Hunting/Traveling west from east coast

Iron pig

Lil-Rokslider
Curious to know if anyone from the east has taken train west on hunting trips? Brought this up with my Father in law, he took the train from Montana to Pennsylvania last year.

Seems it would be a good option for packing coolers, luggage etc, would give you the freedom to work if WiFi avail, and if your job allows you to do so without burning up vaca. sitting on planes/airports.

Let me know your thoughts/stories.

IP

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wapiti1

WKR
Yes, I used to take it from Joliet, IL to Havre, MT. 24hr ride on that route with most of it at night, but you stop at every little town. You can pack a lot more at 4 bags/50 lbs each per person. The seats aren't bad, but you're in them a lot. Food was decent. The tickets were half of a plane ticket, and parking at the Chicago airports would double the trip cost. Not sure what the costs are like now. I did this from about 1999-2003.

Jeremy

OP
I

Iron pig

Lil-Rokslider
Yes, I used to take it from Joliet, IL to Havre, MT. 24hr ride on that route with most of it at night, but you stop at every little town. You can pack a lot more at 4 bags/50 lbs each per person. The seats aren't bad, but you're in them a lot. Food was decent. The tickets were half of a plane ticket, and parking at the Chicago airports would double the trip cost. Not sure what the costs are like now. I did this from about 1999-2003.

Jeremy

Father in Law stated the cost roughly 2/3 the cost of flying, So it is cheaper. The trip from MT to PA took roughly 2 days, so about twice as long as being in airports/Aircraft, Depending where your at.

For easterners wanting to travel west, and stall be affordable with Luggage, It might be a good option, Especially if you can call it your office for some of this time.

Think next year i will try this out.

IP

sounds like a logistical nightmare to get there. an even bigger nightmare once you are there. If you dont have a truck rent one for the trip and drive. i cannot imagine trying to do a hunting trip without a set of wheels.

67bronco

FNG
screw that. I just looked it up from SC to WY would take 71hours part of which was by bus. And 450 bucks one way. I'll just drive the 29 hours

Drive it. Nothing like having your OWN vehicle under your butt when you get somewhere.

philos

Super Moderator
Staff member
Drive it. Nothing like having your OWN vehicle under your butt when you get somewhere.

Very True! I like the thought of no worries about my vehicle versus a rental-when it comes to getting it muddy or bloody.

67bronco

FNG
Only thing that worries me is my reg truck isn't 4x4 since I have 2 old broncos to hunt with. It would be a long ride in one of them out there. I thought about just getting some tire chains, one of those trac grabber things, throw my high lift and a comalong in the back and use some common sense and hope if I need someone, I can find someone to help. I very rarely need 4x4 here in sc but snow and ice changes things

sneaky

"DADDY"
That's only 3and a half hours longer than drive time, and you would have been exhausted from driving. That's assuming you drove straight through

Jeremy

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

WhiteOak

Lil-Rokslider
Was from NJ and stationed in tx. I looked in to a train a few times trying to see if I could save money for travel. Travel time was something crazy like 3 days would have ate up all my leave just riding the damn train. The kicker is it was pretty much the same cost as a plane ticket.

Riding the train once your already out of the northeast may not be bad but there are gonna be so many damn stops and rail switches getting out of there.

That being said a few years ago when in was back in NJ and had to drive to NM and my last truck was on its way out, I rented a car a few times. Got unlimited miles and they are new cars so excellent on gas. I think I actually saved money going with the rental and saving on gas than if I would have drove my truck. You would be surprised the places these cars can make it. I once saw an accord at the top of a spot I was unsure about taking my truck up, of course there was no snow involved but... Get insurance it's like 25 bucks.

Last edited:

sneaky

"DADDY"
That Accord was definitely a rental lol
Was from NJ and stationed in tx. I looked in to a train a few times trying to see if I could save money for travel. Travel time was something crazy like 3 days would have ate up all my leave just riding the damn train. The kicker is it was pretty much the same cost as a plane ticket.

Riding the train once your already out of the northeast may not be bad but there are gonna be so many damn stops and rail switches getting out of there.

That being said a few years ago when in was back in NJ and had to drive to NM and my last truck was on its way out, I rented a car a few times. Got unlimited miles and they are new cars so excellent on gas. I think I actually saved money going with the rental and saving on gas than if I would have drove my truck. You would be surprised the places these cars can make it. I once saw an accord at the top of a spot I was unsure about taking my truck up, of course there was no snow involved but... Get insurance it's like 25 bucks.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

WhiteOak

Lil-Rokslider
I actually ended up bumping into them. It was 2 hippie chicks from California in like a late 90s model accord. I told them it was pretty impressive and she was like yeah I'm sure I'll need all new tires when we get down. They then proceeded to try and start a campfire until I and another promptly told them about the burn ban. I have no idea how they missed all of the signs every couple miles in all of the surrounding counties but Those chicks defiantly had some balls.

N2TRKYS

WKR
I don't think I've paid more than about $80 nonstop each way when flying out West. If I kill something, I'll drive home.