HOT TIP- Cheap/Light weight/Compact method to keep your water filters clean

GotDraw?

WKR
OK- I originally posted this totally SLICK FILTRATION TIP as a response to hunter on this site. However, given the number of people that have filtration issues and the fact that a plugged filter can ruin a hunt, I'm reposting this as a separate post...

Here's my *MAJOR* recommendation for ANY gravity filter or even pump style filters-- pre-filter your water. This will keep your filter from getting fouled, even clear water has plenty of debris in it and if you are forced to drink from a really silt laden source this will device will pay for itself at once. Fouled filter can = ruined hunt.

The perfect, cheap ($12), light (2.1 oz), compact, re useable solution: Go on Ebay and search for: Industrial Diesel Filter Bag

Your will find a listing from seller, "dudadiesel", select the following drop downs:

BAG TYPE- choose "Nylon Monofilament" these bags dry instantly, fold down to nothing and hold no water when you're done. (Felt bags take forever to dry).
SIZE- choose 7"x16"
MICRON- choose 10 micron- this size will capture almost all silt and misc flotsa, etc before you pump filter sees it.

For gravity filters-- Use the bag by stuffing it into your dirty water bag, the large lip ring on the bag will remain outside your dirty bag. Then pour in dirty water to fill your bag. Once full, pull the pre-filter out, turn it inside out and give it shake. All the debris will fall out and *viola* you're good to go for the next time!

For pump filters, drop your pick up in the filter bag, then put the bag in the water. You may need to leave the bag top out of the water or put a rubber band around it so it stays tight to your hose. However you do it, do it, then start pumping. When done, shake the bag off, all the sand, etc will fall off and you can and put it away.

(note- I am not affiliated with, nor do I know dudadiesel).

Cheers!

JL

luke moffat

Super Moderator
Cool idea!!! Gonna give it a whirl! Skeptical on how it'll do with glacial silt, but will see how it goes. Got the 10 Micron 7X16 nylon baggie coming. For $12 why not right?

Thanks!

Take-a-knee

Banned
Excellent. This may just pay for itself several times over in filter costs. Good for the "go-bag" even if your area's water doesn't require such.

SHTF

WKR
Classified Approved
Most useful DIY I've seen yet just ordered one. You should contact that guy for some free bags for as many as he will sell based on this post. Thanks

MIKEYB

WKR
I got one on the way also. Nice find. I have any area that I will hunt this year that has dried up with only two known waterholes that I will not be fond of running my filter through or drinking from. I was trying to avoid packing in water. This may help me get passed not cloging my pump. Hell I might give the sawyer another shot!

KMD

Banned
Interesting alternative!
I pack along a couple coffee filters to pre-filter scuddy water prior to it hitting the Sawyer. They weigh nothing, and are rated similarly in micron filtration. But having a pre-fit sleeve for the Platy bag is a very good idea...

THANKS!

These small coffee filters rubber-banded around your intake are pretty cheap too. <g>

209307_1331650_HKI-209307.jpg

endorice

Lil-Rokslider
So, these links and prices are valid as of 5/7/2018:

Ebay link for the nylon monofilament 7" x 16", 10 micron is $12.10 with free shipping.

At Amazon the same thing is $14.35 and free shipping for prime members.

Thanks to the OP. I've been needing to do this for some time, and will be doing a trip this spring in which I'll be filtering from glacial till.

Last edited: