Favorite "Celebratory whisky"

Any store worth going to will usually have Scotch separated by region. However these are regions and not styles, so while regionally there are similarities in taste there is no reason why a highland scotch couldn't be made to taste like an Islay scotch, but it generally isn't done and the taste has a lot to do with the peat grown in the area. There are several online stores that you can use to see lists by region. Usually blended scotch (like JW) isn't identified by region, only single malts are.

I have a lot to learn... thanks again for the introduction!

mntnguide

WKR
I've got a bottle of 23 year old pappy van winkle waiting for the right event to cause me to finally open it! I drank a 20 yr bottle and it was great... been hanging onto the 23 for years now

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Fjelljeger

Lil-Rokslider
For an affordable yet very drinkable whiskey try the Jameson Caskmates: Aged In Craft Beer Barrels: Stout Edition. For around $35 it doesn't break the bank.

I've got a bottle of 23 year old pappy van winkle waiting for the right event to cause me to finally open it! I drank a 20 yr bottle and it was great... been hanging onto the 23 for years now

Wow! You got something very special there brother, but I'm just stating the obvious.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For an affordable yet very drinkable whiskey try the Jameson Caskmates: Aged In Craft Beer Barrels: Stout Edition. For around $35 it doesn't break the bank.

Tomorrow isn't promised. "Never delay kissing a pretty girl or opening a bottle of whiskey." E.Hemmingway.

Fill your flask with it. Invite your buddies over for an elk steak and to drink the rest. Bring the flask on the next adventure that scares you. Celebrate conquering that mountain with the flask and those few that made it there with you.

Or save it. I'm learning to carpe the hell out of my diem.

Mjm316

Lil-Rokslider
Tomorrow isn't promised. "Never delay kissing a pretty girl or opening a bottle of whiskey." E.Hemmingway.

Fill your flask with it. Invite your buddies over for an elk steak and to drink the rest. Bring the flask on the next adventure that scares you. Celebrate conquering that mountain with the flask and those few that made it there with you.

Or save it. I'm learning to carpe the hell out of my diem.
Love that Hemingway saying! I think I found a new signature for my rockslide profile if ya don't mind...

Hard to sit on that one for that long, but if it's unopened the secondary price has risen so much you may consider selling it. Last I checked it was about $3k. I am tempted to buy a pour just to try it. The going rate is about $63 for a 1oz pour (carefully measured). I bought a pour of 20 for $46 and it was great to get to try it and it was very good. I found the 15 to be too hot and lacking complexity and nowhere near good enough to justify the price tag ($32 IIRC)

You bourbon connoisseurs might want to look at a couple of Jefferson's bourbons. Jefferson's Reserve Pritchard Hill Cabernet Cask is a superbly smooth and deep whiskey with a definite nose (and slight taste) of the cabernet wine barrel it spent time in.

Jefferson's Reserve Groth Cask Finish is fairly similar to the Pritchard Hill but I think it has an even more mellow taste with definite cabernet barrel effects.

My wife is not a straight-bourbon drinker but she can't resist grabbing a couple sips of Jeffer when I pour myself a glass. This isn't cheap or even moderately priced bourbon. I paid somewhere north of $70 for the Groth and about $90 for the Pritchard bottle.

Jauwater

WKR
Bring alcohol into the mix, and you get 200+ responses, and 14k views. Interesting to see what threads draw attention. Not a big drinker, but I'll pick up some peppermint candy moonshine when it's around. Bout the only alcohol I've took a liking too.

Sent from my SM-S975L using Tapatalk

mntnguide

WKR
Hard to sit on that one for that long, but if it's unopened the secondary price has risen so much you may consider selling it. Last I checked it was about $3k. I am tempted to buy a pour just to try it. The going rate is about $63 for a 1oz pour (carefully measured). I bought a pour of 20 for $46 and it was great to get to try it and it was very good. I found the 15 to be too hot and lacking complexity and nowhere near good enough to justify the price tag ($32 IIRC)
Mine is 100% unopened... I've been offered quite a bit for it, but haven't needed the money that bad yet!

Mine is 100% unopened... I've been offered quite a bit for it, but haven't needed the money that bad yet!

I wouldn't open it. More mojo value in ownership and display. Don't get me wrong. I'd love to locate a bottle of PVW, but I wouldn't pay more than retail to get it. I've seen bottles for sale at $2,000....simple insanity.

I wouldn't open it. More mojo value in ownership and display. Don't get me wrong. I'd love to locate a bottle of PVW, but I wouldn't pay more than retail to get it. I've seen bottles for sale at $2,000....simple insanity.

I think $2k is about right for the 20 year, but I'm pretty sure the 23 is above it. Retail is like $250 for the 23 (I think, never actually seen it so couldn't say), so I'm not sure I'd even pay that and open it.

JulianT

FNG
Although Jefferson's doesn't distill their own the Zoellers probably have the best knack for bourbon selection in KY IMHO. Kevin you've got the bottle that beat PVW in a blind tasting and paid what....$50 for it? Bourbon Insanity is definitely rampant.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Exactly Julian. I was going to mention that but thought better of it. Nothing negative on Pappy as a product, but the lore behind it...and resulting demand, is driving the price far beyond logic. A $2000 bottle yields 25 shots at $80 each. Even the empty bottles sell for considerable prices. Very collectible whiskey.

Gr8bawana

WKR
People who can afford to drink pricey stuff like that can probably afford to have a matched set of Purdy shotguns.

purdey-sunking-right-lock.jpg