Colorado elk archery not going now

First I want to say good luck to everyone this Saturday in Colorado!

Unfortunately mother nature had different plans for us this year!:mad:

While the west is in a drought and seemingly everywhere there is a wildfire we in NJ have had 14" of rain in the last 30 days including a flash flood that drowned two of my cars that the insurance company wrote off. Fortunately we had comprehensive and gap insurance so the outstanding loans were paid off on one car and there was some equity in the other but having to come up with two down payments and then going on this trip just wasn't doable this year!

It seemed that someone was saying this wasn't the year to go almost from the start. We were first looking at where the 416 fire was then we looked at the Hunter Frying Pan wilderness not understanding just how high the elevation was for someone that lives a block from the bay and mile to the Ocean in NJ. I got many responses and Pm's when I was asking about the unit and what I needed saying that I would need at least a week to acclimate to the elevation before even hunting so we changed our focus to the Steamboat Springs area specifically the Sarvis Creek Wilderness and then the Silver Creek fire shut the wilderness down.

My son and I will get there hopefully next year. The positive of it is I now have all of the equipment we will need and the only thing we will need money for next year is our licenses, gas and food. It will also give me more time to master the OnX Maps as well as learning how to use the Garmin InReach I bought for the trip.

Again good luck and post pics!

GPool1842

WKR
Hate to hear that for you. Makes me realize that the broken pinky toe I suffered last night isn’t thaaaaat bad. Hope you get the insurance figured out. That stuff is no fun...

oldgoat

WKR
Bummer! If we didn't live here, we wouldn't be going this year, but even if we don't see anything it's pretty cheap entertainment now that we have all the gear. I jacked up my middle finger on my draw hand and I shoot trad so it's fairly painful and target panic inducing so I really really have to concentrate and my wife's hip needs replaced and then work is crazy, but I guess I don't want to trade with you! Hope everything gets worked out and you can come back next year with a vengeance the likes the elk have never seen!

ORHunter

WKR
Its easy to say when you aren't the person in the situation but I say go on the trip. You can always make more money but you can never make up the time.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Sorry to hear that. When you live 1600 miles from your hunting grounds, those kind f set backs are deal breakers. Keep the determination to go next year. There is always going to be things that will deter you. So, unless it is another year like this one, make it happen and put the rest of life on down the list. Good luck and God Bless

530Chukar

WKR
Sorry to hear everything going on. Get back out as soon as you can. There are a lot of helpers on this forum but it sounds like
You also got some bad advise too. Don’t let living at sea level deter where you can or can’t hunt. A week to acclimate is a bitch of a stretch too. You know your physical capabilities, go off that on my theta advise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tobe_B

Lil-Rokslider
Tough luck, but look at the positive side of it. By next year the 416 area will be open and recovering and hunt-able!

SWOHTR

WKR
I hear ya. Had a similar thing happen to me in 2011, deer hunting. I ended up making it but the trip wasn’t fun.

1. Ship was late getting into port, almost to the point of pulling in the following day and I’d have missed my flight.

2. Got off the ship at about 9pm and had to find a hotel; couldn’t get as close to airport as I wanted.

3. Taxi driver started to take me to the wrong airport (thought I wanted LAX but I wanted Long Beach). He drove right past it; luckily I had GPS on my phone and was able to correct him. Ordinarily i wouldn’t have but for some reason did that morning.

4. Never saw a deer and had to return 3 days later.

So, I get the whole “I don’t think this is supposed to happen” thing, unfortunately.

man this hurts me. I am heading to colorado next week with my son and I am sitting here hardly able to move because my back hurts so bad. I did not need this to happen now. F@##%#@ ... I have 10 days to figure this out.

boom

WKR
oh no!! sorry for the troubles.

i have now become an expert on high elevations. i spent a week in Cusco Peru. (12,000 feet or so) i also live near the ocean. my resting HR at home is 58, and in Peru it was 100 for three days and went down to 80 after that. my body was chugging along.

i brought a dose of high elevation pills. i took two days worth and just stopped..i felt fine. climbing up the steepest streets ive ever seen..and i live near San Francisco!! Peru people just build sidewalks straight effen up.

the key was hydration. you dont want to let your blood thicken i think. just keep drinking and i felt fine...let my piss get dark yellow and HELLO HEADACHE.

i think 2-3 days will get a healthy person pretty much aclimated. have the doctor give you a test dose of the meds..for some it makes limbs tingle. my wife said her lips went numb..so she stopped the meds.

OP
F
man this hurts me. I am heading to colorado next week with my son and I am sitting here hardly able to move because my back hurts so bad. I did not need this to happen now. F@##%#@ ... I have 10 days to figure this out.

Sorry to hear about your back. Last year I had a construction accident and fell through a set of steps I was about 2/3 of the way up to the next floor and herniated 6 discs. 3 in my neck and 3 in my lumbar region. I was in PT for 4 months and then had an epidural. I could barely walk the dog around the block it would literally bring tears to my eyes. I hope you heal up the thing that worked the best for my back besides the epidural was yoga. It was amazing how much better it worked than the PT.

OP
F
oh no!! sorry for the troubles.

i have now become an expert on high elevations. i spent a week in Cusco Peru. (12,000 feet or so) i also live near the ocean. my resting HR at home is 58, and in Peru it was 100 for three days and went down to 80 after that. my body was chugging along.

i brought a dose of high elevation pills. i took two days worth and just stopped..i felt fine. climbing up the steepest streets ive ever seen..and i live near San Francisco!! Peru people just build sidewalks straight effen up.

the key was hydration. you dont want to let your blood thicken i think. just keep drinking and i felt fine...let my piss get dark yellow and HELLO HEADACHE.

i think 2-3 days will get a healthy person pretty much aclimated. have the doctor give you a test dose of the meds..for some it makes limbs tingle. my wife said her lips went numb..so she stopped the meds.

I am looking at this positively and plan on being in even better shape next year. Since we decided to go this year 3-4 months ago I am down almost 30 pounds and in the best shape I have been in years. I plan on losing another 30 between now and next season, my resting heart rate is 65 and expect it to be lower with the better shape I get. I spoke to my doctor and he gave me pills for elevation sickness and have been using MTN Ops Enduro and have had amazing results when I am backpacking with 50-70 pounds on my back with about 30 bpm less than days i don't take it. I asked my cardiologist about it and he read the ingredients and he said everything in there is good for me and was surprised at the results. I drink a ton of water already often more than a gallon a day while at work unless I have client meetings scheduled because then I would have to excuse myself to go to the bathroom every 15-20 minutes. LOL

Good luck to everyone this year!