Joe Rogan podcast: CWD

slick

WKR
So how long does it take to get the animal tested. And do you just put the meat in your freezer until you have an answer?

SD GFP sends samples off to a lab and usually gets results back within a week. I’d hang onto the meat until I did or did not get the call.

LostArra

WKR
So how long does it take to get the animal tested. And do you just put the meat in your freezer until you have an answer?

and how adept is everyone (except dr.mooseknuckles) at removing the retropharyngeal lymph nodes for testing instead of a salivary gland?

Murdy

WKR
and how adept is everyone (except dr.mooseknuckles) at removing the retropharyngeal lymph nodes for testing instead of a salivary gland?

During our major gun seasons, we have to bring the animal in to a check station and let the pros remove it. During certain other seasons, in certain counties (possibly just on public land), you have to remove the head (this might be optional testing, not sure), put it in a plastic bag, and leave it in a barrel at a unmanned check station.

While I've seen it done a number of times, I wouldn't be totally confident doing it properly myself.

Aculous

FNG
I see the testing being done for whitetail and mule deer but nothing for Elk. And I keep reading or seeing conflicting info. But in Colorado for example CWD was found in a elk herd (in a test facility) if I am not mistaken...so my guess is the only reason its not being tested is budgetary. (but thats an assumption)

So my question is there a way to have it tested? My guess is that its expensive but I haven't been able to talk to CO parks and wildlife to get an idea if they will do it...the last time I asked they said "its not required for elk" which ok...but I would like to know before I eat certain things. I talked to my cousin who works as a lab manager at Swedish Hospital in Denver doing medical research and essentially said to stay away from spine/brain/liver/panceras and marrow. So thats the plan so far, Bone marrow was one thing I was going to cook but I dont think I will risk it. My guess is that those are the places the prions reside?

(on a completely unrelated note, I very seriously read Dr. mooseknuckles post...then looked at the username...and had some doubts about trusting this mans information 95%. Either way its awesome)

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Ted say that the passing of CWD from deer to people was a hoax? Regardless, I spent an extended period of time in England in the 1988 - 1990 time frame, which is when they had their mad cow disease outbreak, and I am not allowed to donate blood because of that.

cnelk

WKR
Maybe these guys should talk to CSU - Colorado State University - where CWD originated decades ago in their deer pens.
They would be the authority.

About 15 yrs ago, the DOW [now CPW] slaughtered, I mean absolutely slaughtered thousands of MD along the Front range in hopes to rid/slow the CWD. Only now we are seeing the deer numbers come back

I think they regret that decision

Bulldawg

WKR
He said a lot of things, but he also claimed that CWD doesn’t kill deer, and it is something we shouldn’t be worried about and it was fake news.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Ted say that the passing of CWD from deer to people was a hoax? Regardless, I spent an extended period of time in England in the 1988 - 1990 time frame, which is when they had their mad cow disease outbreak, and I am not allowed to donate blood because of that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I listened to Rohan and the meateater. Makes me want to give up on neck roasts and cutting the spine for sure.

They mentioned that it can concentrate in lymph nodes and certain organs also. Which ones? Are hearts and livers on that list of problem tissue?

He said a lot of things, but he also claimed that CWD doesn’t kill deer, and it is something we shouldn’t be worried about and it was fake news.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Have you or anyone else got a link to him saying that? Be nice to actually hear it from the guy. He is what he is and, regardless of what you or I think about him personally, he is extremely intelligent. It's hard for me to believe he is that dumb. And, after hearing Rogan repeatedly bash people he is half informed on, his opinion or description of anyone doesn't mean a whole lot anymore.

Bulldawg

WKR
You could go and listen to Joe's podcast with Ted, he said it on there, probably close to the end of the podcast.

Have you or anyone else got a link to him saying that? Be nice to actually hear it from the guy. He is what he is and, regardless of what you or I think about him personally, he is extremely intelligent. It's hard for me to believe he is that dumb. And, after hearing Rogan repeatedly bash people he is half informed on, his opinion or description of anyone doesn't mean a whole lot anymore.

If it is any different then what he wrote himself here then, maybe he is that dumb. But, I won't listen to Joe Rogan anymore. So, I'll stick with this explanation. Thank you for providing where I could find it though. God Bless men

Have any of you guys been effected by CWD, or do you believe it's not that big of a deal?

