this will be unpopular i am sure

first reported wolf litter in the cascades. and I am actually glad to see it

http://www.katu.com/news/local/Oreg...OR-7-Imnaha-California-Journey-261845141.html

I understand that my personal opinion is not one that is popular in the hunting or farming world, but I am happy to see wolves in the cascades. I personally hope to draw a wolf tag at some point in my home state in my life time. I also find wolves extremely interesting and fascinating. will deer and elk numbers drop in that area. maybe, maybe not. wolves have been in the northeastern section of that state for much longer then ODFW is willing to admit and it still has good numbers of deer and elk. time will tell.

Beastmode

WKR
I hate this situation. Before long they will have a steady population in California. Between them and the mountain lions we will have such low deer numbers hunting will soon be a thing of the past. Its very sad that people would actually wish for more predators in an area. If you want to see real proof I will take you to some areas that I hunted as a kid with my dad where you consistently saw incredible deer numbers. Now if you see a doe you are doing good.

mt100gr.

WKR
Yeah, unfortunately wolves have the ability to exploit areas of low predator density through very sudden reproduction "booms". Large litters of pups thrive when food is plentiful and before you know it, the state is full of wolves. Then what? It took a long time to get rid of them the first time and that was with tactics that surely won't fly in this day and age.

In a time when lions, bears, and coyote numbers are high the last thing we should do is encourage another top-tier predator to make a living off our wild game herds. It's not that the wolves themselves will necessarily decimate the herds but the addition of another competitor for limited resources will definitely take it's toll. And it will be noticeable. IMO.

Predators intellect
Fox has a high school degree.
Coyote has his BA.
Wolf has a PHD.

I don't think inviting a veracious predator into a violative environment is a win. We as humans have replaced this highly intelligent animal. They're can't be two alpha predators competing for the same food source. This is coming to fruition in Montana and Idaho.

I've seen a wolf in North Western Colorado near the Wyoming border. Take that as you will, but I saw wolf in Colorado 2 years ago.

OR Archer

WKR
This is NOT good news. Elk and deer populations in the Cascade range have been suffering for years now. It already hard enough to keep an elk calf or deer fawn alive with the over population of cougars and bears we already have. Now add in another apex predator and it's only going to compound the issues we already face here in this state. And if you think they haven't had an impact on the elk in the NE portion of the state well I will beg to differ. Is there still decent numbers of elk? Yes but to insinuate that the wolves haven't affected the elk populations and behavior is a little off base. I've hunted the Caps for the last 6 years and since the wolves have moved in the elk behavior and populations have definitely changed and not for the better.

And if you believe that these two wolves just happened to "settle" in this area and "find" each other then I have some ocean front property in Kansas to sell you.

littlebuf

Banned
another uneducated hunter. divide and conquer is an old and proven tactic. it will work with us too

Zuludog

FNG
Wolves in the zones I hunt have turned areas that were once plentifull with ungulates into areas where you rarely see a track. The amount of animals a pack of wolves can kill or drive off in a short period of time is staggering. Even here in AB where it is virtually open season on wolves year round it is very hard to keep them in check. I would NEVER wish for more wolves.

OP
tipsntails7
another uneducated hunter. divide and conquer is an old and proven tactic. it will work with us too

Uneducated is the incorrect word Littlebuf. You may disagree with my opinions which is your right but that's all your statment is. Opinion. The decline in elk populations that were present in Yellowstone is not the norm. That is an outlier. Will there be a decline I'm sure, but I personally do not invision a complete massacre of ungulate populations. California may be another story because they continue to ignore the cougar problem that is growing rapidly every year.

Wyoming: 120,000 elk estimated statewide, 50 percent above objective; the state of Wyoming continues to manage for a reduction in elk population.
Montana: 150,000 elk estimated statewide, 14 percent over objective. Montana has the second highest elk population of any state.
Idaho: Estimated population: 101,100, slightly below objective; 23 of the state's 29 game management zones have elk numbers within targets or above.

These are facts. Will behavior change yes, will elk and deer become extinct? No

The idea of a hunter welcoming wolves to a state that already has low deer numbers is just ludicrous. That's akin to welcoming gun control, lead ammo bans and no hunting on weekends.

OP
tipsntails7
This is NOT good news. Elk and deer populations in the Cascade range have been suffering for years now. It already hard enough to keep an elk calf or deer fawn alive with the over population of cougars and bears we already have. Now add in another apex predator and it's only going to compound the issues we already face here in this state. And if you think they haven't had an impact on the elk in the NE portion of the state well I will beg to differ. Is there still decent numbers of elk? Yes but to insinuate that the wolves haven't affected the elk populations and behavior is a little off base. I've hunted the Caps for the last 6 years and since the wolves have moved in the elk behavior and populations have definitely changed and not for the better.

And if you believe that these two wolves just happened to "settle" in this area and "find" each other then I have some ocean front property in Kansas to sell you.

I thought the song was arizona?? Anyway I've hunted the wallowas for over a decade, my father has hunted them over 35 years. Wolves have been there the entire time. Wolves were there when odfw refused to acknowledge it. My father was called a liar at a meeting when he stated wolves he saw wolves in the late 80's. Elk numbers and harvest numbers and success rates are virtually the same. Do I want oregon to be overrun with wolves no. But I've been sitting next to a fire shooting the chit with my father and friends at camp and had wolves sound off a couple hundred yards from us. That is an experience I would never want to give up. Call me a hippe, uneducated and a moron. I'm unconcerned. I think this topic gets blown out of proportion greatly.do I want oregon flooded with wolves? No but I also don't think wolves are the devil incarnate.

Last edited:

wapitibob

WKR
Oregon elk population now down below 100,000. I might agree with you on the wolf if we had predator management in this state but right now it's a feeding frenzy for bear and cougar. Adding a third predator to the mix, completely unchecked, is not good for people wanting a balanced predator/prey mix.

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Doesn't Oregon already have a Cougar problem and a shit load of leaf licking tree huggers? Good Luck!

OP
tipsntails7
Oregon elk population now down below 100,000. I might agree with you on the wolf if we had predator management in this state but right now it's a feeding frenzy for bear and cougar. Adding a third predator to the mix, completely unchecked, is not good for people wanting a balanced predator/prey mix.
Now that I can agree with. I'm suprised they have not reopened bear baiting yet. And the only real way to make a dent in cougar population is using dogs. Regretably that seems to be being pushed out the door in nearly every state.

wapitibob

WKR
Oregon is an innitiative petition state. anybody can bring legislation to the people and as such, baiting and dogs were voted out by the majority. ODFW has their hands tied and legislation will have to be passed to reinstate it. It's not going to happen in my lifetime.....