How many hunt solo

manitou1

WKR
I hunt solo due to the many reasons above. I choose what and when to eat, when and where to hunt, when to sleep. Freedom at it's finest. You can learn a lot about yourself. It's almost a spiritual adventure. I do miss the camaraderie and joking at times and after about 8 days I start yearning for companionship... although I generally like being alone.
At 57, I don't do any extreme country but where I go in Wyoming if something did happen they would probably find me in a day or two with coyotes chewing on my bones.
You have to be very concious of your risks and the possible outcomes for sure.

Oregon

WKR
I’m middle aged. Been hunting seriously for roughly 35 years. I’ve deer hunted 11 different states, lived in Alaska 3 years, been a long ways from nowhere lots of times.
The solo danger factor needs to be well thought out obviously. Always have a game plan.
With all that said, only one time in my life did the solo thing almost bite me in my ass(literally).
Bear hunt within site of my house if I would of been on top of ridge.
Rolled a bear down a clear cut into an overgrown creek. No movement, heard death roar 30 minutes prior.
Jumped 5’ into creek, as feet hit ground I had an angry bear charge. Thankfully I had broke tailbone on shot and it was crawling at me bawling at 8 feet away.
No one had a clue where I was. Just out bear hunting.
Go forth, hunt. Life’s too short to depend on other people to make memories.

gumbl3

WKR
I hunt solo, can't get my buddies away from their deer feeders and insulated blinds.. I actually enjoy the drive unless I run into one of them mountain hail storms..

netman

WKR
Solo hunter here. The long drive doesn’t even bother me. When I get tired I stop and sleep.

I almost always go solo because I don’t want the availability of others to dictate my seasons. It drives my wife crazy, but rifle seasons in CO are too short to wait around for a buddy. I enjoy doing things on my own terms, hike as far as I want to, where I want to, when I want to. The only times I crave a buddy are when I’m having tough luck finding anything and would like some advice other than my own awful thoughts that are in my head. It definitely teaches mental toughness that’s for sure, but I quite enjoy it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jimbob

WKR
Hunted stone sheep solo this year and loved it. Packed in for 11 days but came out early with a sheep. I loved every minute of it except right after the kill. It wasn't the work, I didn't mind that, it was the camaraderie and celebration of the kill. I would have done anything to have my Dad up there with me just to share that moment. It kinda felt like a let down when no one was there to celebrate with. Also though it was a beautiful moment.

Like mentioned above, being able to do what you want and hunt how and where you want is just awesome. Everything is on you. Go for it.

AustinL911

Lil-Rokslider
My only buddy who hunts died this past March. I had been trying to get him to go out West with me since I dove head first into it back in 2016. Unfortunately, he never got that chance. That being said, I'll probably always go solo, as that's what I've always done in the past. I'm a bit of a loner anyways, so it works well for me. There's something to be said about not hearing or saying a single spoken word for nearly 14 days.

Trial153

WKR
More often then not. I 15 year ago got tried of guys bailing out of me...same shit every year. All the cancellation excuses ....My wife, work ect ect ect. I decided that if I was going to bow hunt I would have go at it alone.

Brendan

WKR
All of you complaining about 1000 miles and 15 hours - try 2500 and 36 ish solo.... Wish i was doing it this year.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
very occasionally I'll hunt with someone else; I usually enjoy it; but no danger of making it a steady habit- most folks simply don't want to put in as much effort as I do- they are probably much smarter than I am :D

it is very nice though to have buddies who are willing to help pack meat out (which I'm glad to do too)

The last 10 years for me has been solo for the most part. I used to love hunting with my brother and father until I quit guiding. I always knew where some decent bucks and bulls were at, so when I could manage a few days off during the season we killed lots of animals. After I quit guiding, I realized that my brother and father had relied 100% on me for info and had no intention of finding game on their own. The next season was rough. I was working full time instead of hunting full time. Most of the areas I guided were put on draw, and my resources dried up. My dad and brother were thoroughly pissed at me and made their frustration very well known. I quietly planned to hunt without them the following year, and made good on that plan. I've only hunted with my dad once since (he harvested a bear), haven't hunted with my brother at all. They've begged numerous times to come with me, and I challenge them to scout their own animals. They refuse to do so, and have basically joined the road hunting atv masses due to lack of motivation. I have done very well solo and will probably never hunt with anyone, besides my children, again....ever. I will NEVER take a friend hunting unless it's to their spot, I've had my hard earned spots stampeded by people after taking loose-lipped friends once. Solo hunting is the best, most refreshing thing I do every year. I look forward to it from the moment I wake up every morning. I will never argue with anyone again about the best way to approach a basin, pack a bull, or stalk a buck. Having friends bail at the last minute for stupid ass reasons will never be a problem again, and I will never have to deal with trying to get a so-called tough guy to climb a ridge when he's acting more like a 5-year old girl. As for the safety thing, screw it. I have a waaaay better chance of being hurt or killed on the drive to the mountain than while on the mountain. I show my wife the area I'll be in on Google Earth and quit worrying. In a nutshell, life is far too short and precious to let your hunting seasons be at the mercy of someone else who's probably going to eventually let you down and screw you over anyway.

it is the 1000 mi drive that is the worst.

aint nuntin to the huntin.

How long does it take you to drive the 1000 miles? I haven’t done it yet but am also 2000 miles to get to Colorado since I live in NJ. I am guessing 4 days drive each way for me. So I would need to take 3 weeks off to have a proper hunt with a real chance of success and that’s just not a possibility.

How long does it take you to drive the 1000 miles? I haven’t done it yet but am also 2000 miles to get to Colorado since I live in NJ. I am guessing 4 days drive each way for me. So I would need to take 3 weeks off to have a proper hunt with a real chance of success and that’s just not a possibility.

2,000 miles usually takes me somewhere around 30hrs. That is two 15hr days, all things considered not so bad.

67bronco

FNG
Phone says 1 day and 5 hours to get to wy for me. Furthest ive done was 12 hours straight after working all day. Left sc at 5:30 pm and drove to AR and pulled straight up to hunt. I figured i could prob do it in a day and a half. Drive little over half way and sleep awhile. Going hunting always seems longet to me. Getting home usually flies by. If i had a partner going we would prob drive straight through. Glad i found this thread. Makes my plan of heading out there on my own sound not so crazy

AustinL911

Lil-Rokslider

I can do Columbus to Central Idaho in around 32h. 16h/day by myself. It mildly sucks, but it's completely doable. I wait all year for this time; I don't waste any more than I have to on driving.

MtnOyster

WKR
solo last year first time, loved it, my hunting partner didn't think i would go since he couldn't, packed my gear, put Duramax in drive and let her eat...……….going solo again this year 1350 miles one way, the drive kinda sucks until im half way across Kansas then I start getting fired up and enjoying the drive.

I often hunt solo and enjoy it. Its not only a more spiritual outdoor experience but a test in self sufficiency. Hunting with good buddies is also good for me . Just a different experience. Depends on what I'm looking for at the time.