I don't listen to podcasts but I will answer this question from my experience. A while back CWD was found WI, in my backyard so to speak. The DNR waged an all out war on deer to combat it. My family and friends were in the middle of the "CWD Zone". It was a trip. We could kill as many deer as we wanted. For every doe you killed you could kill a buck. You could get, I think it was 6 doe tags a day if I remember right. I will never forget it. This went on for years. The amazing thing is the hunting was great through all of it. Anyway, I never saw any adverse effects. The hunting was good, people filled their freezers, and fun was had by most. It makes me feel that it was not that big of a deal.

Now, this was in WI in prime whitehall habitat. Whitetails are resilient. I do not believe mule deer would fair as well.

mproberts

WKR
A few tidbits from Uncle Ted on Rogan's podcast..

"CWD is not spreading" This is pretty irrefutable that it has spread over the last 40 years, and even more irrefutable if you believe the origin that Ted was stating ie. "Bureaucrats in the CO DOW being assholes" created it in a captive deer herd. Not sure how you can believe it was created in CO decades ago but hasn't spread?

"CWD can not cross species" Then goes on to admit monkeys got it in testing

"monkeys got it only by injecting massive quantities of CWD into the brain" This is not correct and the study is actually an easy read... but it showed that CWD was transmitted to monkeys*that were fed infected meat (muscle tissue) or brain tissue from CWD-infected deer and elk. Transmission | Chronic Wasting Disease (CWD) | Prion Disease | CDC

"CWD is not always fatal"
hard to 100% disprove a negative, but I would trust the CDC on this one

"CWD is a lie" I mean I get hyperbole, but it seems like a real thing.. ha

On a separate issue he takes great offense to not being able to eat Sandhill crane in MI and Mountain lions in CA killed under nuisance/depredation permits, and says there's no reason for it. I get the anger, but I think most people realize the reason is that we are held accountable for the lowest common denominator in society and if you could eat/keep them you would have people killing them claiming it was for nuisance/depredation reasons when the overriding motivation was actually meat/trophy. This reasoning is in place for numerous species in numerous places, and there are commonsense laws that do their best to get around this... like allowing people to keep roadkill if verified it isn't poached. In my home state you are allowed to keep nuisance/depredation/roadkill bears only after GWs have removed the paws, gallbladder and anything else that is basically of value on the crazy Chinese black market. Like I get Uncle Ted being upset for it but using that as justification to not trust or believe anything DNR says is a bit much.

Last edited:
Ted Nugents name doesn’t deserve to be even mentioned on a site like this...
He is an intelligent, loud mouth fool, and most certainly does not represent hunters well.

Huntnfmly

Lil-Rokslider
I couldn't disagree more about uncle Ted he has camps for disabled and sick kids and is a great advocate for hunting ,military and the 2a.
He may be loud and in your face but sometimes that's exactly what we need as hunters.

Trial153

WKR
Ted Nuggent acts like a buffoon. The best thing he can do for hunting is stay locked up in his pen a shoot his farm animals.

slick

WKR
Sure he provides kids a means to hunt.

But his stance on CWD is completely idiotic, no other way around it. It’s pure stupidity.

What about his illegal bear hunt in AK? Is that what hunters need?

What about his deer violations in CA? Is that what hunters need?

Banned from hunting in Kansas for a couple years?

Then makes excuses that “the regulations and laws are so profoundly confusing”

Hunting could do without him.

Edit:
On another note. I’ve listened to Joe Rogan’s podcasts on several topics over the last couple years, and I’m done with him too.

mproberts

WKR
Ted Nugents name doesn’t deserve to be even mentioned on a site like this...
He is an intelligent, loud mouth fool, and most certainly does not represent hunters well.

I had to laugh at a discussion Uncle Ted and Sarah Palin had on an episode of Spirit of the Wild.. Totally bashing the FDA, USDA, BLM, every state game agency.. it was just hilarious. They were like the people know best, who needs the state telling you how to manage wildlife, the people could do it better! All I could think about was how the American Bison was managed by the people. I just kept rolling my eyes.

Now that Razor Dobbs... there's a guy that's got it all figured out!! :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: