Final Hunt Ideas for Wheelchair Bound Hunter

bigdesert10

Lil-Rokslider
My cousin is in very advanced stages of ALS, to the point where he is wheelchair bound, unable to speak or move, and is essentially on life support, but is fully aware and conscious.

Prior to his diagnosis, he was an avid hunter in a family of other avid hunters.

He is planning on turning off his life support soon (within the next year or so), but would like to go on a hunt one last time. His brother has been trying to figure out an option and is willing to spend a little money on it. This would have to be a very accommodating hunt - basically drive close to a blind of some sort and be carried or wheeled a short distance. Also, the hunt would need to be within a 4-hour drive from Boise.

I realize, this being a DIY public land centric forum, ideas might few and far between, but does anyone have any ideas for any big game species hunt or an outfitter with very accessible private land within 4 hours of Boise that might fit the bill? I realize it's a tall order and may be altogether impossible.

N2TRKYS

WKR
I don't know if they have anything in your area, but Buckmasters has disabled hunts in several State. They have a website with contact info. Maybe they know of someone in your area. I volunteer as a paramedic at one of them in Alabama(the Buckmasters Life Hunt Classic). Handicapped, terminally ill children, and wounded servicemen/women hunt at this one.

If you have problems finding the contact info, send me a pm.

I'd do a general season hunt in the Lemhi or Pioneer zones. They have greenfield hunts that require shooting an elk within a mile of private fields, shot on the public ground usually. There are pretty decent success rates for those and a fair amount of elk hopping on and off public land. You'd have to research where it's flat enough that you guys can get in there. I have a couple ideas. The bios out of Salmon could help with info as well. Still tricky to get everything to come together to be successful on the hunt but probably as good of a chance as any for a disabled hunter.

You could apply for a controlled tag today in the second drawing. That may make it a little better than the greenfield hunts because you can get late season hunts. PM me if you prefer this option and I can make a recommendation.

Last edited:
OP
B

bigdesert10

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks so much for the ideas so far. These are all great options. I've thought about antelope and bear from a blind, but I think the heat might be an issue on the antelope hunt, and I'm not sure how feasible it would be to get him to a productive bear bait location that is legal distance from the trail. I like the idea of the greenfield hunt. I might have to look into that some more.

Glendon Mullins

Hillbilly Moderator
Staff member
what about hogs in texas?, i think they do baited stands, or if he could one of the helicopter hog hunts, they look like a blast. not sure if that is farther than your 4 hours drives time though

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
I hunted the river breaks of Montana and they had a few blind sites with paved trails in for wheel chairs. They were good pinch points. I'd think you need to try and narrow down what you would like to hunt and then explore the options on making that kinda hunt happen

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk