Flown there once. Been close to there twice. Smoke jumper buddies over in Grants Pass and other friends in Bend. Fishing I would rate at world class if you have a spey rod or want to learn. I floated the rogue several times and waded the Applegate. Advice = learn to Spey fish, it’s fun.

Salmon flies on the Deschutes are not too far and very much worth the drive. Advice = learn to tie salmon flies.

As per hunting, I’m sure someone else will chime in.

You will be able to archery hunt for Rosie's close to home for a month straight. In Oregon you need to choose either archery or rifle for the year, you don't get both. Nice blacktail deer hunting close to Medford as well. The fishing is great, you will have lots of options there.

Oregon

WKR
You’re definitely going to miss MT.
I’ve only fished down that way and turkey hunted. Both fantastic.
Poison oak in that area is insane. I go through Medford on I-5 and roll the windows up so I don’t catch it.

wncbrewer

Lil-Rokslider
I lived in Oregon for 6 years and have a love hate relationship with the west side. The brush and rain can be obnoxious and frustrating. It’s tough to get away from roads because of all the logging that (at one time) went on. That said a fired up Rosie bull is something else. Blacktail hunting is great and something I will always miss about Oregon, the late archery season is awesome. I did very little rifle hunting there because the general seasons are so short, I’m simply not good enough to get it done in that amount of time without some luck. As others have said the fishing is great and something I wish I’d done more of while I was there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shadow14

WKR
I have only been here a little over a year and I am in Central Oregon, but the fishing is phenomenal for trout and steelhead. Upland bird hunting I have found to be good along with turkeys. This is my first year hunting big game here so I dont have much imput there. If you ever wanna catch some big trout shoot me a PM and I can send you to come good places around here.

Neverenoughhntn

Lil-Rokslider
Oregon is managed for opportunity, not necessarily quality. You can archery hunt MOST of the state for elk and deer OTC for a month straight... if you don’t tag out on a buck during the regular archery season, there are several units that you can then go chase rutting black tails with your bow for a couple more weeks. Hunting the west side is a love/hate relationship. Several times I’ve been within 10 yds, and there’s too much brush to slip an arrow through.

If you’re not much of an archery hunter, don’t overlook the OTC rifle deer tag (“black tail” hunt, basically everything west of the cascades.) it’s another long season, that you can usually get into some pre-rut activity during the last week. The Medford area is known more for its black tails than its elk. ... another thing to be aware of... most of the public land on the west side has REALLY LOW game densities, as it is typically mature second growth forest, which doesn’t support high game densities.... a lot of the timber companies on the west side are now charging fee for access, and they typically only allow a certain number in f permits... timber company lands are also much more prone to prohibiting access due to fire danger through September.
Take advantage of the opportunities. A lot of guys gripe that we don’t produce the quality of bucks and bulls like Utah, etc... but we also don’t have a 5 year waiting period after we draw before we can hunt again
.... antelope tags take several years to draw in this state.
As mentioned, the fishing is pretty good!

Wski22

FNG
I just accepted a permanent position in the Medford area. Wouldn’t mind some advice from local’s general thoughts about the area’s hunting and fishing opportunities.

Coming from MT I’m used to chasing elk, mule deer, and pronghorn yearly. Also do quite a bit of fly fishing.

Looks like there is opportunity for OTC archery tags deer/elk and good salmon/steelhead fishing? Possibly turkeys and upland birds too?

Seems to be poor success on the general Rosie rifle tag and 6 days seems like quite the pinch. I archery hunt also so that opens doors.

Also if you were to hunt OTC for elk/deer in a neighboring state, would you go WA or ID?

I currently have a MT elk, deer, and 2 Pronghorn tags. I don’t think I’ll chase elk in OR this year due to the NR prices, but should I focus efforts on chinook and steelhead? Grouse and quail?

Appreciate any info!

Any advice now that you have been in Oregon for 2 years on where to go. I'm going to be moving to the state and plan to do otc elk. I'll probably stick mainly with bow but this year plan to do public land rifle. Really just hoping to fill the freezer so I'm interested in units that are better than average success rates. Because I'm going to be new to the state I don't have a clue where to begin.

dutch_henry

Lil-Rokslider
Congrats on the move. Wonderful steelhead and salmon fishing in your area. The half-pounder run on the Rogue is an absolute hoot, as is chasing blacktails in canyons full of old growth doug firs.

No doubt you'll miss your home range. The Siskiyous are pretty magical though. Once you learn to hunt them, that terrain--combined with your existing knowledge of Rockies/montane forest/grassland--will basically make you an apex hunter we'll all be jealous of,

Wski22

FNG
I have been stationed at JBLM near Seattle for the last two years but will be moving near or around Portland. It will be rough getting scouting opportunities or getting a good starting point to work with this year. I've hunted black tail, white tail and mule deer but never elk, and never in Oregon. But yeah, freezer filling mission is my main goal at least until I get better situated and familiarized with the state.

i count eye guards

Lil-Rokslider
I'll keep it short, Medford is a great spot to be for hunting in Oregon. Great local Roosevelt, black bear, and blacktail. Only a few hours from mule deer, antelope and Rockies.

bloom1gr

FNG
Also moving to the Medford area this year - moving from Kentucky but grew up hunting in Michigan. Hoping to learn more about the western-style of big game hunting as my hunting experience is mostly limited to whitetails from a ground blind.

I've been following along a number of different outifts between Netflix, Prime, Youtube - Meateater, Solo Hntr, Elk101, etc. to try and get a sense for tactics, scouting, what to expect, but I've found most of them focus on all the neighboring states like CO, MT, UT, ID while mosty skipping over OR. Is there much of the backcountry camping/hunting happening there?

From the research I've done it seems like the better elk hunting is either north along the coast or in the northeast corner near the state line? And from reading this thread there isn't much for mule deer as far west as Medford, but mostly blacktail?

Thanks for any help and insight y'all can offer.