Need to learn to Call

Luked

WKR
ok so with planning a trip out west for Elk I want to learn to call. bugels and cow calls.
what are some calls that are easy to use.
I will say I am not good on a diaphragm call for turkey but don't know how much difference there is in the two as far as calling goes.
and also what cow calls would you all suggest also
and some good videos to check out to learn would help also

KSP277

WKR
One time when I was about 13-14 me and a buddy decided we were going duck hunting in the morning. Talked my mom into taking us to the Walmart where I purchased a Buck Gardner duck call with instructional cassette.

Popped it in the tape player when I got home and the first thing Buck Gardner said was “You are not gonna learn to blow a duck call over night.” I decided I didn’t need that kinda negativity in my life and Threw the cassette in the trash. And duck hunting we went.....And came home with no ducks.

Really not a moral to this story or even anything remotely helpful to what your asking. But it reminded me of that.

Primos and Rocky Jacobs have some good how to videos on the youtubes

Brett8133

Lil-Rokslider
ElkNut check his products out on line and down load the app to your smart phone it’s 5$

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gelton

WKR
I consider myself an above average turkey, duck, geese and predator caller, but elk calling took a bit of a learning curve for me. Not sure why.

Cow sounds were fairly easy and after about four years I would say I have mastered cow calling. Bugling is a different story though and this is the first year I would consider myself a proficient bugler.

For diaphragms the Mellow Yellow was the easiest for me to use for cow calls. For bugling the black call from born and raised sounds best to me. However elk calls are like boots - everyone's feet, and mouth are different.

For reed calls Carlton's Fighting Cow sounds great and the one from Phelps - temptress I think sound good as well.

So if you don't plan on bugling and are pressed for time to learn then I would pick up a reed call instead. Much faster learning to blow a reed than a diaphragm.

WJS23

WKR
Start practicing when you are driving the first time I drove out to Colorado I was by my self, after 26 hours in the truck I started to sound like an elk

Beendare

WKR
Calling is great...but a guy is best served understanding elk behavior....it makes your calling more effective.

Every year I hear guys in the woods blowing on cow calls non stop....or bugling every 100yds up a trail...many guys giving away the fact that they are hunters....don't be one of those guys.

My advice, 'less is more' when calling. Utilizing calling in conjunction with good hunitng skills is key....but then I'm not selling calling systems either. /grin

tracker12

WKR
Berry bugle call is about as easy as it gets for a bull call. His online instruction is great. Cow calls lots out there