weapon): ~31lbs

mireland62887

Lil-Rokslider
I'm at 42 pounds (water/bow included) for our hike in this Friday. I could get it sub 40, but it's going to be mid 90's heading in. I'm wearing shorts and a wicking shirt hiking in. I'll pack the extra couple pounds to be comfortable hiking in.

Because gear gets refined over the years, or better products are brought to market.

I used to use crappy REI tents, then went to less crappy Mountain Hardware and Big Agnes tents...now I use UL Zpacks Cuban fiber shelters.
Same with bags...used to use heavy bags, then found WM and FF bags....now I use quilts because they’re lighter and more compact.

Through years of refinement and scrutiny, I’ve gotten my base pack down to like 18 pounds.
I can go 5 days no problem at 30 or so pounds.
Size/volume also decreases with scrutinizing gear. The CF bag on my SG frame is 2800 ci. Lots of guys use 6000 ci bags.

Some dudes show up with double the weight of my pack, or more!
It all adds up, regardless of ones personal fitness.
On top of that, with streamlined gear and systems...I can break camp in just minutes and be on the move( and not have to carry a lot of unnecessary weight or volume).

Last edited:

KSP277

WKR
About 53 lb. Could drop some weight. But I have a 2 man tent, and a huge sleeping pad. And some food that ain’t so light. But I like to eat, and don’t wanna feel like I’m trying to sleep in a sock.

OP
amp713

amp713

WKR
Curious... why do people weigh their packs and then add the disclaimer "but without food, water, spotting scope, rifle/bow". Do they have a sherpa that brings this stuff up the mountain for them :) or is it just a mental game to try and fool yourself that the pack is lighter than it actually is?

Why not load everything that is going up the hill with you then weigh the pack?

That being said I'm usually around 65# for a 10-12 day sheep hunt.

RC

I personally dont weigh with water because normally I use a nalgene and steri pen so I'm not packing a ton the entire hike. Bow is similar, it is in my hand not on my back if it's open season and I have a tag. I do however weigh the bow also for fun

I honestly pay no attention to the weight. I carry what I need weather the pack ends up being 30# or 55#. I spend money on the lightest gear I can, but I’m also no stranger to carrying the kitchen sink. I’ll never not be prepared because I was trying to save a pound. I’m sure my day pack to my 7 day pack is never any less than 35#.

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
Just weighed mine without water but with my bow attached. 60 lbs. I could drop the 15x Swaros, but I know I would miss them up there. Other than that not much to take out since I’m also filming it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’m at 25.4 lbs plus food, water, and gun since that’s what most guys are talking about. My goal was 40 lbs fully packed but I don’t think I’m going to make it unless I can manage to cut a bit.

I don’t understand including water, because that’s variable and has nothing to do with gear. If you’re carrying all your water in, then you’re not really Backcountry Hunting, you’re day hunting. The weapon is a subject for another forum. There’s also a big difference in going for 7-10 days out, and day hunting with the chance of maybe toughing out a night in discomfort. I would think most people that are truly going to be gone for 5 or more days are going to bring some comfort stuff, and just in case stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Owenst7

WKR
I weigh my gear and scrutinize everything because I don't want to stop hunting in 40 years due to knee surgeries, and I'm not retarded enough to think I'm invincible. When I was 16, I thought it was cool to carry a heavy pack. Now I understand that I can hunt faster, farther, and concentrate better when my pack is as light as it can be.

My total carried weight is a hair under 50 lbs for 5-7 days with temps from 5-60°F. I carry a spotter and tripod. I include my binos because I haven't bought one of those giant chest rigs that carry themselves up the mountain. When I travel along water, I dump all 3 liters and just fill a bottle and drink from my Sawyer when I need to. That drops 6.6 lbs.