What do you listen to?

Often times I'll listen to tunes (mostly hard stuff and always with headphones) when I'm on part of a hike that is a real grind, like coming out on a long trail, or just trying to get from a to b when I just need to put my head down and go. Don't like doing it at night in camp or in the dark. Don't know about the generational thing, I'm 34 and I hike with a couple guys in their late 40s early 50s who do it too. Sometimes it helps keep the legs moving.

Last edited:

ethan

WKR
Funny, when in first started machining I would laugh at all the "old guys" that would complain about other peoples radio. Now, I hate listening to them! I never listen to music in the woods.

i definitely jam out while hiking and working out. nothing cooler than listening to Metallica on top of a mountain. all i need is a stereo at 13,000 feet to blast it to the world.

how cool would it be to play a sax or guitar on a mountain top. listen to that sucker echo down through the basins and valleys would be awesome.

theres a time for quiet but there is also a time to jam.

Lukem

WKR
I don't really listen to a whole lot of music, but a few years back right before elk season, Jeb Corliss' wingsuit video using Awolnation's Sail came out. Needless to say, that's become my highcountry hunting song. Makes the hair on the back of my neck stand up just thinking of it.

husky390

WKR
Squirrels. I listen to lots of squirrels...

No doubt.

When hunting/camping no music for me. My Uncle brings his radio to listen to when we're back at camp and it drives me nuts. I'd rather listen to a popping camp fire. Otherwise, it's old country and heavy metal on my ipod or phone. Chris Ledoux, Waylon, Merle, Cash, Alice in Chains, Lamb of God, Metallica and some Jamey Johnson.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
i definitely jam out while hiking and working out. nothing cooler than listening to Metallica on top of a mountain. all i need is a stereo at 13,000 feet to blast it to the world.

Unfortunately, this seems to be a lot of people's mentality even in the city. They wrongly assume that EVERYONE else around them wants to listen to and feel their thumping and pounding at full volume and bass everywhere they go.

Six years ago four idiots showed up at the top of a trailhead that I was hunting and set up camp. They ran their generator and stereo for half the night. You could hear it from miles away. The day before they showed up that night, I had called in 5 different bulls within 2 miles of that spot. After that I spent two days trying and finally left for another spot when I was convinced there wasn't an elk left in that county.:mad:

Outwest

WKR
If Im solo on a long haul in or out I have been known to throw in some earbuds and jam out. Otherwise I just end up singing one part of a song that had been stuck in my head all day. Pretty much anything, country, rap, but mostly rock and alternative type stuff. I usually don't have both earbuds in at the same time though, just in case bigfoot is yelling at me or something ;)

Having some tunes back at camp is pretty nice as well, but never while I have a bow in my hand.

trdhunter

WKR
Most of the time no music for me. Once in a while I will listen to something while riding out a storm in tent or just before I fall asleep.

OP
JoshTX

JoshTX

WKR
Interesting responses. I probably didn't make clear that when my bow is in my hand, there is no music. I usually hunt the opening the day so I like to hike in 2-3 days prior to the opener. Since I can't hunt anyway, and sometimes it's several miles to where I may camp, I do enjoy some tunes. Once in camp, there is no music until I'm (hopefully) packing out some quarters.

All of this is fine and dandy, but I don't hunt in Grizz or Brown Bear country either. If I did, I don't believe I'd want the distraction.

Thanks again for the responses. :cool:

Buckman

WKR
Many years ago, my bud and I went to Wyoming every year mulie hunting. We truck camped and every nite we would listen to Love and Desperation on the radio. It was perfect. Nice to know theres other sad souls as ourselves. We had good times, many years ago.

JWP58

WKR
What the hell is dubstep? I listen to nature.

At night in my tent, especially if bulls are screaming nearby I listen to the good stuff, Texas country (roger creager, wade bowen, randy rogers, etc)

Bar

Banned
The only time I listen to music is driving in my Jeep. The local station is classic rock which as it turns out I like the best.

I have zero interest in lowering my situational awareness while in the woods..

Agree with this 100%. My head is constantly on a swivel looking/listening to what's around me. I'll point out things my girlfriend is oblivious to. I am part of the millennial generation. Now at work; cranking on the computer all day, I'll have the headphones going to almost anything; except county....never got in to it. Brought that up to my dad and he said there was no way he could focus on work with music playing so I can see it being just my generation.

Out in the woods though; I like to enjoy silence or the sounds of nature.

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'll throw the earbuds in when I'm hiking in once in a while but I always bring them in with me. In the evenings I'll throw them in when I'm settling in for bed, then during mid day I'll bust some tunes when I'm glassing or just killing time. Especially while solo it calms me down a bit and I won't try and talk myself out of a spot or even off the mountain. Usually its rap/rock walking in or trying to make myself not be a baby and leave a spot too early in the day, haha. Then a mix of country and hits during the evenings and hang out times. I personally think if you hunt solo and don't bring a listening device of some sort, you should try it out. I'll download a few podcasts too before going in and listen to those when I'm glassing or something. For me just the voice and conversation makes the time go by when I'm by myself.