Joe Rogan podcast: CWD

Hopefully this hasn't been posted yet. But did any of y'all listen to Joe's recent podcast with Doug Duren and Bryan Richards about Chronic wasting disease? Was plenty of jabs at Ted Nugent who said that CWD was a hoax. These guys were making a huge deal out of CWD, but I've never heard of anyone having issues with the disease. I wasn't super impressed with their presentation, but I have yet to seen any deer affected with the disease. Have any of you guys been effected by CWD, or do you believe it's not that big of a deal?

CX5Ranch

WKR
We have it in MO. The conservation department was going to fly a 6 county radius and shoot every deer in the area. Folks went into rodeo mode and that never happened.

Every year we have to take deer in to have them tested. If your county gets drawn for the tests it is mandatory to take it to a check station.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Agross

WKR
Haven't listened to it , but it is an issue around me. I am in one of several counties here in Michigan affected. They are banning baiting, feeding, and I believe any urine type attractants. They are upping the number of doe tags and I believe allowing other weapons during certain seasons( can use a shotgun during muzzleloader season).
The number of deer I have seen has gone down for about the last ten years. And not because of cwd, but more the fact that u can deer hunt from September to January 1st. And now with these cases of cwd, they are trying to get people to shoot more deer yet.
I have personally only ever seen one deer that was sick.

KSP277

WKR
There aren't any confirmed CWD cases in Kentucky, but we've been hit pretty hard in scattered areas over the last 10-12 years with EHD or Bluetounge. Maybe before that, I'm really not sure. That was the first time I had seen it and don't know much about it prior to that. But thankfully no CWD.

I'm talking in a whitetail perspective. I don't think Elk are susceptible to EHD, but don't quote me on that.

bdoug93

FNG
Not well read on what Nugent says, but is there really any evidence on it being a hoax? It’s a testable, identifiable disease, that is lowering our deer populations. Maybe I have bought into the conspiracy though ;)

Luked

WKR
its been found in MO here as stated above. they haven't yet(if I'm not mistaken) "banned" mineral type sites but the conservation is highly suggesting that hunters not put in any Mineral or salt lick type sites that congregate the whitetail in a small area as the close interaction in an area like that is what they say spreads the disease.
the first year they had the testing we had quite a few deer out of our family of hunters that had to have the test done my now wife being one of them. was interesting to talk to the guys doing the testing. they gave us a code that we could go to a website to get the results on the deer we had tested. it was really pretty well ran here in our area and not a huge mess by any means like most thought it was going to be

LostArra

WKR
Better testing methods are needed. The logistics of testing for a non-resident hunter is pretty baffling. Read the regs from Wyoming regarding CWD and moving meat or head. You need to add a day or two to get your animal tested and then you drive home with meat that could test positive. So then you have to dump it somewhere in your state or maybe burn it. I don't know.

Phil4

Lil-Rokslider
I talked at length with the biologist at the check station where I had my deer tested this year in IL. He said they incinerate the ones that test positive and can still find the prions after incineration. I’ll get
My deer tested when it’s convenient and won’t when it’s not. Chances are low that the deer has it in my area and lower yet it will make the jump to humans.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

we have a few counties in virginia and west virginia that are now considered containment areas and you can't transport deer in and out of them. last study i read said they didn't find any cases in VA but they very recently have in neighboring counties in WV. Virginia banned the use of natural deer urine last year sighting that the prions could be transported that way but you wouldn't know it if you went into a walmart. EHD on the other hand is much more common. one of the large farms I have permission to hunt on got wiped out about 5 years ago and is just starting to recover.

As a veterinarian, I’ll weigh in on this. As most of you may know, CWD is a prion disease (proteinacious ion). Mad Cow disease (Bovine Spongiform Encephalopathy-BSE) is a prion disease. In humans, Kuru and Creutzfeld-Jakob are both prion diseases.

CJ can take years to manifest in people, as much as 20 years after initial contact, and if I remember correctly, and can be transplacental. BSE can lead to CJ.

The big concern is whether or not CWD can be zoonotic (transfer to people) and lead to CJ- like issues. From a time frame standpoint, we just don’t know. I think that is part of the major concern. Also, we know that it is fatal to cervids infected, and is basically an indestructible infectious disease.

Don’t take the human illness part of my input to the bank. 95% sure its correct. Animal side and zoonosis is accurate.

Real tricky situation with all sorts of aspects that are concerning. From public health standpoint to wildlife conservation.

While I love Uncle Ted, he definitely will skew data to his own purposes, much like all politicians

I listened and take what they're saying seriously. I'm not afraid of dying from it but I am concerned what this means for the future of deer hunting. The stigma alone could be damaging to the fair weather hunters who hears something on the radio and doesn't want to take the risk.

It is not a hoax and has been detected in 25 states and climbing. It was detected last year on a game farm in my country in PA. It is 100% fatal in deer and isn't ruled out as being transferable to people. The most distressing thing I heard is that it can survive on the landscape for years without a "host" and be passed via plants. If that doesn't get your attention I don't know what will. The fact that is Isn't in your state doesn't mean it won't spread. look how much it has spread in the past 10 years.

With that said, there is a ton of really scary stuff out there waiting to take us down so I'll try and keep it all in perspective.

Ted Nugent is doing a disservice to the hunting community by shrugging it off. Perhaps he has it and it's burned a few holes in his brain which has hurt his critical thinking skills?

No CWD in Georgia yet- though it is next door. In the face of that, and recurrent EHD outbreaks the state recently expanded its baiting refs to allow for baiting statewide. Good for the CWD, good for EHD, good for the hogs. Not so good for the deer. Not much of a worry though as our Managment strategy is to
Kill half of them or more a year.

All these losers who are too lazy or incompetent to set up on an active game trail and rely on training wild animals with bait for success are setting us up for a big fall.

Ive handled all my cervids from
Whittails to elk and moose as though possibly infected since the late 90s. Gutless, without any spinal column cuts and the antlers plate or head comes off last and is kept isolated from the bagged meat. I don’t sweat it. I doubt I’ll be the first case of human CWD

CWD is not a hoax and certainly not something to be taken lightly. It will continue to have a much bigger impact on our wildlife than we care to admit. One situation that will occur As droughts become more prominent and wildlife are forced to use more congested watering holes it will become a bigger issue, which is also why baited areas have an effect. Our deer are going to take a hit. And really right now all that we can do is try and contain it to known areas.

bz_711

WKR
Are there any cases in which a human is believed to be infected via another animal?
Has it always been present and just now more easily tested/tracked?

I don't know enough to have a great opinion on it...but sure have never had any fear of it even though both my deer and elk herd have tested positive...I'm sure as heck not going to start eating tofu...maybe I'll just stay clear of spinal and brain fluids the best I can...

Are there any cases in which a human is believed to be infected via another animal?
Has it always been present and just now more easily tested/tracked?

I don't know enough to have a great opinion on it...but sure have never had any fear of it even though both my deer and elk herd have tested positive...I'm sure as heck not going to start eating tofu...maybe I'll just stay clear of spinal and brain fluids the best I can...

No cases that we know of. The Prion diseases that we know of take years for manifestation of clinical illness, i.e. Creutzfeld-Jakob disease

Actually, to correct myself after looking at the CDC website, Variant Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease is the type of neurodegenerative disorder that occurs secondary to Mad Cow disease in People. The Classic CJD is not related to ingestion of Mad Cow infected meat.

Translate that back to the CWD discussion, and that answer is that we don't know if it can cause issues in people because the disease has only been identified within the last 20 years.

Hope that helps. Check out the CDC website for more detailed, scientific information. Sometimes listening to Talking Heads flap their gums, distorts facts... DUH. Fake News indeed.

slick

WKR
I believe the CDC came out a couple years ago warning it’s not advisable to consume CWD positive animals after they had successfully passed it on to primates in captivity through meat consumption.

OP
Dexter Grayson
So how long does it take to get the animal tested. And do you just put the meat in your freezer until you have an answer?