Favorite "Celebratory whisky"

chas

Lil-Rokslider
When your sitting around the fire, after a successful hunt, what would be your choice of liquor. Crown Royal for this guy.

Last edited:

Stid2677

WKR
Makers Mark, Crown, Apple Crown, Fireball or anything my buddy still has. :)

P8060090_zps6q0badlc.jpg

StrutNut

Lil-Rokslider
I typically have a celebration cigar. Nothing like walking out with a stogie going. As far as a drink, I do enjoy Makers Mark!

Mosby

WKR
When I go to Alberta it is Gibson's Whisky. You can't get it in the US and the guides request it. Makers Mark in the US.

bourbon

Lil-Rokslider
Eagle Rare (10 or 17 year) and an Opus X Super Belicoso...

Oh and it's spelled Whiskey down here (unless you try to be an oddball like Bill Samuels Jr @ Makers) :)

Pappy Van Winkle Reserve, but it has gotten incredibly hard to acquire and I'm not sure it's worth the trouble and price. My current available favorite bourbon (whiskey is too generic and vague) is Blanton's Single Barrel. Eagle Rare is good. Four Roses Reserve is an excellent pour and George T Stagg is amazing if you can find it. If you've got the backbone for it, Stagg Jr is one very stout glass. I've got a new Stagg Jr in the cabinet and its 132 proof!

bourbon

Lil-Rokslider
Pappy Van Winkle Reserve, but it has gotten incredibly hard to acquire and I'm not sure it's worth the trouble and price. My current available favorite bourbon (whiskey is too generic and vague) is Blanton's Single Barrel. Eagle Rare is good. Four Roses Reserve is an excellent pour and George T Stagg is amazing if you can find it. If you've got the backbone for it, Stagg Jr is one very stout glass. I've got a new Stagg Jr in the cabinet and its 132 proof!
George T Stagg, which is uncut barrel strength, is usually in the 144 proof range...however, it drinks like it is 90 proof. It is extremy complex and wonderful. Im not a fan of Stagg Jr.

If you are going to find it right now is the time to look. The 2015 Bufflo Trace Antique collection was released 2 weeks ago....you never know you might get lucky.

Which Pappy do you prefer? I like the 15 year the best of the big 3. If you find Weller Antique it is the same mash bill, same rickhouse, same barrel profile as Pappys but aged 12 years and for 1/4 the price.

Wow Kevin, you got some pretty high class taste. I'd choose Pappy for sure although, at upwards of 3K/fifth, I don't believe that I'll ever be able to afford it, not to mention the fact that it's so damn difficult to come by. My all-around go to bourbon is either Knob Creek single barrel reserve or for special occasions, ie., whenever I'm lucky enough to tip something over, it's Booker's.
0199df8b2255f7c407f3ac9247bd9aaa.jpg

this was my college mascot...

L_Lane-7_zpsiqqnhx6i.jpg

so inevitability a lot of this was consumed during my college years and stuck with me...

17417_zps6wiqgcut.jpg

MTarrowflinger

Lil-Rokslider

Blanton's single barrel cask strength for this guy. I have two bottles, 133 proof and 134 proof.

bourbon

Lil-Rokslider
I'd choose Pappy for sure although, at upwards of 3K/fifth, I don't believe that I'll ever be able to afford it, not to mention the fact that it's so damn difficult to come by.

LOL 3k a 750? Who in the hell is fetching that price for it?

As a Kentuckian, we really do put bourbon in our babies bottles, and life long bourbon drinker this "bourbon boom" is both a blessing and a curse.

As recent as 5 years ago I could point you to 5 different liquor stores in town that had PVW sitting on the shelves for weeks if not months after release. Now, things have gone seriously off the tracks. I love it for my state and our fine distillers, but bottles going for 3 - 4 x or greater MSRP is ridiculous.

If want a true "treat" search out a bottle of Old Rip Van Winkle 10 year 90 proof, no longer made, which originally sold for 25$ a 750. Exquisite stuff.

VernAK

WKR
Try Costco's Kirkland Canadian Whiskey [$19.95 for 1.75L].......you'll save a pile of money for you next trip. The only dislike is the weight of the glass bottle so I have to put it into a plastic jug for Supercub trips.

Good bourbon is in demand, and some of it is going for astronomical prices. People are buying cases and hoarding it for future use, or gifts or to sell. I'd never pay $3k for any bottle, but maybe $250-$300 for a good one. Blanton's can be had for $40-$60 and many other good ones fall in that price range for a fifth. Most of the antique series (Van Winkle, GT Stagg, etc) are so limited in quantity and distribution that it's pointless to go after them. If they show up...grab it. Maybe a bigger secret is that some bottlings are superior in taste yet get overlooked by those who equate high price with high quality. Beam, WT, Knob, Four Roses, Evan W, and many others offer really good selections at fair prices. Woodford's Reserve is very popular and well regarded, but I don't find it to be anything special. Pour me a rocks glass of Blanton's and put me in a big chair or next to a fire.

MTarrowflinger

Lil-Rokslider
Kevin,

Have you ever had the cask strength Blanton's single barrel? By the way, great taste. By far my favorite bourbon, as well.