How many hunt solo

Brendan

WKR
How long does it take you to drive the 1000 miles? I haven’t done it yet but am also 2000 miles to get to Colorado since I live in NJ. I am guessing 4 days drive each way for me. So I would need to take 3 weeks off to have a proper hunt with a real chance of success and that’s just not a possibility.

I can leave Boston Friday after work, and be hunting Sunday evening in Western MT and WY (Close to 2500 miles). That's solo, and staying in two hotels along the way for a good night's sleep.

Trial153

WKR
I can leave Boston Friday after work, and be hunting Sunday evening in Western MT and WY (Close to 2500 miles). That's solo, and staying in two hotels along the way for a good night's sleep.
That about my MO, two days of driving and hunting on the third morning. Sometimes I do it a day a half with few hours sleep in the truck.

FlyGuy

WKR
How long does it take you to drive the 1000 miles? I haven’t done it yet but am also 2000 miles to get to Colorado since I live in NJ. I am guessing 4 days drive each way for me. So I would need to take 3 weeks off to have a proper hunt with a real chance of success and that’s just not a possibility.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Then fly.

I'm hunting Idaho this year, coming from the gulf coast area (Houston, TX). It's like 30 hours driving with no stops, or a 6 hour flight including the layover in Denver for about $550 roundtrip. Made it a no brainer. That gives me 4-5 extra days of hunting and it's a lot safer than trying to drive back while completely exhausted. It makes things a little more complicated, Sure, but totally worth it. Have to pair down the gear list, but you don't need a truckload of gear for a backpack hunt anyway. I'm shipping a Platic storage box of gear to a UPS store to hold for me and i'll pick it up when I land. Renting a 4x4. If successful I'll ship all my gear home and fly with the frozen meat as checked luggage.

Sent from my SM-G610F using Tapatalk

rayporter

WKR
i used to drive 30 hrs straight from ohier. [back in th day] at 65 that changed.
now it all I can do to drive 13 hrs before a major break. now I have the luxury of a stop at the kids in okc. for an over night, before going on.

sam left ohio and got here 14 hours later and we gave him a few hours sleep and then drove the 20 hours to the hi country.

I usually tow horses and that requires more time and care that slow me down.. it is a moot point now- since I am not going.

a 5 hour trip here to hunt is like a walk around my yard. but the 14 hr trip to Ohio is getting to be a drag now. we are looking for a half way stop.

Solo about half the time, not always by design, but always plan and prepare as if solo every trip.

We read about it here over and over where a hunt is planned then somebody bails for some reason and then a guy/gal is stuck wondering what to do. I don't wonder at all. I plan for solo from day 1 and am glad when a buddy (properly vetted in other hunting occasions and the non-disclosure agreement signed) is able to come along. If I have enough notice, I invite somebody to fill the spot.

I learned a long time ago that waiting on somebody else is not something I am adept at. I understand life gets in the way sometimes. I just got tired of getting mad about it and letting it impact my plans.

My buddy this year has been changing his plans all summer as far as takeoff. The original plan was 7am Friday at the trailhead and that is what I am sticking with. I'm old and slow and need a bit of extra time to hike the hill at my pace. Simple solution- he has a map of where I will be camped the first night. Hope he makes it. He knows I'll have the HAM radio on for 10 minutes on the odd hours to monitor if he needs to get ahold of me whenever he decides to show up and hump the hill up to camp.

Decades ago I went with a "friend" for a 7 day pronghorn hunt, he killed opening morning then told me he was done and going home that afternoon. Problem was we were using his camper (at his insistence). Rookie mistake on my part - cost me a 1/2 day and $100 at the Gibson's (pre- Walmart days) to get enough crap gear to stay the rest of the trip but was a cheap lesson in the long run. Luckily I had my own rig there. Whether camping, backcountry, or day hunt: always have a Plan B, plan on being self-contained and self reliant.

Huntin_GI

WKR
Not to hijack the thread but does everyone running solo find it more or less rewarding than when hunting with friends?

K

Kootenay Hunter

Not to hijack the thread but does everyone running solo find it more or less rewarding than when hunting with friends?

Pros and cons, fun to think you did it all on your own (if successful) but you will have nobody to really share the story or experience with, nobody to reminisce with except yourself.

