MT Bonus / Pref points not available to those who Applied in Draw

In applying for Elk and Deer licenses this year in MT i must have not elected to pay the additional fee for bonus points thinking I could purchase them this summer if needed. I didn't draw the limited entry units applied for but got a NR General Elk/Deer combo.

Now that it's time to purchase a bonus point and preference point I am finding that you can not buy these if you also applied in the tag drawings. This is contrary to what the latest GoHunt article on MT points system indicated so I wanted to share it so others don't have the same issue.

Also, if there is any way around this to still buy a bonus point and/or pref point, I'm all ears!

johnsd16

WKR
If you put in for LE tags and didn’t draw them then you got BP for those species. If you drew your general tag, then you used your PP and can’t buy one for next years draw.

trail@goHunt

Lil-Rokslider
@ wind gypsy
Sorry that you weren't able to obtain points and thanks for the feedback, but in reading and re-reading the attached article I'm not seeing exactly where the confusion was. The second paragraph states "individuals who missed the deadline to apply or did not apply for bonus points at the time of application, may purchase bonus points" indicating that if you missed the application period you can still buy points. I don't read anywhere that states if you applied in the regular draw that you could still buy points. It also states "This new system doesn't allow an additional opportunity to gain two bonus points in the same year because you cannot apply for and purchase bonus points in the same year". Sorry again if you feel that there was some confusion, we certainly apologize and will try to be more specific in future articles. Let me know if you have any follow up questions, all the best!

204guy

WKR
Kinda in a similar situation. I usually apply for the big game combo, collect a bonus point for each. This year knowing time constraints I only did the deer combo, and got a deer bonus point. I now cannot buy an elk bonus point or a preference point. I'm pretty confident that I was reading on here last year that guys were purchasing a preference point after drawing a combo license? My wife who didn't apply for anything can purchase an elk and a deer bonus point as well a preference point. Makes no sense. But the bonus points are almost meaningless anyway so not to worried about it.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
I also thought I would be able to buy a deer point because I only applied for and drew the elk combo. What a cluster

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Trial153

WKR
Montana sucks. I am sorry their system is freaking horrible. Absolutely horrendous.
I have never in my life seen anything so overly complicated and unnecessary.

OP
wind gypsy
If you put in for LE tags and didn’t draw them then you got BP for those species. If you drew your general tag, then you used your PP and can’t buy one for next years draw.

I believe at the time of application you have to pay extra for the bonus point. I must have chose to not pay the extra fee for some dumb reason thinking I could buy points after the fact.

It seems the elk/deer combo vs just elk or deer combo tags further complicates this. As much as I like pulling Elk/Deer combo tags it seems they just make the system more complicated. I'm not sure I'd pay for a full price NR deer tag on top of an elk tag if they stopped doing them though.

OP
wind gypsy
Kinda in a similar situation. I usually apply for the big game combo, collect a bonus point for each. This year knowing time constraints I only did the deer combo, and got a deer bonus point. I now cannot buy an elk bonus point or a preference point. I'm pretty confident that I was reading on here last year that guys were purchasing a preference point after drawing a combo license? My wife who didn't apply for anything can purchase an elk and a deer bonus point as well a preference point. Makes no sense. But the bonus points are almost meaningless anyway so not to worried about it.

Brady Miller commented on the GoHunt article about being able to buy a deer preference point while holding a deer tag last year. Maybe they changed it this year?

While the points are less important in MT, I've screwed the pooch bad on earning easy points there so I'm frustrated with myself. This is the 4th year in a row with an Elk or Deer/elk combo tag yet I only have 1 Elk bonus point because of complacency with MT apps.

Riplip

WKR
Basically since you drew a general tag, you cannot gain a preference point in the same year. In addition if you did not check the box to purchase a bonus point when you selected your limited entry choice you did not get a bonus point. Montana did change the system this year so that one did not have to submit an application to gain a bonus/preference point, you could simply purchase the points between July 1st - Sep 30th (provided you did not submit an application earlier in the year).

This link should help.
Montana Fish, Wildlife & Parks :: Montana Bonus Points System

Whisky

WKR
I also thought I would be able to buy a deer point because I only applied for and drew the elk combo. What a cluster

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Same here. I bought a general deer and was going to buy an elk bonus point later on. Now I can't.

AT Hiker

FNG
I applied and drew a deer combo. I also recently purchased Deer, Elk and Antelope bonus points.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk