2018 Pack weight?

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
for September and five days, I'm right at 40 lbs- that's 1.5 lbs/day of food (7.5 lbs) and 1.5 liters of water (3.5 lbs), includes optics (10x42's on a tripod)- not much room to cut weight- pretty light pack (SG Krux/5300 bag), shelter (SO Silvertip) and bag (E&E Apex 20 degree quilt)

I'm a newb to back pack hunting, today I decided to make sure all my stuff fit in my pack and where I wanted to stash certain items and that opened a new can of worms. Wen't to weigh it and my cheap fishing scale blew up !

I am guessing it's 40 pounds with 3 liters water and 5 days of food. I am curious though so I guess I will have to get a scale and weigh it. My hunting partner is an experienced backpack hunter and a gram weenie I am curious what his will weigh in at. He is planning a through hike on the AT and I think he's shooting for around 20 for that trip.

ohoopee

WKR
I found lighterpack.com last week. Online spreadsheet that allowed me to enter my gear and weights. Use it
as a tool to see what I carry and lighten where I can. Really hard to get accurate until I weigh my pack while
headed out the door to see what last minute things I threw in!! Just finished my summer spreadsheet.

The reason it matters to me is that at 55 yrs young, cutting 10lbs helps me to enjoy what I love a little longer.

Muttly

WKR
Mile and a half up last week, right around 50 lbs, pushing 50. Came back down and started looking at lighter gear.
Two years ago and in the woods every weekend, the bitchin increased with the altitude, but it was doable. This year, wasn't out in the woods near as often, out a shape, and it showed.
15 years ago, wouldn't have cared about the weight. 5 years ago, would have cared but stubborn could still get me a long ways. Now, looking to drop some weight, get out more to get the endurance back. Pack, shelter, and pad look like the quickest places to dump weight and coin simultaneously..

I'm a newb to back pack hunting, today I decided to make sure all my stuff fit in my pack and where I wanted to stash certain items and that opened a new can of worms. Wen't to weigh it and my cheap fishing scale blew up !

I am guessing it's 40 pounds with 3 liters water and 5 days of food. I am curious though so I guess I will have to get a scale and weigh it. My hunting partner is an experienced backpack hunter and a gram weenie I am curious what his will weigh in at. He is planning a through hike on the AT and I think he's shooting for around 20 for that trip.

If you just bought a bunch of gear and are happy with how it carries I’d NOT weigh it. I can almost guarantee you’re not close to 40 lbs with food and 3L of water. Unfortunately, it’s rather difficult to do and doesn’t happen accidentally. I was bummed I’m not going to be hitting my 40 lb goal after picking the lightest items I could find for the most part.

ohoopee

WKR
Mile and a half up last week, right around 50 lbs, pushing 50. Came back down and started looking at lighter gear.
Two years ago and in the woods every weekend, the bitchin increased with the altitude, but it was doable. This year, wasn't out in the woods near as often, out a shape, and it showed.
15 years ago, wouldn't have cared about the weight. 5 years ago, would have cared but stubborn could still get me a long ways. Now, looking to drop some weight, get out more to get the endurance back. Pack, shelter, and pad look like the quickest places to dump weight and coin simultaneously..

The thing I was most amazed by is how quickly the oz's add up to lbs. Saving five oz's on cook system, 3 oz's on knife and Ive saved a half of a pound. I still take the things I enjoy chair, camp shoes and such but just purchase the lightest versions. Im still working on finding a balance with my food and clothing though.

Btaylor

WKR
Packed for 7 days, first week of archery in CO, and tipped the scale at 43# minus water. Could easily shave 5-6# with gear upgrades and tweaking after this trip which will be my first backpack hunt.

I don't weigh my gear. I made light choices when I purchased my gear from the start. I also try to "minimize" the amount of luxeries I take and keep it to bare neccesities. Some things I can live without, other things I'll pay the penalty in comfort.

So I weighed it up last night, according to my bathroom scale with me on it and then with me and the pack I am at 39 pounds. Without food at 1.5 pounds per day and without water ( 3l platy to fill)

Stone Glacier 5900 w/ lid and dry bag

3 L platypus bag w/ inline refill for Sawyer - 3 smart water bottles ( 1 dirty, 2 clean)
Sawyer squeeze and flush collar

Jet-boil and fuel can, Spork, collapsible cup ( silicone)

Map/ compass, GPS, holster and pistol, Tyto knife, Trekking poles

Possibles Kit:

Flagging tape, extra blades for Tyto, mini Bic, fire starter, water purification tablets, extra bow string, extra weather rest / tape, stringer, 25' cord- bowfishing line, contractor bag

Medical kit:

Pepto pills, Ibuprofen, allergy medication, Benadryl , betadine wipes, large and small band-aids, vet wrap, tweezers, Imodium, Stool softener, gauze pads, Desetin,

Personal: Toothbrush/paste, nail clippers, Lueko tape, camp towel

Sleep system:

Big Agnes 15 degree down bag / pad, air pad pillow, Small Thermarest pad, Tyvek ground sheet
extra pair socks/underwear

Aerowool 3/4 base layer bottom

F/L Pants

230 merino 1/4 zip base shirt

C4 1/4 zip shirt- nylon ( camo)

Kryptek grid fleece hoody (camo)

Kryptek puffy ( blk)

C4 Rain Jacket ( camo)

Gloves, lt weight beanie/ heavier beanie

OR Croc Gaiters

UtahJimmy

WKR
Hitting the trail in a few hours. Mine weighed 42# all up with food, water, and bow last night. Only thing not included there is trekking poles and bino harness.

So excited for the morning!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Looks like my pack for my Wyoming hunt will be right at 47lbs including my 9lb rifle and five days of food. I think I’m doing pretty good. Camera gear is 4.35lbs so that’s weight I don’t NEED but it’s going for sure. Should be right at 50lbs with water. I’ve been training with 70 all summer so it doesn’t feel bad at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

530Chukar

WKR
Cutting out the camp chair and whiskey this year is going to put meat 58 lbs for 7 days at 12,000 ft base camp in first season colorado. That includes tent, stove, gun, food, 2L water. Everything that’s on the pack when it leaves the truck should be the only weight that matters.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk