Mountain House

Where is the best place to purchase freeze dried food? Costco has Mnt House. REI has Good to Go meals. What are your favorite and where do you purchase?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bdoug93

FNG
Amazon has some bulk deals on mountain house as well. Idk how the prices compare to Costco, but they seem pretty cheap. The best bulk deals on amazon are only one flavor though.

matthewmt

WKR
Costco in my neck has a 13 meal box for 59$ I believe, 4+$ a piece.

3 beef stroganoff
3 chili Mac
3 rice and chicken
2 biscuits and gravy
2 breakfast skillets

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'll add that you should make sure it's a 2.5 serving package when you buy them.... Walmart also carries Mountain House and I was in a hurry grabbing some things to make a few days worth of meals to find out they were all 1 serving packages and not enough for the climbing we were doing! Just a heads up!

Trial153

WKR
I like the chilliemac to counter act all the nut and grain bars ......otherwise I stay clear.

Wife got me a dehydrator for last Xmas. I’ve been kicking around the idea of making my own. I’ve found a few recipes online. Just a thought.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

semperfidelis97

Lil-Rokslider
We buy ours off of Amazon in the #10 cans then just put them in freezer bags. I can get about 6-7 large meals out of a can. My wife can get about 10 since she doesn't have the caloric needs I do. The trash is very minimal, and takes up less space than the more rigid pre-packaged meals. We do the same thing with instant mash potatoes, and oatmeal they are cheap as well as really filling.

303TrophyHusband

Lil-Rokslider
Wise foods has a decent selection for decent prices and I think you can pay with your Amazon account.

rklein

Lil-Rokslider
I get most of my Mountain House meals from Amazon, I watch the price throughout the year and periodically they'll go down and then I buy several of the meals I like. As mentioned by a user above, Sierra Trading Post has good prices as well, but they don't have all the flavor choices.

Apollo117

WKR
Heads up to those of you buying from Amazon. Check out a browser extension called CamelCamelCamel. You can schedule it to email you when the items you want to buy reach a certain price or drop in price. Weird name, great utility.

Crippledsledge64

Lil-Rokslider
I found some great deals on Amazon since we don't have a costco membership and that extension Apollo mentioned sounds like tool. Biscuits and gravy were my favorite.

WoolyBugger

Lil-Rokslider
I buy them from a small local store around me that has the cheapest prices I've found. But I am getting into making my own stuff more and more

matthewmt

WKR
Costco in my neck has a 13 meal box for 59$ I believe, 4+$ a piece.

3 beef stroganoff
3 chili Mac
3 rice and chicken
2 biscuits and gravy
2 breakfast skillets

Costco box is all 2-3 servings FYI

netman

WKR
If anyone here does business with Whitaker’s Gun shop in Kentucky they have/had a large amount of Wise meals 2 serving packs for $6.
I bought several a couple weeks ago while there.

Burnsie

Lil-Rokslider
Backpacking Food, Camping Food & Freeze Dried Food | LDP Camping Foods
Take a look at LDP Camping Foods, I've bought quite a bit from them. Best value is the #10 cans. I break them down
and vacuum pack them in portions that best suit me. Usually somewhere between a single serving pouch and the
larger ones that say they are 2.5 servings.
When I vacuum pack them down, I reduce the amount of space needed for my weeks food about in half, since I don't
have a separate foil bag for every meal.

MIC

FNG
I'm going to give Next Mile a try, just placed my order this morning. I cant stand any of the Mountain House breakfasts but i usually go with beef stroganoff or chicken teriyaki.