How many here have Instagram ?

Call me old school but I see some hunter post pics to face book of elk we just took before we even have it gutted and out. For some reason this bothers me. Maybe it is just me personally, but I see it as a disruption or intrusion of the beauty of where we are and what we are doing. I had a guy miss the window to shoot a nice bull last year because he answered a cell call as we were crawling in for the shot. I was up front and had his rifle set prone waiting for him to come into position, while he took the call the bull slipped away. From then on I insist all phones go on airplane mode during the hunt. Just my personal opinion. So no instagram for me. I will have plenty of time for that crap later or after season.

JMO
Jeff

This...enjoy the moment! Sometimes I regret using my phone for ballistic solving simply because of the distraction of all the other junk on it:)

No Facebook, no Instawhatever

mAv

Lil-Rokslider
Haven't signed up for Instagram, but after checking it out a bit on this thread I may have to do it. Sort of taking the plunge into photography so seems like a decent outlet to share!

Haven't signed up for Instagram, but after checking it out a bit on this thread I may have to do it. Sort of taking the plunge into photography so seems like a decent outlet to share!

Ever take a picture or see something awesome in the outdoors/mountains that you know other outdoors people would appreciate. Well, that's why instagram is nice. If it wasn't called "instagram" and was called something like..."mostbadassoutdoorshots" I think it might be a little better received on this forum. I started following a few guys from the beginning of the thread.

Broz

WKR
I just hope our outdoor world does not evolve and "progress" into a world where we have no reason to leave these cursed computers at all. I mean why actually go there when we can live it right here behind the screen.... Hmmmm, works for many maybe but not for me. I see both sides of it, but just choose to keep a little something from my life to be told later rather than everything a public display with an added "cool Factor" or the "selfie"

I know, I am screwed up. I will be quiet now.

Jeff

mAv

Lil-Rokslider
I wouldn't say you're wrong, but I know plenty of folks who would love to experience ANYONE's adventure in the mountains, and they can't walk out their backdoor and do it themselves. I have a ton of friends who have been waiting (saving) for quite a while to go on an elk hunt in CO- I guess the documentation and pictures allow them to live vicariously through others until it's their time. I wouldn't say it's a substitute by any means. As far as myself- I like to have the pictures to keep track of my adventures- I tell myself someone, someday might be interested in hearing them =)

brushape

WKR
I post plenty of hunting photos on instagram but don't guide or hunt for a living, if I did phones would be left in the truck 100%. Fishing on a charter boat with 25 people at a time I could care less if one person misses a fish because they are tagging us on instagram

Brock A

Super Moderator
Staff member
Bringing this back up. Any new members on Instagram? Lots of good pics on there these days.

DWarcher

WKR
I just hope our outdoor world does not evolve and "progress" into a world where we have no reason to leave these cursed computers at all. I mean why actually go there when we can live it right here behind the screen.... Hmmmm, works for many maybe but not for me. I see both sides of it, but just choose to keep a little something from my life to be told later rather than everything a public display with an added "cool Factor" or the "selfie"

I know, I am screwed up. I will be quiet now.

Jeff

^This

Our world would be a much better place without social media and all that comes with it.

Poser

WKR
There is a new app called Camo Photo which is basically Instagram for hunters only. There are about 16k users on it right now, but seems to be catching on.

chiefhoyt

FNG
chiefjoseph23 sometimes social media is a pain in the ass with out question, but connecting with other people who share your passion can be great.

charvey9

WKR
Social media is what you make of it. Like anything else, except hunting, should be experienced in moderation. I never carry my phone while hunting, but obviously tote a camera. I have just as much fun taking pictues as I do game....but thats just me. I enjoy sharing my time in the wilds, especially with my freinds and family still in the midwest. Social media and rokslide is for the 5 days a week I can't be in the woods to get my outdoor fix.

I love Instagram, and have made some really good connections with people and companies in the outdoor industry through this one ap. Through sharing and being active on social media I've created opportunities for myself to hunt that I otherwise would have never known about. Yet, I totally understand those that want to avoid it like the plague. To each his own.

31b13f34dfc48002a592d4b938396935.jpg

For me, social media pays the bills, so I'm a little biased. The company I work for connects professionals and people to jobs, and I enjoy the work I do. So I would say there is a time and place for social media, and understand both sides of the argument.

Just a head's up: Facebook owns Instagram, same company, different functionality.