Canvas wall tent comparisons

armyjoe

Super Moderator
I'm gonna chat with Chris Davis at the ISE but I'm 99.9% sure I'm getting a full tent setup from Davis this year. 12X14. I've researched a lot and fantastic company and local too. Can't beat that with a stick

Ive used both Davis and Montana canvas. I'd take a Davis hands down every time. They use a sunforger treatment which is way lighter than the one waxy coating Montana canvas uses. The tents fold like sheets compared to the Montana ones and are also much lighter.

Last edited:

husky390

WKR
The best time to buy a Davis is January or February. They usually have a booth setup at the Sportsmans show in Denver. I'd definitely recommend a screen door and extra windows if you can swing it. Denver Tent and Awning makes a good tent as well but they are more expensive than Davis.

For lighting, all I did was buy a 45' LED light strand for my 20' tent, double looped it through the rafters, plugged it into a Honda generator and it was bright enough to play cards in there. Definitely get a coal grate with your stove and toss a couple lumps in it before going to bed and it will stay warm through the night.

You will also want to buy the military surplus stakes for the guy lines and a small sledgehammer. Pounding in all those stakes with a carpenters hammer sucks and will give you popeye arm.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
You will also want to buy the military surplus stakes for the guy lines and a small sledgehammer. Pounding in all those stakes with a carpenters hammer sucks and will give you popeye arm.

I have tried a carpenters hammer, a 3lb sledge, and a simple hatchet with the flat back on it. I MUCH prefer using the simple lightweight hatchet, which is lighter than both the sledge and the hammer.

For lighting I just use a propane lantern. I don't want a generator in my elk camp, I like having the elk around my camp and listening to them bugle all night.

husky390

WKR
I'm considering getting another Davis Tent, this time a 12'x14' with traditional poles, but I have a question for those who own one that size. How much room does it take up when stored? I want to be able to haul it in my Jeep Cherokee with a stove. Poles would be lashed to the roof rack.

I went with the 12x14 Wilderness from the wall tent shop. It will last as long as I want to own it and sets up pretty easy with the extra frame set.

RCR

Lil-Rokslider
A buddy and I picked up a Davis 14x16 at a local RMEF banquet a couple years ago, but we have only had it out a couple times. It didn't have any Windows, so it was an oven when I set it up early season. I just dropped it off at the shop last week to have a window added to the back and a screen door to the front. Rick gave me a tour and walked me through all the options. All said I'll have it back and ready to go for under $125. I'm excited to get it back for some spring turkey hunting up in SD.

sneaky

"DADDY"
Anyone have any experience with the Reliable tents out of Billings? Seen them in some searches as well.