I like hunting and fishing alone, but to be honest, it's fun to have someone else there when you are successful to share in the moment....and to help packing out....I guess I want my game and eat it too.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"

The most rewarding was taking my daughter for ML on her first elk hunt last year, and calling in a fantastic bull that she shot. Also very rewarding is calling in bulls for someone else that isn't one of my daughters. But that also takes nothing away from working bulls solo and putting them down. For me the least rewarding would be having someone else calling for me. Just something about doing it all on your own.......one-on-one with the elk.

rgrx1276

Lil-Rokslider
Hunt solo here- headed to NM for rifle season and 3 weeks of camping. no worries about adjusting my schedule to fit someone else plans is the good thing, bad thing is no help with driving or packing so there are some tradeoffs.

unsuccessful

Lil-Rokslider
I really enjoy hunting solo. I haven't found anything more relaxing than walking around God's country looking for animals with zero obligations to another soul. I don't think it's for everyone. Some people just plum need other people to be happy. Some want company for security or in case of emergency. We are all wired a little different. You will want to make sure your woodsman skills are up to snuff... if you can't make a fire you may want to think twice. You may also reconsider if you frequently lose your car in the parking lot. Physically solo hunting more demanding for a couple of reasons. Obviously there is the pack out if you are successful. There is also the pack in. I tend to bring more stuff with me solo. There's no sharing a shelter or stove or water purification. I tend to bring a larger first aid kit, an inReach (regardless of anticipated cell reception), an extra this and a spare that. I wouldn't trade my solo hunts for much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ChrisS

WKR
I love hunting (and fishing) solo, but I very much prefer to have someone else in camp. Like posted upthread ... after about two days, I've had enough of being by myself. I'd never last the weekend on that show Alone.

The drive doesn't bother me; I'm fine with a few podcasts, XM, and some audiobooks. I did 18 hours the first day and 8 hours the 2nd last year. I usually feel a little out of sorts once I stop driving though.

Next year will probably be ID, but I'll have a couple of buddies who live there and I'll likely fly. They'll have vehicles, so I won't have to rent. I just can't stomach spending $500-$700 on a rental 4x4 to leave sitting at a trailhead for 7 days.

Crippledsledge64

Lil-Rokslider
I really enjoy hunting and fishing solo, sometimes having someone to walk out with or hunting nearby can be nice for safety concerns but other times its refreshing to have it just be yourself and nature. Sometimes its nice to get away from everyone else and not see another single soul. To not hear another person is both kinda chilling and somber but also rejuvenating.
Stuff like that makes me want to go back and be a pioneer but i'd probably end up reliving DiCaprio's grizzly scene.

Enjoyment of solo aside, it drives my wife crazy when I go out alone so an inreach or sat phone is probably going to be in the future budget.

7Bartman

WKR
For me it's a combo of the two. I mostly hunt solo, however I really enjoy sharing the camp with other hunters. I can pick how/where I hunt, but have some other folks to share the stories with over a hot meal at the end of the day. If someone gets an elk, everyone pitches in.

cbat

Lil-Rokslider
I miss it. My wife and I got together 8 years ago and she is a hunting machine. Our living room is full of big game mounts and over half are hers. There is no way she is staying behind and letting me go by myself. Prior to her I really enjoyed taking off and going when and where I wanted to go hunt. If I decided at the last minute to throw my stuff in the truck and head to Arizona or Utah or wherever you could grab a over the counter and go on an adventure I did it and enjoyed every minute of it. Don't get me wrong I am blessed to have the lord send me a hunting partner like my wife but I miss the solo adventures too.

tracker12

WKR
I hunted for years with a guy but to be honest we just traveled together. Once we hit camp I was on my own and prefer it that way. I drew a limited deer tag this year in CO and have a guy that is going to tag along. I'm curious to see how it works out. Good thing is I'm driving so I still have control over the hunt.

I used to hunt with a partner,finally got tired of footing the bill.Last time had a guy from work willing to "help" with my Az. Bull hunt.As soon as we got up top in the soupy fog he had a panick attack!Lasted 3 days.Drove him all the way back to Phx. and he was fine.Went back up by myself ,no bueno.!10yrs ago.Never hunted with anyone again,,Never will,maybe Alaska if you foot the billl:cool: