Flying with/Checking a Yeti Cooler - Locks/Duct tape/Nothing?

Going to check a Yeti on my flight to Canada so I can bring some meat home.

The TSA locks are not long enough....if I use some regular, "long U" master locks, are they just going to cut them off anyway?

Duct tape at ticket counter prior to tagging, instead of locks?

Never flown with a cooler, so not sure what to do? Thanks for any advise or experiences you can share

Trial153

WKR
Just me, I would use a lighter cooler to get more meat for weight limit.

Rather then a lock use good size E ties through each side to lock it it.
I tape two more to the top so it they get cut, hopefully they replace it.

OP
Doc Holliday
Just me, I would use a lighter cooler to get more meat for weight limit.

Rather then a lock use good size E ties through each side to lock it it.
I tape two more to the top so it they get cut, hopefully they replace it.

Great idea.....you mean zip ties right? I do have plenty of those.

Yeah, Yeti's don't have alot of actual room in them. Its a 3 day trip to get home though, and I don't know how feasible it will be to drain and re-ice, etc., I will not have a vehicle or time to go shopping and run errands....thinking this is a scenario where the Yeti is actually needed over a standard cooler.

Jsunkler

Lil-Rokslider
First of all, what are you going for?

I would seriously consider a lighter weight cooler, a Yeti 65 is 29 lbs and a 75 is 34 lbs empty which doesn't give you much weight left before you are getting charged an over weight fee. I have used coleman xtremes and they have kept meat rock solid frozen for 2+ days, the meat was already processed n frozen and I added dry ice at the start of travel.

Second of all, you mention the trip is three days. You will not have access to your baggage for 3 days, no where to restock dry ice or even ice?

While the yeti might be less hassle, it will cost more in the end. I would look into the logistics of using a lighter cooler and either trusting it will remain cold or finding a location to replenish the ice inside of it.

Wapiti1

WKR
I've only ever used cheap Igloo and Coleman coolers for flying and just duct tape them. In those cases, the meat was frozen prior to packing the coolers. No issues keeping the meat in good shape for 4 days in transit.

Wet ice is a no-no for shipping in a plane. Meat has to be frozen, or dry ice is OK if you mark the cooler as containing dry ice. Not sure I'd put dry ice in a Yeti or other gasket sealed cooler. Dry ice has to vent.

Just my thoughts.

Jeremy

tracker12

WKR
Zip ties. TSA will cut them and should replace them. But I agree with no yeti. I’d go to walley world and get a Coleman extreme

LostArra

WKR
Polar Bear 48, maybe two of them. You will get a lot more meat home than a heavy Yeti (I'm not bashing Yeti but roto molded coolers are boat anchors especially for their capacity)
Polar Bears pack flat in duffel for the trip up there.
Loaded with frozen salmon and halibut on Alaska trips it weighs about 50#.

Polar Bear 48, maybe two of them. You will get a lot more meat home than a heavy Yeti (I'm not bashing Yeti but roto molded coolers are boat anchors especially for their capacity)
Polar Bears pack flat in duffel for the trip up there.
Loaded with frozen salmon and halibut on Alaska trips it weighs about 50#.

I flew to Alaska with one of each this summer. Colman stove and cooking gear in Yeti and Polar Bear empty on the way up. I just put a couple webbing straps around the Yeti when I do it. The Polar Bears are legit btw. Deep froze fish and packed it full, no ice. Middle of summer and Arrived in NM solid as a rock.

I took a soft sided yeti cooler to save weight and throw that in an extra duffle with cape and horns. It was in my main duffle on way up and stuffed it with my sleeping bag and other items. If just checking the cooler use zip ties. Some of the TSA locks with cable loops are pretty long but I heard plan on loosing them if they open since the are finicky to get locked back. Have fun......

I would leave your yeti at home do to the weight issue like everyone has stated. Every year we deer hunt out of state and duct tape our coolers shut. Every year the airlines cut them open to look inside and end up taping them back up. We have had a few cooler lids busted as well and trying to get money back from an airline is like pulling teeth. Just freeze your meat ahead of time, if you can and fly it home with you. Remember no ice or dry ice can be in the cooler. Good luck

When i hunted in Illinois we were able to freeze our deer solid then we just put the cut and wrapped meat in my suitcase (paid the over weight fee) and all other belongings in my brother in laws suitcase and our bow cases. All was still froze solid after the 3.5 hr plane ride and a 3 hr drive home. Probably not the best way to do it but all I'm saying is don't over think this, I also think the Yeti is over kill just on weight itself.