Fire closure

Is the hermosa creek watershed still closed? The FS website indicates that it is but I thought I remembered seeing that it had re-opened awhile back after the 416 fire

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Poser

WKR
It’s closed and it will be at least a year if not 2 or 3 years before the Trail is repaired for travel. It’s completely wrecked.

From what I read as of right now closed until the end of the year. Was told by Forest official that it will be closed until at least June.

Also read it's a $5k fine for being in the closure area. Pretty high trespass fee.

Poser

WKR
I’m still unclear if Stagecoach and Corral Draw Trails are open as out and backs off the CO Trail, but Hotel Draw Rd is open so you could get close to either of those trails if you can verify they are open.

Anyone have a link to the closure map? I don't know if I am looking in the right spot but I keep getting a cannot display page error.

I know everything on the left-hand side of the road is closed after the ski slopes. All the way up to hotel draw. Basically that was an easy boundary to establish so that's where they made it.

Poser

WKR
Trails 2000 has a list of closures though they don’t list the status of Stagecoach and Corral Draw. I guess that makes sense though if they just closed everything to the South of Hermosa Park Rd once you get to Hermosa Creek.

I'm not there and do not know the circumstances. So, keep that in mind before you bash me. But, what in the world does closing the area down do? This is PUBLIC owned land. What are they protecting the public from that common sense says they shouldn't already know?

They closed road(s) because of them getting washed out ... ppl getting stuck ... all around mess during hunting season ..... that place is a mess anyway most of season

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Poser

WKR
I'm not there and do not know the circumstances. So, keep that in mind before you bash me. But, what in the world does closing the area down do? This is PUBLIC owned land. What are they protecting the public from that common sense says they shouldn't already know?

Significant Mudslides have been really bad in the burn area. The highway has been closed multiple times and houses and apartment complex have been inundated with mud and ash resulting in quite a bit of property damage.

Considering a decent portion of our fires are stated by the ‘PUBLIC’...lets just go ahead and remove, assumed common sense.

The burn areas have heavy traffic from fire crews in large vehicles...the last thing needed is the public in the way.
Additionally, the public will flock to a fire like moths to a flame for a damn selfie with smoke of flames in the back ground.

Basically, closures occur to protect the public from themselves because the public lacks common sense.

I appreciate your responses. I'm not new to fire fighting. Nor am I new to the reality that most wildfires are man caused. But, I spent a fair amount of time as an Incident commander and completing fire reports in the past and, man caused is a broad spectrum. I've seen simple things like an excavator tooth sparking on limestone rock in the ground, start a fire. I've also seen where very experienced fire fighters have "back burned" the wrong side of the fire line too. Stuff just happens but, as a whole the public isn't nearly as dumb as being giving credit for in Spike's response. Yes, some are dumb and need to be planned for. Which does require a brad regulation. I was just unaware the fire was still burning and it had burned that badly. Another though of mine was with it being a wilderness area, how much road damage could there be.

Anyways, thanks for the reply's guys. God Bless