Yamaha TW200 out west

67bronco

FNG
Ive been wanting one of these bikes for a few years to tool around the state forest roads here where you cant legally ride dirtbikes but registered motorcycles are fine. Can you use bikes on BLM, state land in say Wyoming? Could throw it on a hitch haul on the back of the truck. Would be good in an emergency if truck got stuck or broke down to get you to town too id think. Just a thought. Anyone have or use one?

rgrx1276

Lil-Rokslider
Have had thoughts about the same MC, low to the ground, quiet and not real heavy. perfect for the situations you've outlined. AFAIK, if it's legal to drive your truck on BLM, it's legal with your pick of MC.

Matt W.

Super Moderator
Staff member
I've also debated one of the TW200s. I live close enough to work I think it would make for a fun commuter and pull double duty for exploring in the Summer and Fall.

Post #7 in the below link is pretty informative about WA state usage... I'm sure each state has it's share of rules and regulations.....
Washington State Tdubers

I rode a Yamaha TW200 (or was it a TW230?) in NV that a guy I met hunting deer owned back in the mid 90's. Thought it was super squirrelly. I wasn't impressed. Used to ride a Honda TL250 trials bike (210#s) back in the day in the CO high country as well as antelope and bear hunting. They handled much better than the TW200 IMO. Seems the wide tires made them squirm more. I packed out a bighorn, mule deer and antelope on trials bike. All in all a small ATV is more practical for a hunter, but as you say, much harder to haul around than a bike.

The stock front tire is called the deathwing for a reason. I swapped out for a kenda 760 i think up front and she tracks like a champ now. Saddle bags and a tool tube or two and you are set for some long term/distance adventures.

Matt W.

Super Moderator
Staff member
The stock front tire is called the deathwing for a reason. I swapped out for a kenda 760 i think up front and she tracks like a champ now. Saddle bags and a tool tube or two and you are set for some long term/distance adventures.
Yeah, if you spend some time reading up on the bike, the first mod always suggested is replacing the front tire! : ) Got any good pics of your bike in action? : ) What year is yours?

Wapiti1

WKR
I grew up riding dirt bikes, and the fat tire bikes always felt weird to me. I take my old Honda XR350R out if I go to a place that has open trails/roads for bikes. Can get you into some great spots. Will annoy the heck out of the horseback crowd. Most fun I've had is antelope hunting off of dirt bikes, but slime your tires for cactus thorns.

If you really want to go anywhere, get a Rokon.

Make sure you have the motor vehicle plan for the area you are in. BLM can be different from Forest Service which can be different from state land. Lots of trails close in August, some in Sept, some Oct. Roads as well. Don't be that guy that rides past hunters walking in on a seasonally closed road.

Jeremy

Yeah, if you spend some time reading up on the bike, the first mod always suggested is replacing the front tire! : ) Got any good pics of your bike in action? : ) What year is yours?

I do, just never posted a pic since photobucket decided its business plan was F-the world. Prob time i move on and learn what i need to do on here. Mine is a 2013. Have done most all the little mods with the exception of the kickstarter and trailer wheel mod. Bought the stuff to make my ebike so the TW has kinda been getting neglected this year.

muddydogs

WKR
The TW is low to the ground and tends to hit every rock and stump in the trail. There a little underpowered so if your a bigger guy or plan to carry some weight they tend to power out on steep hills. The TW is a small bike with a low seat so taller guys have trouble riding them since there knees are up around there chin and when standing there hunched over while reaching the handle bars. Better plan would be to go with more of a street legal trail bike and not the TW.

tracker12

WKR
I had one for years. Also had the hitch mount. Great ride and worked out well. Use to rage it in the back country of ca and Idaho. I used it exclusively for hunting but tooled around town many timed