Gutless field dress method\ caping question

cambo0420

Lil-Rokslider
Hey guys so I have always done the gutting field dressing method but this year if i harvest a buck i am going to try the gutless method. If anyone can post any videos and instructions that would be awesome. I also have a question regarding how to cape a deer while doing the gutless method since you have to cut down the spine. should I cape my buck before I do the gutless method after the caping is done? Any tips would be awesome thanks

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Just cut the hide down the spine from the tail to the base of the head and skin down one side. Debone that side, flip it over, and do the same on the other side. When done reach in for the tenderloins and then cut the hide around the ribcage and skin it forward.

muddydogs

WKR
If you want to have the best cape and reduce hair on the meat cut the hide in the direction the hair lays so cut from the base of the skull to the tail for example.

cnelk

WKR
Base of tail up to between the ears - then be sure to give the taxidermist enough for around the shoulders.

You dont have to skin the head right away. If youre close enough, let the taxi do it.
Just cut the neck at the base of the skull, roll up the cape and get moving

IyOSrRs.jpg

LoGOhgl.jpg

EtqSShm.jpg

johnsd16

WKR

See if this works, trying photobucket again.

Looks like it did. As others have said, start with a slit from base of still to tail. I do that after removing all the legs at the knee. Skin one side and take off the quarters on that side and both back straps. Before flipping the animal over to do the other side just make the “ring” cut around the ribs or mid animal where the back of the cape will be. Do this half way before flipping. Then skin the other side, finishing the cut and take all the hide and head off that goes with the cape.

I've always used the gutting method.We like to keep the cape whole for jackets and gloves,Especially elk hides.I,ve seen Randy Newberg do the gutless method and if the cape was to damaged I would do the same.Once in a while my family gets a little trigger happy.And I have ran out of arrows on occasion.:cool: